Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 02:42 AM

109 posts, read 451,604 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am thinking afterall that I might end up on the western side of ky, but still looking at options. I think both murray and henderson would fit my tastes only I worry about the lack of things to do for single people who are NOT yet retired in those areas.
Has anyone on this thread moved to any of those areas from another locale and if so what are your thoughts about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 04:38 PM

39 posts, read 199,322 times
Default Murray

I moved to the Murray area from Roanoke, Virginia about 3 months ago. One thing you quickly learn from browsing these posts is that people have entirely different definititons of quality of life and 'things to do.' For me, this area has a lot going on. The University provides an almost continuous stream of sporting, musical and theatrical events, maybe not blockbuster stuff but good quality live music and plays. The park in town also offers plays during much of the year. Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley provide opportunities for boating and fishing and the Land Between the Lakes has miles of hiking and horseback riding trails. There are several nice state resort parks in the area. Nashville is less than 2 hours to the south when you need a bigger city fix.

If you're talking more about bars and nightlife, you may need to keep looking. Paducah to the north has more of that stuff going on, also great shopping. I'm not single so can't really respond from that perspective. Certainly there are tons of single people attending Murray State but I have no idea what they do for fun. I would say the town doesn't cater particularly to night life so a lot of what they do probably happens either on campus or up in Paducah. If you're looking for a party town in this region, Carbondale, IL would be a better bet.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:28 PM

6 posts, read 13,313 times
I am from Kentucky. Born and raised only 20 miles from Murray, KY. It's a really small town. Not alot of crime, really. There isn't a whole lot to do. There is the university there, so there is alot of single people up there. But there is Paducah, which is about a 40-60 minute drive, which is a bigger town, but it's still smaller than Louisville/Nashville/St.Louis areas. So it's still smaller, but again, I'm a country gal so I don't like large cities. It's all what you like. Good thing is, if you're renting and you don't like Murray, you can up and move. Henderson is gonna be a bit of a bigger place. I can't vouch for living there, but I've been there a few times. It's bigger but it doesn't seem like a lot there.
When the hubby retires from the Navy, 10 more years.. we're moving home!! I can't wait!
Good luck in your choices!!

Old 04-19-2008, 12:00 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,266 times
I grew up in Madisonville just down the Pennyrile Parkway from Henderson. I havent been to Murray...but to Paducah. Henderson is really a part of the Evansville IN metro area. Henderson itself has a mile long shopping area along US 41 on they way to the Ohio River bridge....but being close to Evansville will afford you way more opportunites for shopping, restaurants and other entertainment. I havent a clue about housing areas in Henderson since we just passed through it on US 41 on the way to Evansville when I grew up. Henderson is a ok town....havent heard of anything really bad there... Murray would be a bit more rural location if you will and a bit farther to shopping, etc than Henderson. Murray has Murray St Univ and Evansville has a couple of public colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky