Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:44 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,862,887 times

Advertisements

Beshear, Rogers announce Appalachian initiative

I don't think we have very many Eastern Kentucky people here on the board and, I'm sure most everyone in Eastern Kentucky are all for some kind of stimulus, since coal had been ran out of town by the tree huggers but, what about the rest of our great State? What do they think about a boost for Eastern Kentucky? I know this doesn't tell us much at this point but, what are your thoughts on the subject?

Since this appears to be a bipartisan effort, I would ask that the politically motivated friends (the ones that don't like so and so just because of his politics) just politely refrain.

I'll be around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 10:05 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,271,243 times
The only way to profitably improve the misery index for the Appalachian communities of Kentucky is to convince them to understand the value of education. We must get our friends of eastern Kentucky to understand that education and only education will cause manufacturers to want to build in their communities. Manufacturing can be almost any product from cars to computer components, but the basis of any good economy is agriculture, mining, or manufacturing.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:30 PM

7,222 posts, read 7,001,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
The only way to profitably improve the misery index for the Appalachian communities of Kentucky is to convince them to understand the value of education. We must get our friends of eastern Kentucky to understand that education and only education will cause manufacturers to want to build in their communities. Manufacturing can be almost any product from cars to computer components, but the basis of any good economy is agriculture, mining, or manufacturing.
^^this.

Also, they have got to get away from the drug/alcohol culture. Hopefully education on that will help as well.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:34 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,724,793 times
Quote:
Very true.

Hard for an area to prosper lacking all three.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:00 PM

11,033 posts, read 17,415,056 times
When I lived in Sturgis, there was a councilman who, several years ago said that instead of getting big businesses, the Toyotas, etc., coming to town with their high wages for the workers, smaller towns need to work on getting some smaller industries, tied to the automotive and other industries. I lived near factories that made dashboards for GM while another rebuilt NAPA auto parts. Good pay and steady jobs. My son was hired on a temp job at Pella Windows in Murray making $10/hr. Was hired permanent last week. I think trying to bring several of those in the region would help a lot.
A little humorous note on the dashboard factory, I had a friend who worked there (this was early 80s when they still put ash trays in cars). Her job, 8 hours a day, 5, sometimes 6 days a week, was to hook that little spring on the lid of the ash tray to make it shut. She said after a few hours of that you didn't want to see another spring and you'd almost quit smoking so you wouldn't have to look at an ash tray. lol

Old 10-28-2013, 04:33 PM

Just a little more info to ponder...

Gov. Beshear, Congressman Rogers Announce Citizen-Driven Summit to Envision Goals, Strategies for Eastern Kentucky | U.S. House of Representatives

Old 10-29-2013, 09:23 AM

Will SOAR make a difference? Will it work? Why? Why not? What percentage of the people in our Great State or Nation support SOAR? How much money would you support going to Eastern Kentucky? I would like to hear any or all opinion's, not just Kentucky. An outside perspective would be good.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:13 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,779,963 times
Quote:
If you're going to start there, which is a good start, thinking needs to change from convincing people of the value of an education to creating an educational design that has value to the people, in program emphasis, methodology, etc. How can it be designed so that it is engaging to a particular culture? That's the issue. For that very reason, innovative ideas in education exist across the nation. Create something compelling, something relevant, and you will shape a culture that values education.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:38 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,384,574 times
Are they pushing the tourism angle at all? Millions come to the Smokies every year, but I don't hear much about East KY.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Are they pushing the tourism angle at all? Millions come to the Smokies every year, but I don't hear much about East KY.
Yes, I think Tourism is and will be a large part of the plan. Hal Rogers established the Tour Southern and Eastern Kentucky Tourism some time ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky