Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 06:15 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,782 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone is from Nortonville and can tell me a little about it?

Good town? On the rise? Friendly people? etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2006, 12:16 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,266 times
Hi

I grew up in Madisonville and went to Madisonville-North Hopkins HS....I dont live there now but my parents still do. Personally never drove through Nortonville...never had a need to as I used the nearby Parkways to get to anywhere. But southern Hopkins County like Mortons Gap, Nortonville and White Gap are all small rural towns....within a close drive to Madisonville for shopping, etc. South Hopkins Middle School is in Nortonville, which is the largest of the "small" towns in the south part of thet county. Southside elementary school is in the area too, though not sure what town.

The area was a big coal mining/strip mining area. That has been slowly declining now and employment opportunites are not that great in the south part of the county. Rolling hills in that area with lots of trees...not mountains or big hills at all like eastern KY. People are laid back and would tend to be your typical small rural town thinking....that is could take some time to get used to outsiders who move in. But if you are from the area (meaning surrounding states) then it should be fine. Hunting and fishing are big activities....fishing more so at Land between the Lakes about an hour away. Major crime and gangs are non-existant. If anything specific I can answer let me know.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:43 PM

104 posts, read 417,297 times
Default Please No!

Please, please, no. See my post on Drakesboro. See my post on (Thinking about Kentucky?). Lets put it this way, shirts are optional and chewing tobacco is considered a fairly new and progressive invention. Have you ever been in an area where 100 untarped coal trucks pass through every day. Have you ever heard of black lung? Local culture consists of Turkey hunting and runniing a trot line. They are still fuming mad about Ronald Reagan firing the airport workers and busting the unions. Domestic assault is a sport. Many of these people still hold ill feelings towards the Union army. You have been warned.

Last edited by watchmanonthewall; 10-26-2006 at 11:15 PM..

Old 10-27-2006, 08:55 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,266 times
As my post above yours describes I grew up in Madisonville, certainly more city than Nortonville, but while I would never live there again (no jobs there in my profession) I would say your portrait is a bit harsh and slanted. I did see from another post that you lived for a while in White Plains, but for how long and when. My dad worked for years in a coal mine out by Providence and he retired in 1984 and he does have mild form of black lung. With the closing of many mines, there arent many jobs out there in Hopkins and Muhlenberg counties....but the people there are good decent folk.

Dan

Old 05-07-2007, 11:10 AM

7 posts, read 21,126 times
I have lived less than 10 miles from Nortonville my whole life. Nortonville is such a sweet, everyone-knows-everyone, type of town. You will never meet a stranger. Everyone helps out everyone. It is just wonderful. I hope you drive through one day. If you ever get lost or break down, you will be taken care of, WE stop and help people here, we don't keep driving!!

Old 06-13-2007, 01:34 PM

9 posts, read 33,658 times
well..I have been to nortonville a few times...my great-grandmother lived there...it's a small wonderful town...a place to feel "safe" as i like to say...I don't see how anyone wouldn't love it.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:45 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyGirltillIdie View Post
I have lived less than 10 miles from Nortonville my whole life. Nortonville is such a sweet, everyone-knows-everyone, type of town. You will never meet a stranger. Everyone helps out everyone. It is just wonderful. I hope you drive through one day. If you ever get lost or break down, you will be taken care of, WE stop and help people here, we don't keep driving!!

I hope to make it out there one day for i have relatives from my dad's side in that part of the state.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:21 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmanonthewall View Post
Please, please, no. See my post on Drakesboro. See my post on (Thinking about Kentucky?). Lets put it this way, shirts are optional and chewing tobacco is considered a fairly new and progressive invention. Have you ever been in an area where 100 untarped coal trucks pass through every day. Have you ever heard of black lung? Local culture consists of Turkey hunting and runniing a trot line. They are still fuming mad about Ronald Reagan firing the airport workers and busting the unions. Domestic assault is a sport. Many of these people still hold ill feelings towards the Union army. You have been warned.
Do there marry there sister too? Talk about stereotyping. Jeez ... get out of the 1940's please. You have the area completely wrong.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,389 times
I am related to the Yonts family of Nortonville, anyone from there ever heard of them?

Old 03-25-2012, 10:23 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
I know their state representative is Brent Yonts. Well, he represents part of Hopkins, but not sure if it's the Nortonville area. His son lucked out BIG time having Daddy in Frankfort!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky