U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 09:36 PM

26 posts, read 122,894 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Kentucky as soon as we can sell our house in Michigan. We need to live in Oldham County because my husband will be working in Madison, IN and it's the closest location in KY.

We've only seen one subdivision in Buckner so we don't know what else is out there. Any suggestions?

We've heard that the schools in Oldham County are great, but which is the best elementary school?

This move is going to be very hard for our family so I'm hoping to make it the best it can be by making smart choices about where we live, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2006, 06:33 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,120,610 times
Default What is best OC location?

The best places to live in Oldham County depend entirely upon your lifestyle, your career situations, your need for shopping etc.

Do you desire a new home or a previously owned property? There are many factors and Oldham County allows most people to live according to their lifestyles better than most places.

As for education, once again, the factors play.

I recommend you list your desires, golf score them, then choose the best site for your family's needs

Old 10-16-2006, 10:09 PM

As far as type of home, we'd prefer a previously owned home or one that has recently been constructed. In other words, we don't want to build ourselves. Been there, done that...not interested.

Education is extremely important as we have three elementary school aged children. Of course, we'd like the best elementary, middle & high school ( )for them. (Who wouldn't want that for their kids though, right?!)

Also, activities for my kids is important, too. They play soccer, take gymnastics, dance and are involved in Girl Scouts. We would also need to be somewhat near a Catholic church as they will take Religion classes after school or in the evenings.

My husband will be working in Madison, IN. We already acknowledge that it will be more than a little jaunt to get to work every day. We're just hoping to find somewhere in Oldham County that minimizes his commute. The max he's willing to drive is 50-ish miles one way.

Ideally, I'd like to be close to shopping. I don't want to have to drive 1/2 hour to get a gallon of milk or pick up something at Target. I'm used to being very close to many, many different stores and malls. What can I say? I'm a suburban girl at heart . Not sure if I'm cut out for rural life. Is that how you'd describe life in Oldham County...rural?

Old 10-23-2006, 12:59 AM

6,830 posts, read 14,361,013 times
Oldham County is definitely suburban with rural parts. Where are you from in Michigan and I may be able to compare? It has large subdivisions and homes but maintains a rural feel in parts due to a preservation of horse farms, rolling hills, etc. It is really an upper class suburb not unlike any other in the Midwest or Upper South. Its main problem is it lacks a lot of good (chain) retail at this point, but a new development will be opening over the next few years in Buckner that will add all the retail you could want:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:qD9T0V0t8X8J:www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article%3FAID%3D/
20060323/NEWS0102/603230394/-1/SCENE2004+%22buckner+crossings%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=c lnk&cd=3 (broken link)

I can assure you Oldham County will probably be a welcome change from Michigan. It is warmer, people are nicer, the schools are good, etc. In fact, Crestwood, KY in Oldham County has been named one of America's best places to live by CNN Money. Anywhere has good schools but generally North Oldham schools are better. Oldham County is among the fastest growing counties in the state, and I think in the country.

I would try and stay near one of the I-71 exits in Oldham County. All are within 45 minutes of Madison, with La Grange being the closest. La Grange also offers the best quaint small town feel with its own electic downtown full of unique shops as well as more chain retail (including Walmart) than anywhere in Oldham (which won't last when Buckner gets its lifestyle center in the next 5 years). You can't go wrong with Crestwood, Buckner, or La Grange. Crestwood is the closest to Jefferson County (Louisville) and is within 5 minutes of massive sprawlburbia (I am an urbanite and live in the wonderful Highlands neighborhood in the city). This lifestyle center mall is within 10 minutes of any I-71 exit:

http://www.thesummitonline.com/louisville/index.html (broken link)

I really suggest just looking at a google map of the area! You will see that the entire corrisor up 71 and KY 146 is largely developed with little subdivisions.

Last edited by Marka; 10-23-2006 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: too long link - get rid of the space while copying

Old 10-24-2006, 11:29 PM

Thanks so much for your reply! I really appreciate it!

We are currently living in Canton, MI. Have you heard of it? Are you originally from Kentucky? Or are you a "transplant"?

You're comments make me feel somewhat more comfortable about moving to KY. We'll keep Buckner on the list of considerations. Do you know if the schools that serve Buckner are considered North Oldham, which you refer to as the best? We will also check out Crestwood, too.

Recently someone else suggested checking out Goshen & Prospect. What's your opinion of these towns?

Old 10-25-2006, 05:45 AM

6,830 posts, read 14,361,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver30 View Post
Thanks so much for your reply! I really appreciate it!

We are currently living in Canton, MI. Have you heard of it? Are you originally from Kentucky? Or are you a "transplant"?

You're comments make me feel somewhat more comfortable about moving to KY. We'll keep Buckner on the list of considerations. Do you know if the schools that serve Buckner are considered North Oldham, which you refer to as the best? We will also check out Crestwood, too.

Recently someone else suggested checking out Goshen & Prospect. What's your opinion of these towns?

Never heard of Canton, but I looked at it on a Google map and it appears to be a far west suburb of Detroit. A comprable area would most likely be somewhere in Jefferson County which recently merged with the city of Louisville. Realize Louisville's metro area population is around 1.2 million compared to nearly 5 million for Detroit, so any "far" suburb in Louisville will put you much closer to the heart of the city.

Similar areas to Canton would be around I-265 in the Northeast part of Jefferson County which is now considered all part of Louisville since the city merged with and annexed its suburbs in the county in 2003. In fact, I would not be surprised if it is a carbon copy--most suburban areas across the US are homogenized. As you will see, Louisville defines its suburbs much different than Detroit MSA or much of the country. Locals refer to the NE part of the county as the "east end" which is a horrible misnomer bc it includes a massive chunk of the eatern part of the County.

As for Oldham County, it is a little more quaint at this point and all the towns you named are really nothing more than a collection of subdivisions. Goshen and Prospect are very wealthy and a bit more high end and straddle US 42, which is a very scenic road that ends in beautiful rolling hills with scenic horse farms and mansions once you get past Goshen. Prospect stretches into Oldham County from Jefferson (Louisville) and is well known for being quite upscale. On its northern terminus it sort of "merges" with subdivisions considered part of Goshen.

Still, I would not discount living in the actual city of Louisville (Jefferson County). It is relatively cheap and is well known as a great place to raise a family. There are good public schools if you use the magnet system. However, Louisville is a huge Catholic city so sending kids to Catholic school is huge here. There are probably 50 Catholic elementary schools and 10 Catholic high schools in the metro. It also has a very large Christian school system, Jewish schools, and other non demonimational private schools.

Within Jefferson County, there is a suburb known as Anchorage that retains its own school district that is separate from the City-County merged school system. Anchorage, along with Oldham County, are most likely the best school districts in the state.

I am a Louisville native who has recently moved back from Chicago. What I love about it here is the low cost of living, low traffic, and low crime all in a city with serious big city amenities like arts, nice restaurants, and culture. The neighborhood I live in (Highlands 40204 zip) is really like a smaller version of something in Chicago. The beauty of Louisville is you can actually live in the city and not have to worry about high prices and lots of crime, etc. Some zips to consider in the city of Louisville would be 40205, 40206, 40207, 40220, 40222, 40243, and 40241. The first three zips are much more urban in nature and have more older homes that have been fixed up. All would only be about 10 minutes further from Madison. And all are substantionally closer to cultural amenities in the city.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 12,943 times
Default Recently moved to Louisville

Hello-
I recently moved to Louisville from Chicago and I love it. I am a teacher and work in one of the many private schools that Louisville has to offer. (Including several all girl high schools, all boy high schools, and specialized schools.) I work at a small school for students with learning differences such as ADD, Dyslexia, etc. It truly is the best school I could ever imagine. The education that is offered to our students is the finest in the country. I think that you'll like the many things that Louisville has to offer- and it is very close to Oldham Co. We have several students at this school that come from Oldham Co. everyday.
Louisville offers all the amenities of a city with a small town feel. I can't rave enough about it! I hope you have a safe move and find the location that you are looking for! Good luck!

Old 11-27-2006, 08:01 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,416,938 times
Parts of Prospect are in Oldham County - beautiful homes there, low crime, feels like the country but is only a few minutes away from great shopping and restaurants. We also like the small area of Goshen - beautiful area and not too far out. We really like Pewee Valley as well - don't think that is in Oldham County but it is very centrally located while still maintaining that country feel - gorgeous homes and property there.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:16 AM

92 posts, read 468,992 times
Give Norton Commons a try. It is in both Jefferson COunty and Oldham County.

It is a new urbanist development that is only 2 minute drive from The Summit proto-lifestyle center.

www.nortoncommons.com

Old 12-01-2006, 09:12 PM

5,284 posts, read 18,416,938 times
Norton Commons - I've been there 4 times over the last year and a half - some of the same homes that were for sale last year are still for sale - that is because they are overpriced. The downtown area where the shops were supposed to go in is almost vacant - I saw one shop opened when I was there in September - the same as last year. We know of some people that were going to open a toy store there - they didn't - just too much money and they already have a wonderful toy store in La Grange. We noticed quite a few people had their homes up for sale - now these are people that have lived there less than 2 years. The noise from the freeway is quite loud....as much as my husband and I love the concept of Norton Commons, there are too many things wrong with it - when it is finished, traffic will be a bear....but right now it looks like failure to thrive to me.

Last edited by Cattknap; 12-01-2006 at 10:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky