Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 09:40 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,857,388 times

Advertisements

One killed, up to 12 missing amid Johnson County flooding

I know everyone is experiencing flooding and storm related issues to some extent but, this one is a bad one for Eastern Kentucky. These folks are suffering. You would have to witness it to understand it.

Prayers...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 11:12 AM

http://halrogers.house.gov/news/docu...umentID=398494

Have you all seen this? Sounds good to me but, having for many years, what I consider to be adequate internet access (starting back in the early 80's), I don't understand what or how it will be made better. More access? Better access? Faster? More dependable? What does other locations have that we don't have at present? This so called information "I-way" seems to be a big deal. How will it benefit Eastern Kentucky and the rest of the State eventually?

Will some of you...uh...more educated people fill us in?

I hope the link works. Well, looks like it didn't work. I'll try to find it elsewhere....sorry.

Hope this one works.

Don't ye just love it when a plan comes together.

Last edited by hogsrus; 10-17-2015 at 12:04 PM..

Old 10-18-2015, 02:32 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,337,451 times
The gist is that there are areas that don't have broadband because demand is too low for the private sector to make enough profit to do it. These days you must have high speed Internet to attract new employers. I know some parts of East Kentucky by have hsi, I assume this is to fill in the gaps. My company maps internet across the state. We work on a remote server that must be very fast. I assume we map rural KY jobs because there isnt a place outside the Golden Triangle with the internet capacity. We do employ fielders across the state. Areas between towns are always the last to get infrastructure. Where my mom grew up didn't get power lines util 1955, decades after the towns and cities were hooked up.

Even cities have many people who can't afford home internet. Google wants all 7 billion people online and clicking ads so they can generate more revenue. They are now getting in the internet provider busiess as Time Warner, att, and comcast have no interest in lowering prices.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:50 AM

27 posts, read 45,376 times
I grew up in Eastern Kentucky and have always thought that the lack of interstate access or rail access has really hurt the area. If you would like to encourage tourism it would be helpful to make it easier for people to get there - the Breathitt, Knott, Perry, Letcher, Pike county area is geographically isolated. I have family members who are still in the area but are retired. The younger family members have moved away in search of work. We were fortunate to have grown up in a family that put education first and that afforded us the opportunity to find good jobs - just not at home! I still feel lucky to have grown up in a rural area - playing in the woods and creeks have left me with some sweet memories!

Old 10-25-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJake View Post
I grew up in Eastern Kentucky and have always thought that the lack of interstate access or rail access has really hurt the area. If you would like to encourage tourism it would be helpful to make it easier for people to get there - the Breathitt, Knott, Perry, Letcher, Pike county area is geographically isolated. I have family members who are still in the area but are retired. The younger family members have moved away in search of work. We were fortunate to have grown up in a family that put education first and that afforded us the opportunity to find good jobs - just not at home! I still feel lucky to have grown up in a rural area - playing in the woods and creeks have left me with some sweet memories!
Ain't no place like home,Jake. Yes, the Counties you mentioned are a little isolated but, you got any idea how much it cost to build roads in the mountains?

The mountain Parkway is in the process of being 4-laned all the way now and extended i think. The Mountain Parkway starts near Lexington.

I'm expecting the same for the Hal Rogers Parkway (formerly Daniel Boone Parkway) soon in light of recent developments.

You mentioned Tourism....it's doing quite well from what I hear in spite of the isolation.

Kids just haven't had a proper raising if they hadn't played in the woods and creek.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:40 PM

Don't know if you all had heard about this but, if you take 180+ jobs from the local economy it's got to hurt.

Approximately 180 Corbin CSX employees to lose jobs

Old 10-26-2015, 10:32 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,418,213 times
Pikeville and Pike county are doing well in the tourism department and continue to add features. Dueling Barrells (which will be part odf the Bourbon Trail is under construction in downtown Pikeville.

Welcome - TourPikeCounty.com

Old 10-27-2015, 09:11 PM

27 posts, read 45,376 times
I didn't know about the Mountain Parkway but 4 lanes will sure help. I think those Kentucky mountains are beautiful and sure worth the trip. Glad to hear that tourism is doing well - maybe that will lead to more jobs.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJake View Post
I didn't know about the Mountain Parkway but 4 lanes will sure help. I think those Kentucky mountains are beautiful and sure worth the trip. Glad to hear that tourism is doing well - maybe that will lead to more jobs.
I sure hope so. Loosing 180+ jobs and all those related isn't going to help but, we'll make it. Like I said tourism is doing well and, I see a lot of local small businesses starting up. And more headed our way. We just have to adjust.

Take care my friend and come for a visit when ye can.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:23 PM

Group hopes to open horse center in Eastern Kentucky

Well, imagine that....I can envision the Kentucky Derby moving to Eastern Kentucky!! I know louieville will be tickled.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky