Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 10:33 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaneenR View Post
I currently live in AZ where the laws are becoming very strict Thank God! Smoking kills & that's the bottom line, whether it's second hand or first hand. They say that for every four cig.'s smoked around a child it's like the child smoking one by just being in the room. I was wondering how is it in Kentucky these days, are they starting to crack down on people smoking in public places?
lexington was the state's leader in banning smoking, with Louisville and other cities following close behind. however, ky has a DISGUSTING amount of smokers and it is still socially acceptable to smoke especially in many of the states smaller towns, but also even in parts of louisville or lexington. ky leads the nation in lung cancer thanks to its number one ranked smoking habit. it is one of the things that ruins the beauty of the state and its people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 07:15 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
lexington was the state's leader in banning smoking, with Louisville and other cities following close behind. however, ky has a DISGUSTING amount of smokers and it is still socially acceptable to smoke especially in many of the states smaller towns, but also even in parts of louisville or lexington. ky leads the nation in lung cancer thanks to its number one ranked smoking habit. it is one of the things that ruins the beauty of the state and its people.
There are still plenty of smokers all over Louisville, not just in parts.I know people that live all over from the zoo and many of them smoke.
I am thankful I quit, it is such a hard hard thing to give up.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:24 PM

9 posts, read 26,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieuk View Post
I say ban smoking in cars with children. Ashes fly in the back, sometimes I see the windows up. People are ignorant and if they had any sense they wouldn't be smoking around any children. It creates the "it's ok to do factor" and it's just simply not. I used to be a smoker and occasionaly have one, but you know I chose not to do that in the middle of a soccer game or play event. It's trashy. Go to a bar, or outside on your deck with your friends, or by yourself and smoke the darn cigarettes. Leave the children out of it....they get their habbits from people they are around a lot, like parents. If you notice...normal parents (for the most part) have normal children. Bottom Line - Don't smoke in the car with children, or anywhere else where kids are present..and if you can't wait.... then you are one weak individual.
I say let's ban Real Estate Agents.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I like the idea that the government is doing more to protect children in this way. If parents and other adults don't care enough about their children then clearly someone else has to step in. Children's developing respiratory systems shouldn't be exposed to smoke. Doing so with children can cause problems for them as adults.

I was exposed to ALOT of cigarette smoke while my birth Mother was pregnant with me, my doctor feels thats why I have asthma and general respiratory weakness now. I was lucky in that I was adopted by a family that did not smoke so I was not often around it as a child but by that time the damage was already done.

Oh, Boo-Hoo, let's cry you a river! Your doctors full of crap. People like you sicken me. I'll bet people like you think nothing about crawling in a car every day and sucken up all the fumes, huh? Give me a break!

Old 06-16-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilo0854 View Post
Well this is a tough one. I do have a problem with possibly losing our rights will get out of hand. If you go with health/safety we need to ban cell phone use during driving unless you have a headset. Plus all the other stuff folks do while driving, putting on makeup, reading, eating and other things that can't be mentioned on this board. I grew up with both parents smoking in the car and in the house. I have no medical effects from it. That is not to say someone else may react due to a lower immune system or inheritated illnesses.
Here, Here, I agree! If we're going to ban smokers, lets go after those that are overweight (health problems), those with AIDS (health problems), screen everyone for communicable diseases (health problems), those with high blood pressure (health problems), those that drink (health problems), etc. We could get really carried away with this stupid crap.

Susan

Old 06-16-2008, 10:38 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Waaaait...my message was deleted for attacking? Seriously, I wasn't making an attack or trying to start a fight.

This is the last I'll comment on this particular topic.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:13 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Waaaait...my message was deleted for attacking? Seriously, I wasn't making an attack or trying to start a fight.

This is the last I'll comment on this particular topic.
No, you are fine. You quoted the attack and I wanted it off the board. As you know, I pride myself in running a nice forum here, and the young trolls have come out this summer.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:49 AM

8 posts, read 24,672 times
Default Amazing how eager you are to trust the Gov.

It is amazing to me how so many people trust that the government knows what is best for the people better than the people. It amazes me how much you want to become a robot and allow the government to decide your every move. We should all be in a buble that is the only safe place. I remember when microwaves, eggs, bread, and toasters were harmful cancer factors. No one truelly knows first of all they can speculate but definately no one knows. I think it is sad that a person can work all there life for a home car necessities the american dream of their own business and yet can not make any decisions about those very same things. I think the owner of the property rather it be a home, car, or business should be SOLE boss of that property they decide who comes who goes, smoking or non smoking ect.... To say people dont deserve to have their children because they smoke, live in mobile homes, own a firearm, or low income that is awful. That is not grounds for taking the children away. You worry about cig. smoke and justify your arguement in the " name of safety of children" that is a load of crap. When we do not fuss about the safety of our children at school such as the cheerleaders outfits for underaged children. College their an adult and make that decision but our school system for our minors allow such provokative cheerleading outfits and yet says NO SEX when JR. High and High School childrens hormones are raging some even have a dress code policy but in the name of cheerleading those dress code rules are thrown out. They allow the cheerleaders to wear this attire throughout the day and then for a more better view do flips in the gym. For ball games they do not screen the adults how many in the bleachers are convicted sexual predators or better yet how many have not been caught yet. I am sure they appreciate the eye candy. You have parents allowing their children to dress provocative and out in the town and wonder why they were raped or have a teen pregnacy yet these are better deserving parents for children those smokers are evil you dont make any sense. I know several parents whom smoke and/or low income and there children turned out fine went to college and are doctors, lawyers, community leaders, teachers ect.. I also know parents who dont smoke and parade their child around like little hookers and they grew up to do just that dont work use there body for basic necessities and welfare. So I think you and the government have your priorities messed up and safety in the name of the children where is the safety for the real problems?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:53 AM

In ky there is coal mining and nucleuar plants was this taken into affect on the highet cancer rate?

Old 06-23-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieuk View Post
I say ban smoking in cars with children. Ashes fly in the back, sometimes I see the windows up. People are ignorant and if they had any sense they wouldn't be smoking around any children. It creates the "it's ok to do factor" and it's just simply not. I used to be a smoker and occasionaly have one, but you know I chose not to do that in the middle of a soccer game or play event. It's trashy. Go to a bar, or outside on your deck with your friends, or by yourself and smoke the darn cigarettes. Leave the children out of it....they get their habbits from people they are around a lot, like parents. If you notice...normal parents (for the most part) have normal children. Bottom Line - Don't smoke in the car with children, or anywhere else where kids are present..and if you can't wait.... then you are one weak individual.
Well in the case of the first point do you drive a car with children inside, ride a train with children or fly? You are putting the child in danger there as well car wrecks train wrecks and plane crashes so those parents should be charged as criminals as well? the second point that is not totally true. It is the parents job to teach there children right and wrong, fantasy and reality, good and bad. If the parent teaches the child will learn rather the parent smokes or not the child makes their own decision based on the information they have any subject this is the fact. I know several parents who smoke some their children do and some their children do not same with any subject. So with your theory children who what t.v. are going to be criminals because they were around t.v and got the habbit. Most stuff you see in a movie if it was done in real life the people would be in jail or prison. It is all in what you teach your children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: