Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 06:53 PM

149 posts, read 185,579 times

Advertisements

Have a safe trip to Colorado!
We'll hold down the fort for you while you are gone!

MO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 03:57 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,534,641 times
With all the bugs and critters that Eric sounds like will carry you off, we camp several times a year at Hillman's Ferry in the LBL. We have a nice primitive site to set our tent close to the lake. All you have to do is stop at Walmart or any store and get some Raid Yard Guard. It's a fogger you can spray around your campsite to keep mosquitoes and some other bugs away. One problem we did have, not just in the LBL but any place we camped, is moths and others that are attracted to the light. As far as snakes, I still go by what I was told by a park ranger when I was around 9 or 10. If you see a snake on your trail, just stand still and they'll move. Might take a couple minutes but they will move because they're just as scared of you as you think you are of them. If they don't move then turn around and slowly walk away.
One thing I will tell you about the campgrounds. Keep your food secured. We have a camp kitchen my dad built several years ago and a racoon got in it and finished off our potato chips and tried to carry off the marshmallows. When you get done eating, clean up around the picnic table. Skunks come looking for crumbs. We've seen a couple skunks walking by along the tree line and a possum or two, but the raccoons are the real pains in the butt. lol

Old 07-14-2014, 05:32 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,246,659 times
The last time we were down at Cravens Bay on Barkley we forgot the Off so we had to go into Gilbertsville to get some. Then I got into a mess of chiggars so bad I thought I was gonna have to have my crotch and inner thigh surgically removed! They were bad that year, as were the Deer Flies....I really prefer to go in Fall when its prettier!
Not to mention we killed a big old Copperhead the year before, great big one with a big ole head. My uncle also saw a honey bear back there as well. I guess Bears do traverse the area from time to time.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:51 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,534,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
The last time we were down at Cravens Bay on Barkley we forgot the Off so we had to go into Gilbertsville to get some. Then I got into a mess of chiggars so bad I thought I was gonna have to have my crotch and inner thigh surgically removed! They were bad that year, as were the Deer Flies....I really prefer to go in Fall when its prettier!
Not to mention we killed a big old Copperhead the year before, great big one with a big ole head. My uncle also saw a honey bear back there as well. I guess Bears do traverse the area from time to time.
I emailed the LBL yesterday afternoon after reading your post about the honey bears. I was just asking them what part of the LBL had bears.
"No bears in Land Between The Lakes. Maybe they meant honey bees ;-)
Regina
Have a Safe, Blessed, and Happy 2014!
COME OUTSIDE AND PLAY! "

Old 07-15-2014, 12:58 PM

Well, what I shared was an account based upon what my Uncle in Owensboro had told me. He squirrel hunts in LBL every year when he takes vacation has done it for years. Back in the 90's, on one trip he said he caught a quick glimpse of a Honey Bear ( probably a Black Bear, he just called it a Honey Bear ) while hunting down there and I believe he's telling the truth, he wouldn't just tell a story on something like that.
Now, Ky fish and game ( including Tim Farmer ) will also tell you that their are no Wildcats or Panthers in Kentucky either, but I've heard countless reports of folks who have seen them from all over the state and neighboring states as well. I've been reading that the Black Bear population has been swelling in parts of eastern Kentucky and eastern Tennessee, causing the animals, especially the young males to spread out looking for new territories. So, do I believe there is a permanent population of Black Bears living in LBL? Not sure? But could one wander through from time to time? Absolutely and why not? Black Bears were indigenous to western Kentucky years ago and...... maybe they're making a comeback? Or maybe, some are just wandering through from time to time. I mean, if my uncle tells me he saw a Bear down there I'm inclined to believe him. Before that, I wouldn't have believed it either.

Check this out: http://campus.murraystate.edu/academ...blackbear.html

http://wkyufm.org/post/black-bear-si...ntral-kentucky This is not too awful far from SW KY

http://www.14news.com/story/22848303/officials-confirm-bear-picture-taken-in-ohio-co-is-real

The 2nd is a story out of a news station up more towards my neck of Kentucky, which is even more surprising

Last edited by EricOldTime; 07-15-2014 at 01:07 PM..

Old 07-15-2014, 01:11 PM

Oh, and back on the topic of BBQ

https://www.southernfoodways.org/ora.../kentucky-bbq/

I quote: "Beyond these three major styles—long-smoked pulled pork, mutton, and grilled sliced shoulder—you’ll find pockets of micro-regional flavors in the Commonwealth. For instance, barbecue on toast is preferred in counties McCracken, Livingston, Lyon, and Caldwell. Hickory smoked pork or mutton is pulled or chopped and served between slices of toasted bread (raw onions and dill pickles optional."

I had heard many times from others that SW Kentuckians like spicy BBQ or Pulled Pork on toast sandwiches, even had it myself down in Madisonville once... It's good stuff!

Sounds like you need to get out more
( just kidding )

Old 07-21-2014, 01:50 PM

536 posts, read 961,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMan73 View Post
Have a safe trip to Colorado!
We'll hold down the fort for you while you are gone!

MO

Had a good time. Parents are aging fast with issues. Bittersweet every time I leave there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky