Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 05:31 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
OMG...I think you watch too many sensationalized documentaries. I along with many others have had cell phones ever since they became all the rage. I have had one for nearly 15 years..No problem with cable TV either.. have gotten all the sports channels for years. Oh yeah internet???Yessiree, we also know what that is and we have been using it since the old days of Dial up.

Believe it or not we even have cars to get us out of here to visit the big ole cities now and then.
If we wanted to move away we would, but for many who may want to relocate ..well it is pretty hard to pack up and move with no car, no money to get there and no job or place to live when you do get there. Sort of reminds me of the reason there are so many poor people stuck in the slums and ghetto's in cities everywhere in this Nation. I bet they don't have cell phones, internet or jobs either. So why not go to one of the cities and stereotype all the residents there and let Eastern Ky rest for a day or two.

Poverty? Sure but not nearly as much as the cities I was raised in..Drugs? Show me a place where there are zero drug activities. Jobs? Yes we need jobs, just as everyplace in this country needs jobs..
Miss Blue, they would probably also be surprised to find out you wear shoes too, right? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 06:24 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Have my teeth and inside plumbin' too

Old 12-11-2013, 08:06 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
What the heck are you talking about...."Education is viewed with suspicion"

Have you been here to apply for a local job? Try the hospital, the Board of Education, salaried coal miner, one of the many lawyers offices, how bout an Insurance agency or even the University.. These are all jobs available now and then in my part of East Kentucky, and they are the main employers. I know for a fact that it is hard to get a job with any of the construction companies, retail positions, trucking, cashier positions. without at least high school graduation.

Guess what? All these jobs are held by local people with education. Now takea stereotyped person from the ghettos of any medium sized city in Ky or Tennessee or anywhere else and you have the uneducated ( meaning lacking even a high school diploma.) and you will always have the lazy and the ones who know how to work the system.

Personally I am sick and tired of the derogatory threads about East Ky. We are a rural area, sparsely populated with people of all types living here. We have the fortunate and the less fortunate among us just like anywhere else. Take a look at the history of Pike County, where I came to from another State 35 years ago, if you want to see progress happening by the efforts of hard working leaders and and residents

There's always a whole lot of lip service from people who don't live here about what we should or shouldn't do or how we should or shouldn't live, but that's all it is lip service while their hand reaches out for all that Coal severence money we have supplied the State with. Money earned for this State by hard working and mostly educated coal miners and operators over the years.

If everything is rosey in Eastern KY they certainly wouldn't be holding summits to help eastern KY.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:39 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Never said it was rosy. Am saying we have same problems as every other place.

The summits I believe were mostly our idea. It is a joint effort by the Governor and Hal Rogers, who is the Representative for Eastern Ky.

Mr Rogers is hearing the voices of the people who elected him to speak for us in East Kentucky.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:51 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,881,393 times
Here is a little more reading on the subject for those who haven't had time to see what this is all about. The Herald-Leader is a little better at explaining than I am.

What ye think?

SOAR summit set to address Eastern Kentucky's problems against backdrop of past failures | State | Kentucky.com

At summit, Eastern Kentucky leaders look to Minnesota for ideas to renew economy | Politics and Government | Kentucky.com

Old 12-11-2013, 10:50 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,814,509 times
I think Eastern kentucky has more to worry about than jobs and renewing the economy.

Getting rid of the pillbillies should be more of a priority. The drugs and crime that go with them are tearing towns apart. I drive through Olive Hill kentucky and you see working age people just sitting there high as a kite in the middle of the day. Availability of jobs won't turn that around by itself.

I grew up in Ky (etown) but my in laws are all eastern ky.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:39 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I think Eastern kentucky has more to worry about than jobs and renewing the economy.

Getting rid of the pillbillies should be more of a priority. The drugs and crime that go with them are tearing towns apart. I drive through Olive Hill kentucky and you see working age people just sitting there high as a kite in the middle of the day. Availability of jobs won't turn that around by itself.

I grew up in Ky (etown) but my in laws are all eastern ky.
It's kind of a "chicken and egg" deal. Are people using the drugs because there is little work and little productive for them to do, or are the known drug problems in the area part of why there is such little industry and work? No business wants to expand or locate to an area that is known to be full of addicts.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:39 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It's kind of a "chicken and egg" deal. Are people using the drugs because there is little work and little productive for them to do, or are the known drug problems in the area part of why there is such little industry and work? No business wants to expand or locate to an area that is known to be full of addicts.
Well you are correct, most businesses prefer to locate where access to illegal aliens is easier. And even the dumbest "pillbilly" can figure out when a corporation is sticking it to him---and he's liable not to take it meekly either: In other words, maybe the folks in those hills ain't as dumb as others might think.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:19 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It's not just a rural, eastern Kentucky problem, not even only an inner city problem. This article is from 2009, but more recent reports are readily available on the rise of heroin use in relatively prosperous suburban communities. Just this week, NPR ran a segment on the topic. I suspect these people would be given more credit than eastern Kentuckians, because it doesn't fit the narrative.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/ny...roin.html?_r=0

Old 12-14-2013, 11:30 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Well you are correct, most businesses prefer to locate where access to illegal aliens is easier. And even the dumbest "pillbilly" can figure out when a corporation is sticking it to him---and he's liable not to take it meekly either: In other words, maybe the folks in those hills ain't as dumb as others might think.
Then why are places like Texas, Nashville, Raleigh, and other decent areas that vote the same way as eastern KY "eating your economic lunch?" Why are you basing progress on "illegal aliens?" Again, another stupid racial remark without any merit.

I'd rather have a family of hardworking illegals around than a bunch of pillbillies. The pillbilly won't take it meekly - he'll just go off in violence on people. I guess you're proud of being from an area where about every piece of evidence will say the area is at the bottom of nearly everything in the country? More power to you, I guess. As for the rest of us, we'll just live in normal areas and ignore places like eastern KY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky