U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 07:46 AM

4,489 posts, read 6,913,800 times

Advertisements

Everyone refers to Kentucky or W.Virginia as being a** backwards. I agree with W.V. being so. So what is your take on the two states? Who is more backwards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 08:57 AM

459 posts, read 1,151,341 times
WV, without a doubt. At least KY has Lexington & Louisville and is bordered by midwestern states that bring influence.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:25 PM

10,991 posts, read 9,160,217 times
Well, gee, that's kinda like asking someone which of their two kids is the uglier.

Both states have their good qualities, as well as their less-than-great aspects. Perhaps if you'd define "backwards", you'd get a friendlier response.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:18 PM

10 posts, read 15,250 times
As a recent NJ -> KY transplant and relative to WV'ians, I can verify that WV is more bass ackwards than KY, by far.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:14 AM

4,423 posts, read 5,175,755 times
There are backwards people in every state. From Rhode Island to Mississippi to Oregon.

But no state is entirely backwards.

I grew up in a "backwards" region of New York, a state generally thought of as "forward". I'm not one to judge anybody from anywhere.

I've been to both Kentucky and WV many times, and I have good friends in both states. Neither seem any worse than rural PA or NY, and no worse than my current state, Louisiana.

I think it's ignorant to say a state is backwards based on stereotypes and rumors.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:02 AM

28 posts, read 46,818 times
I grew up in WV and now live in KY, but lived in NC as well. The reality is that there are backwards people in all states, and WV has been given this stereotype dating back to when they seperated from VA during the civil war. Both states have an abundance of natural beauty and outdoor activities. WV has higher hills-mountains and therefor has decent snow skiing and good white water rafting. Both states have average to below average public school systems, but, like most states, have counties with very good schools. One big difference is the major cities in WV (Morgantown, Charleston, Martinsburg, Huntington) are smaller cities with populations less than 75k. Compare this to the 2 major cities in KY of Louisville and Lexington. Both states are very safe with low levels of crime. I expect that job openings are similar to that throughout the country at this time in both states with neither having a significant advantage. Overall they both offer a nice place to raise a family.

Stereotypes are a shame. I remember interviewing for a job position in Jackson, MS and meeting a lot of great people there. However, once getting home and saying how I enjoyed my time there, a friend said "Yeah, but its Jackson, MS." I just shook my head and noted how he had never been there and he was basing this all from the stereotype. There are good people everywhere, and there are ignorant people everywhere as well. Just find an area that fits you and your family.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:05 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,415,573 times
Well, it depends on where in the state you live. I in a burb of Louisville and there is nothing backyard about this area - tons of educated people, culture and cultural events, great shopping, fabulous restaurants, great colleges.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:14 PM

4,423 posts, read 5,175,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert44 View Post
I grew up in WV and now live in KY, but lived in NC as well. The reality is that there are backwards people in all states, and WV has been given this stereotype dating back to when they seperated from VA during the civil war. Both states have an abundance of natural beauty and outdoor activities. WV has higher hills-mountains and therefor has decent snow skiing and good white water rafting. Both states have average to below average public school systems, but, like most states, have counties with very good schools. One big difference is the major cities in WV (Morgantown, Charleston, Martinsburg, Huntington) are smaller cities with populations less than 75k. Compare this to the 2 major cities in KY of Louisville and Lexington. Both states are very safe with low levels of crime. I expect that job openings are similar to that throughout the country at this time in both states with neither having a significant advantage. Overall they both offer a nice place to raise a family.

Stereotypes are a shame. I remember interviewing for a job position in Jackson, MS and meeting a lot of great people there. However, once getting home and saying how I enjoyed my time there, a friend said "Yeah, but its Jackson, MS." I just shook my head and noted how he had never been there and he was basing this all from the stereotype. There are good people everywhere, and there are ignorant people everywhere as well. Just find an area that fits you and your family.
I fully agree.

And a fun fact brought to mind by your emboldened comment. Back in the days before the civil war, the south was the wealthiest region of the country, economically. With the exception of booming areas of the north like NYC and Boston, the north was slow and poor and equally, if not more so, undeveloped and rural as the lands of the south.

Southerners used to look upon "Yankees" as unwashed, uneducated, inbred hicks. This gave way to West Virginia being generalized as such. Then of course, the extreme poverty and isolation of mountainous areas strengthened outside views from both sides. The wealthy have a tendency to look down at the common folk as beasts.

I find it fascinating how the stereotypes about northerners born by wealthy southerners were then reversed by the outcome of the civil war (and so with economy). And unfortunately for West Virginia, it sat between the two and never shook the ignorance of the public.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:22 PM

6,830 posts, read 14,359,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Everyone refers to Kentucky or W.Virginia as being a** backwards. I agree with W.V. being so. So what is your take on the two states? Who is more backwards?
I will let this thread stand because there have been some good responses. But I would say Michigan is worse than them both...higher crime, decrepid cities, and rural areas that are not nearly as beautiful as those in KY and WV, all with worse weather. However, if your intent was to start a flamewar, it is not working

Old 11-04-2011, 08:44 AM

2,076 posts, read 6,166,141 times
I'm a Kentucky boy and like the cities of Lexington and Louisville better than the cities I've been to in WV (which is really only Huntington and Charleston). However, I think WV has done a much better job promoting the beauty of the state and developing a tourism industry. I've spent 3 really nice long weekends in WV over the years, one at Snowshoe, one whitewater rafting the New River and another at Pipestem State Park. I've found the scenery to be beautiful in the state and the people to be very down to earth and friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky