Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 10:26 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,188,111 times

Advertisements

I been looking at NW Arkansas too, was there 9 months ago looking at homes for sale....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 06:17 AM

536 posts, read 961,782 times
NWA is a pretty area. So is northwest corner of Oklahoma.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:58 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Actually, Elizabethtown is very close to both the Bluegrass Parkway and I-65.

Of the communities you list, I'd choose Berea, hands-down. It's smaller than some of the others, but the quality of life and proximity to Lexington as well as to the mountains make it the heavy favorite - for me, at least.

If you can, come spend a week in Kentucky and take a look at the various places which interest you - ditto NWA. Arkansas is also beautiful, but it can be a LOT hotter than Kentucky, and is more prone to tornados.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:03 PM

Yes NWA is pretty along with Branson MO, I was close to buying down there around 9 months ago, but decided not to at that time.....I also had a focus on Asheville, West Virginia and at that time, Berea was high on my list...I need to go have a look

Old 07-09-2014, 10:07 PM

due to sinkholes, might be best for me to stay looking at Berea and east...

Old 07-10-2014, 06:30 AM

536 posts, read 961,782 times
Yes you would like Berea. We go there a lot. It seems like an active town. I don't think the sink holes are as bad here as they are in parts of Florida. I saw a show on tv about sink holes in Florida and it's kind of scary. With Kentucky in the area around and above Bowling green has the Mammoth cave system. I hear it goes 400 miles! We ruled out Florida because of the sink hole threat in the areas we were looking into. I have not been to Branson, but would like to visit.

If I had to live in WVA I'd look around Charleston. I drive through there on my way to VA quit often. Now VA is a nice state too, up in the Blue Ridge mountains. I have family who live in Charlottesville. I lived there for a short time when I first moved from Alaska. But it's a very expensive area. Like I've said before. We want to go west. Still looking into AR, and OK.

Ashville, NC is very nice too. I hear land there is expensive though.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:44 PM

55 percent of the land in KY is farst, which is sinkhole prone, so I have to be careful there too, where I choose..NWA and most of MO has the same kind of ground type where sinkholes can occur also , I read

Old 07-10-2014, 04:05 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
55 percent of the land in KY is farst, which is sinkhole prone, so I have to be careful there too, where I choose..NWA and most of MO has the same kind of ground type where sinkholes can occur also , I read
I believe you mean "karst". Sinkholes such as the famous one at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY are very rare. I did hear of a road collapsing about twenty feet, also in Bowling Green, a few years ago, but have not heard of any recent sinkhole collapses elsewhere in Kentucky. Most of our sinkholes fell thousands of years ago and are stable. I would never avoid moving here (if I were not already here, that is) for fear of sinkholes!

Old 07-11-2014, 03:19 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,248,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
Getting close to taking a trip out to KY to look at some properties for sale. There are many in my range under 200k with some acreage. I know the eastern part of KY is prettier, but I hear Lex is more provincial and harder to get to know folks from what I read. I am looking at rural areas outside of these 3 regions outside of each city area.....places such as Radcliffe, Elizabethtown, Sellersburg, Winchester, Berea, Bardstown, Frankfort, Carrollton, etc.....I am going in all directions, I know. I never been around the area before so I am lost at where to start. Looking for a welcoming, friendly, low crime, safe, and pretty suburb, to possibly relocate to, but don't know where to start. I need to be not too far from a VA, like an hours drive. Any help is appreciated.
Sorry for sticking my nose in kinda late but this thread caught my eye: Winchester is the Bluegrass region, it's rolling and has alot of farms, very close to Lexington but also very close to the foothills of "Pine Mountain" and the Appalachians, a bit closer to Lexington though. Radcliffe, Elizabethtown ( we call it E-Town ) and Bardstown are nice areas, and actually very near where I have some of my earliest ancestral roots here in Kentucky. They are nice areas, close to Louisville, some farm country but also close to "The Knobs" which are high wooded ridges and hills, very beautiful. However, your close to Ft Knox so when the tanks are firing "watch out" you'll hear the distant thuds of the Tanks firing anywhere within a 30 mile radius...which includes most of those areas.

Frankfort and Carrolton are more "Northern Kentucky" and it's very nice. Some farms but tends to be "hilly" in most spots, one of the most oldest, first settled and historic areas of the state I think. If you like: "welcoming, friendly, low crime, safe, and pretty suburb" then I don't think you could go wrong in any of these areas. Bear in mind, Kentucky is southern culture for the most part. It's very conservative and most folks talk with either a bit of a southern twang or even a heavy one, especially over in eastern Kentucky and western Kentucky. Louisville and Lexington will be a mix of locals, rural Kentuckians that have moved their for work or folks from other states so it could be a bit of a mix. My personal opinion, I don't think you could go wrong anywhere in Kentucky looking for acreage, there's no shortage of beautiful areas.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:46 PM

where would the best, safest, cleanest area be for country living? would it be outside of Lex somewhere? Outside of Louisville somewhere, or outside of Cincinnati somewhere? (N KY)......which area is safest from Tornadoes? Sinkholes? and which is area would have the least crime? Best weather? thanks I was starting to look up around closer to Cinci as well, on the KY side....due to me being a northerner by birth, although I have lived on the west coast most my years....I read that someone said to be wary down by Somerset, as some desperate folks were known to steal copper and metal out of houses, when folks are away. I don't want to be too close to an area where the poverty is so extreme, that I will have to keep a handful of Doberman's around my property. Which I plan on raising up a couple pups anyway once I got into my property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky