Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:48 PM

708 posts, read 1,151,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyCoal View Post
Eastern KY 2013 homicides

Perry County Ky is at 5. Population: 28,241. Rate of 17.70.

Letcher County KY is at 4. Population 23,952. Rate of 16.70.

Bell County KY is at 3. Population 28,183. Rate of 10.64.

Greenup County Ky is at 3. population: 36,707. Rate of 8.17.

Harlan County Ky is at 3. Population: 28,543 rate of 10.51.

Martin County KY is at 2. Population 12,743. Rate of 15.69.

Boyd County Ky is at 2. Population: 49,164. Rate of 4.07.

Johnson County Ky is at 2. Population: 23,383. Rate of 8.55.

Knott County KY is at 2. Population 16,124. Rate of 12.40.

Laurel county KY Is at 2. Population 59,462. Rate of 3.36.

Floyd County KY is at 2. Population 38,949. Rate of 5.13.

Magoffin County Ky is at 1. Population: 13,041. Rate of 7.67.

Leslie County Ky is at 1. Population: 11,170. Rate of 8.95.

Morgan County Ky Is at 1. Population: 13,668. Rate of 7.32.

Rowan County Ky is at 1. Population: 23,477. Rate of 4.26.

Owsley County Ky is at 1. Population: 4,722. Rate of 21.17.

Montgomery County Ky Is at 1. Population: 26,902. Rate of: 3.72.

Breathitt County KY is at 1. Population 13,635. Rate of 7.33.

Jackson County KY is at 1. Population 13,331. Rate of 7.50.

Clay County KY is at 1. Population 21,556. Rate of 4.64.

Whitley County KY is at 1. Population: 35,499. Rate of 2.82.

Lawrence County KY is at 1. Population 15,848. Rate of 6.31.

Lee county KY is at 1. Population 7,817. Rate of 12.79.

2 homicides in eastern ky prisons.

There's been 4 justified homicides in the region
Did you count all the deaths from Justified/Raylan Givens/Boyd Crowder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 08:30 PM

175 posts, read 258,837 times
We were looking at land to buy in south eastern KY. We were quite worried about the area reading about how bad it was. We took a trip a couple weeks ago and drove through the area and spent a couple days. I didn't want to leave!! The people were so nice! the beauty of the land was breathtaking!! The food even better!! We stayed in Somerset. I am completly in love with that town and area. I can't wait to move there. Cell coverage was spotty but we have Verizon. We asked about a booster but Im curious as to what coverage your Bluegrass company has. If that area is supposed to be "bad" I guess we like "bad" Ive heard that Utah is slow and backward. Maybe we have been here too long.....

Old 12-04-2013, 04:57 AM

9,606 posts, read 9,209,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
"Cut off from the internet and lack of information" Are you serious? I don't know about East Tennessee but, I'm sure it's somewhat like Eastern Kentucky and, I don't know of anyone that's cut off from the internet. Now, I can believe that some might not want to have anything to do with the internet. But, honestly, I can't think of many just off the top of my head.

My plan was to just reading the comments for a week of so but, I had to interrupt on this one.

Seriously?
Eastern Kentucky and Eastern Tennessee have not embraced education, infrastructure, industry, or the internet age. Until the culture changes this mindset, economic growth will not be achieved. While funding is a huge part of the picture, education is an even bigger part. Seriously.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:48 AM

34,822 posts, read 30,876,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Eastern Kentucky and Eastern Tennessee have not embraced education, infrastructure, industry, or the internet age. Until the culture changes this mindset, economic growth will not be achieved. While funding is a huge part of the picture, education is an even bigger part. Seriously.
When there are few jobs where education is a requirement or is even beneficial, education is rightly viewed with suspicion.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:23 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,857,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Sorry but, I think you missed my point...Tell us about Education, infrastructure, industry and most of all, the internet age in Eastern Kentucky [or the lack thereof]...As "you" know it.

I was referring to someone's assumption that the internet was all but non existent in Eastern Kentucky which was one of them assuming problems that a lot of people have. It's not good to ASSume. I'll refer you to post #29 if you will.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:04 AM

Well...the SOAR summit was yesterday...did anyone attend or watch it on KET? I didn't get to go personally because of some medical issues that came up but, I know some that did make it. It would appear that The remainder of the Mountain Parkway that is NOT four lane will be completed. And, as someone brought up awhile back that Eastern Kentucky don't have broadband well...ha ha, it would also appear that and even larger cable, as Mr. Rogers put it, would be used to connect Eastern Kentucky to the world. As I have said before...I don't know anyone that doesn't have Broadband so, I don't know where this is going. Both the Mountain Parkway project and the Broadband project, I don't really understand, maybe I'm not supposed to. The broadband internet was called something about a "Black" something another that would connect Eastern Kentucky to the whole world...aren't we already connected to the whole world?

Education was a large part of the summit, along with Job's which goes hand in hand. A young lady that had just graduated from High school and was attending college somewhere made a statement that she thought the teachers in Eastern Kentucky didn't expect enough from their students. She compared them (Eastern Kentucky Teachers) to teachers in Lexington, I don't know how she came to that conclusion, unless she has learned that from students that attended Lexington Schools.

A focus on small businesses, small being one to maybe ten employees or more, from within Eastern Kentucky was mentioned. Small meaning something different than "Small" in other parts of the Nation.

I didn't take any notes...I should have. These were the things that stuck in my mind. I'll have more as I think of it.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:42 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,418,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Maybe "cut off" is too strong of a word, but internet access in many of the rural has to be poor. I'd wager that broadband is almost nonexistent. Cell phone reception is spotty and not good enough to connect a computer to the internet with. You have satellite providers, but those are expensive and nowhere near as good as traditional broadband.
OMG...I think you watch too many sensationalized documentaries. I along with many others have had cell phones ever since they became all the rage. I have had one for nearly 15 years..No problem with cable TV either.. have gotten all the sports channels for years. Oh yeah internet???Yessiree, we also know what that is and we have been using it since the old days of Dial up.

Believe it or not we even have cars to get us out of here to visit the big ole cities now and then.
If we wanted to move away we would, but for many who may want to relocate ..well it is pretty hard to pack up and move with no car, no money to get there and no job or place to live when you do get there. Sort of reminds me of the reason there are so many poor people stuck in the slums and ghetto's in cities everywhere in this Nation. I bet they don't have cell phones, internet or jobs either. So why not go to one of the cities and stereotype all the residents there and let Eastern Ky rest for a day or two.

Poverty? Sure but not nearly as much as the cities I was raised in..Drugs? Show me a place where there are zero drug activities. Jobs? Yes we need jobs, just as everyplace in this country needs jobs..

Old 12-10-2013, 11:50 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,575,056 times
Quote:
When there are few jobs where education is a requirement or is even beneficial, education is rightly viewed with suspicion.
"Rightly?" Under what circumstances is it "right" to view education with suspicion? Education is the only way out of poverty for most people. If you don't have any idea what sort of life is possible outside of your narrow frame of reference, much less how to achieve it, you have no chance at all to break free of the conditions in which you're living. This is the kind of defeatist mindset that condemns rural areas like Eastern Kentucky to repeating the same generational cycle of poverty over and over and over again. "My boy knows how to plow; he don't need no book learnin'."

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 12-10-2013 at 11:59 AM..

Old 12-10-2013, 01:17 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,418,213 times
Quote:
What the heck are you talking about...."Education is viewed with suspicion"

Have you been here to apply for a local job? Try the hospital, the Board of Education, salaried coal miner, one of the many lawyers offices, how bout an Insurance agency or even the University.. These are all jobs available now and then in my part of East Kentucky, and they are the main employers. I know for a fact that it is hard to get a job with any of the construction companies, retail positions, trucking, cashier positions. without at least high school graduation.

Guess what? All these jobs are held by local people with education. Now takea stereotyped person from the ghettos of any medium sized city in Ky or Tennessee or anywhere else and you have the uneducated ( meaning lacking even a high school diploma.) and you will always have the lazy and the ones who know how to work the system.

Personally I am sick and tired of the derogatory threads about East Ky. We are a rural area, sparsely populated with people of all types living here. We have the fortunate and the less fortunate among us just like anywhere else. Take a look at the history of Pike County, where I came to from another State 35 years ago, if you want to see progress happening by the efforts of hard working leaders and and residents

There's always a whole lot of lip service from people who don't live here about what we should or shouldn't do or how we should or shouldn't live, but that's all it is lip service while their hand reaches out for all that Coal severence money we have supplied the State with. Money earned for this State by hard working and mostly educated coal miners and operators over the years.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:53 PM

Now let's all cool down...I'll attempt to explain. Most of the people on here that speak negatively of Eastern Kentucky have or has a connection of some kind to Eastern Kentucky...Mommy, Daddy, Grandma, Grandpa, Cousin, you get the point and, in most cases they are just one of us, or, they have came in contact with the naysayers, in which case it's obvious because you can tell right off the bat that they ain't got a clue as to what they are talking about when Eastern Kentucky is the subject, they are just repeating what they have been told. Now, as a friend on here told me sometime back that the rest of the nation looks at Kentucky as Kentucky...it's all the same. There is no North, South, East or West Kentucky...it's just Kentucky. And, the first thing they picture in their mind is a bunch of snotty nose kids living in a shack on a hillside, drinking moonshine, taking pills, smoking cigarettes and playing a banjo. That's the stereotype of KENTUCKY. Now, all these negatively speaking peoples' attempt to distance themselves from Kentucky, IF they tell people they are from Kentucky they say, we ain't like those people in the Mountains of Eastern Kentucky,...we're from somewhere else in Kentucky like Louisville or Lexington or where ever. It's almost like a get even thing...get even for what? If you're not guilty I'll apologize in advance.

Personally, I see a change coming to Eastern Kentucky. And, slow it will be but, change never the less and, we will have to do it on our own and will. I feel safe in saying we will probably get more support from the rest of this Great Nation than we will get from our own people ,so to speak. Now that gives new meaning to the phrase "If you ain't part of the solution you're part of the problem". We can change the stereotype of Kentucky in time with or without the naysayers. I'm proud of where I'm from but, I'm not proud of the situation at this time. Even at our worst we ain't all bad. I just hope to live long enough to witness the change.

P.S. if I get booted, it's been nice knowing you all.

Last edited by hogsrus; 12-10-2013 at 04:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky