U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:19 AM

26 posts, read 122,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terri0808 View Post
First, I found this site while trying to find a gymnastics place in Oldham county for my children... boy, do I wish I had known about this FOUR months ago! All of you are so helpful and your information has been amazing. To Oliver 30: We relocated here from Milwaukee. We had been told Oldham Co was the best for schools. We blindly came on a 7 day house hunting trip and purchased a home in the Buckner area on our last day here. I am still new, but I can offer my perspective on things. Our children in K5 & 2nd grade are at Buckner Elementary. We can only say great things at this point. Keep in mind, most schools here combine K&1st and 2&3 grade into one class. This was totally new to us. Let me know if you have more questions about that. We live in Grand Villa. I would also suggest the following subdivisions: Darby Pointe, Kamer Place, Stonefield Trace and Heather Green. The last one is very new, but they do have many "spec" homes for sale. Use semonin.com for a real estate search engine. Very helpful. I can honestly tell you I feel like I know something about most every area of Oldham County due to our week here. I can try to answer any questions. We do have a LaGrange address, but basically, we live in Buckner. I don't understand the postal system. We liked Crestwood too. Also, we liked Prospect. Please let me know if I can help. We were blessed with the outcome of our choices, but having someone to assist with our move, would have been great! Good Luck!
Terri0808--

Thank you so much for your reply! It's GREAT hearing from someone who has gone through what I'm about to go through! I sent you a private message with more questions, etc. Didn't know if you checked those messages often so I wanted to reply here so you know that I saw your post and am interested in talking with you some more. Thanks again!

Oliver30
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 08:26 AM

20 posts, read 75,210 times
Oliver, are you having luck selling your house in Michigan? It took us 6 months to sell ours in Portage, MI and we were lucky. Not fun.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopers View Post
Oliver, are you having luck selling your house in Michigan? It took us 6 months to sell ours in Portage, MI and we were lucky. Not fun.
Jopers--

Unfortunately, no, we're not having much luck with selling our house. It's been on the market since November 1st. We have had several showings and even one lowball offer but not a lot of activity at all.

There are about six other homes in our neighborhood that are for sale, too. Not a good thing. Also, the homes that have sold in our sub within the last year have been sold with quite large losses for the sellers. We realize that we're not in a very good situation but we're still hoping for the best. Gotta remain optimisitc, right ?!

Old 02-22-2007, 11:27 AM

20 posts, read 75,210 times
Yeah, things are even worse there now then they were when we left. I'm sorry to say this, but I'm glad we left Michigan. It was a great place to grow up back in the 60's and 70's, but no longer. Hang in there.

jp

Old 06-30-2007, 07:38 PM

6 posts, read 13,080 times
Just wondering where Oliver 30 ended up in Oldham County. We may be making a move out there, and I was curious as to where you finally settled. Would love any information you could offer. We have middle school and elementary age children. Thanks.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:35 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,120,610 times
As a real estate professional, based on all that you have written over the past few weeks, I would lead you to look at homes around I-71 exits 17 or 18. There are some good homes in a wide value range at both of those exits.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakate View Post
Just wondering where Oliver 30 ended up in Oldham County. We may be making a move out there, and I was curious as to where you finally settled. Would love any information you could offer. We have middle school and elementary age children. Thanks.
Mamakate,

Well, we haven't moved to KY yet! We're still in MI trying to sell our house. No luck so far. Based on the location of my husband's job, we'll most probably end up in Buckner. I have to admit that I'm not really looking forward to the move. I like where we live now and don't think that area has as much to offer as we're used to here. All of the positive comments that I read on this forum about KY and Oldham County do make me feel somewhat better but I still don't think I'll love it. I know it's all about having a positive attitude, but I'm just not there yet.

Good luck to you as you search for an area. Have you visited Oldham County yet? What are your impressions?

Old 07-02-2007, 06:15 AM

69 posts, read 300,414 times
Have you looked at Hillcrest subdivision in Prospect? This feeds into Goshen elementary, North Oldham MS & HS. Sounds like this would be ideal for someone transferring from out of state to KY-most everyone in that subdivision is from out of state, has kids, plays sports, etc.-all you're looking for neighbors become like family b/c you're all in the same boat! -may be an easier transition for your kids.Close to the Gene Snyder & 71.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:41 PM

6 posts, read 13,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schools View Post
Have you looked at Hillcrest subdivision in Prospect? This feeds into Goshen elementary, North Oldham MS & HS. Sounds like this would be ideal for someone transferring from out of state to KY-most everyone in that subdivision is from out of state, has kids, plays sports, etc.-all you're looking for neighbors become like family b/c you're all in the same boat! -may be an easier transition for your kids.Close to the Gene Snyder & 71.
Thanks for the information. We don't know if we are heading to Louisville, but appreciate all that we have read concerning the area. I'll continue to check the threads!

Old 07-06-2007, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,543 times
Default Buckner...

Just thought you might be interested in our experience. We just spent 4 days with a Buyers Agent dedicated to showing us everything that fit our criteria in Oldham County. Suprisingly, we found and got a contract on the PERFECT home for us, and it is in Darby Pointe. Lovely Cape Cod on 1.1 acres, 6 years old, but just like new. I thought I would reply since it was recommended to look in Darby Pointe. We just got home in Orlando this morning, and are starting the process of selling our house here. Can't wait!

We went all through Prospect, LaGrange, Crestwood, Buckner, a couple houses in Pewee Valley. Darby Pointe though was just so nice (except for some houses backing up to I-71) and it is right off 146 at the Buckner exit of I-71 making it convenient for my trips to the airport. I think we looked at near 30 homes in a 3-day period and nothing we saw for the price/age/condition/location/condition of the home came close to what we saw there.

Not sure the price range you are looking in, but feel free to ask any questions since we just finished the process of driving in, looking, etc. Nothing but praise for our agent that stuck with us even most of the day on the 4th of july to find us our perfect house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky