Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 09:06 PM

50 posts, read 70,985 times

Advertisements

Like a lot of folks in IT these days, I got WFH...

Back in '99 I did some Y2K projects in Tn. and In. and drove through Ky.

Thought some of that part of the country was pretty. On weekends when I was in Indy, got down to the Ohio river and played some cards in Riverboats in Rising Sun (I think it was? Was 20 years ago.) and the like.

So was looking around online at some of those areas and have read that folks think Ky is not diverse.

But if I look at census maps, Lexington, Louisville, Owensboro, Evansville, Cinci, etc. all look to have fairly diverse populations that I'd expect someday will be minority-majority.

So what do folks mean when they say Ky lacks diversity.

Somehow I'm missing it, or not connecting the dots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 09:42 PM

4,488 posts, read 4,548,779 times
Here's an article from Wikipedia that explains the diversity of Kentucky. It's nearly 90% white and one of the least diverse states. In my opinion, that's not necessarily a bad thing because alot of people are not seeking diversity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...ky?wprov=sfla1

Old 07-30-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Here's an article from Wikipedia that explains the diversity of Kentucky. It's nearly 90% white and one of the least diverse states. In my opinion, that's not necessarily a bad thing because alot of people are not seeking diversity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...ky?wprov=sfla1

Hi Ivory, I'm OK with it not being Miami or what have you. I'm just not sure I believe it.

I've attached a map of the state.... I've circled Lexington, Louisville, Cinci, Owensboro and Evansville... granted not all are Ky... but are the metro areas nearby...

Looks way less that "90%+ White" in a lot of places. Looks more diverse, on paper that folks seem to say?
Attached Thumbnails
Kentucky is not Diverse?-ky.jpg  

Old 07-30-2020, 09:32 PM

Some numbers from Wikipedia.

Looks to me like KY is almost as diverse as California.

California
-------------
72.1% White (including Hispanic Whites)
15.3% Asian
6.5% Black or African American
1.6% Native American and Alaska Native
0.5% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
3.9% Two or more races

Kentucky
------------
87.8 % White
7.8% Black
1.1% Asian
0.2% Native American and Alaska Native
0.1% Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islander
1.3% Other race
1.7% Two or more races

Less Asian that Ca. But more Black.

So I guess I'm just not getting it.

On paper seems KY is almost as diverse as the west coast.

Old 07-31-2020, 04:06 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,361,785 times
Kentucky was 20% to 25% Black before the Civil War. Being so close to Northern industrial cities saw half the Black population leave.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:53 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,428,309 times
A truly diverse city would have...…….over 100 different language groups , have weekly newspapers in over 20 different languages, have a Police service where 30 percent of the officers are fluent in two or more languages, where the city provides services in a number of languages to the public. Where the 911 system can handle calls in more than 60 languages through a ATT computer system.

Where is that city ? Toronto, where just over 50 percent of the population were born in another country, but they are now Canadians. That's what diversity looks like in my city.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
A truly diverse city would have...…….over 100 different language groups , have weekly newspapers in over 20 different languages, have a Police service where 30 percent of the officers are fluent in two or more languages, where the city provides services in a number of languages to the public. Where the 911 system can handle calls in more than 60 languages through a ATT computer system.

Where is that city ? Toronto, where just over 50 percent of the population were born in another country, but they are now Canadians. That's what diversity looks like in my city.
Haven't been to Toronto, so can't comment. Did spend some time in Montreal in the mid 70's. So not really relevent to today.

To the extent that down here, south of the border "diverse" is code for "black"... Kentucky has many other "diverse" cities beat.

Consider a few cities off top of my head, granted, none of them are say Detroit, Atlanta, New Orleans, etc. Just trying to think of cities that are considered reasonably diverse by US standards.

Los Angeles : 9.6%
San Diego : 6.7%
Seattle : 7.0%
Miami : 19.2%
Dallas : 24.8%
Houston : 25.7%
Nashville : 27.9%

Vs.

Lexington : 14.5%
Louisville : 22.2%
Owensboro : 7.3%

And some of the near-the-border cities in the region

Cincinnati : 44.8%
Evansville : 12.6%

Folks moving to Kentucky or there-abouts for diversity, seems they'd find it.

Folks moving there to avoid it, I'd think would be somewhat surprised?

Old 08-01-2020, 07:50 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,428,309 times
Thanks for the detailed answer.

In the past few years ( before covid 19 ) I was a frequent commercial traveler in the USA, on behalf of my employer here in Toronto. In my conversations with customers I found that the term diverse in the USA really means three groups. White, black and Latinos.

The fact that I am fluent in 3 languages besides English was seen as being very unusual by my American associates. Speaking Mandarin and being able to order a meal in that language was an eyeopener to my customers in Atlanta. The owner of the restaurant complimented me on my " cultured style of speech ".

Old 08-01-2020, 12:57 PM

92,213 posts, read 122,469,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Kentucky was 20% to 25% Black before the Civil War. Being so close to Northern industrial cities saw half the Black population leave.
This...It still has quite a few cities and towns in the 5-40% black range. So, some of this will depend on where in the state you are. It seems like central and Western KY have places with higher percentages than say Eastern KY, minus say a couple of places in Harlan County.

Old 08-01-2020, 01:40 PM

5,875 posts, read 2,802,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

Hmm Toronto according to the Left leaning bible, Wikipedia, is 8.9 percent Black and that's all the diversity the left cares about in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky