U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2014, 05:58 PM
 
1 posts, read 4,160 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My Husband is seriously considering taking a job in Somerset Ky. We currently live in South Florida.
I am used to CostCo BJ's warehouse target marshalls walmart ross etc. Also winn dixie and publix.

what are the choices within 20 minutes of Somerset? How are the schools?

does anyone have any experience with Special Education/ learning disabilities and public education?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2014, 11:57 PM
 
Location: Caverns measureless to man...
7,435 posts, read 5,365,990 times
Reputation: 17088
Hi! Welcome to Kentucky, if you decide to come. We live in Danville, about 50 miles north of Somerset, and don't get into that part of the state very often unless we're on our way to Tennessee. But I'll try to answer what questions I'm able to.

You should probably do your shopping before you move, because you won't find much there, I'm afraid. There's a Kroger grocery store, a Walmart Superstore, a Walgreen's, and a CVS pharmacy. That's about it. Winn Dixie, Target, Marshall's, Publix, BJ's Warehouse.... none of those even close to Somerset. The nearest Costco is in Lexington, about an hour and a half north of you. It's a very, very rural area.

As far as education is concerned, I'd better leave that to someone with firsthand knowledge of Somerset. I don't have a very high opinion of Kentucky schools (especially in rural areas), but every now and then you find a pocket with a surprisingly good education system, and I wouldn't want to denigrate Somerset without knowing all my facts. If nobody else answers, though, I can try to ask around here in Danville and see what I can find out.

If you do move there, I think you'll find it a very pretty area. It's right between the Daniel Boone National Forest and Lake Cumberland, a huge manmade lake that draws tons of tourists every summer. I think it's one of the prettier areas of the state, but when you're in a small town in Kentucky, you know you're in a small town. Your shopping choices are going to be very limited; we live a lot closer to Lexington and Louisville than you will be, and even we wind up buying a lot of food online.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2014, 12:46 AM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
7,701 posts, read 5,740,451 times
Reputation: 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsred View Post
My Husband is seriously considering taking a job in Somerset Ky. We currently live in South Florida.
I am used to CostCo BJ's warehouse target marshalls walmart ross etc. Also winn dixie and publix.

what are the choices within 20 minutes of Somerset? How are the schools?

does anyone have any experience with Special Education/ learning disabilities and public education?

Thanks
You'll be traveling to Lexington for decent shopping/dining options. All of the things you mentioned are basically in Lexington.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 03:54 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
11,019 posts, read 22,470,346 times
Reputation: 10911
Somerset has a good amount of chain restaurants and big box retailers. If you want anything more than that it's a 75 mile drive to Lexington or 140 mile drive to Louisville / Cincinnati. Some schools are pretty good others aren't in terms of test scores. Violent crime is very low (99% is btw friends or family) there would be some property crime but a lot less than most urban areas. It's the rural South, life revolves around family, religion, outdoor activities, and (college) sports. Very different than S FL but you might like it. Best thing about Somerset relative to S FL is cost of living. A really nice house would rarely go for more than 100k.

If you have more specific questions just ask. I lived 20 miles west of Somerset when I was a child in the late 80s / early 90s and still have family down that way
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2014, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
2,927 posts, read 7,872,123 times
Reputation: 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsred View Post
My Husband is seriously considering taking a job in Somerset Ky. We currently live in South Florida.
I am used to CostCo BJ's warehouse target marshalls walmart ross etc. Also winn dixie and publix.

what are the choices within 20 minutes of Somerset? How are the schools?

does anyone have any experience with Special Education/ learning disabilities and public education?

Thanks
Belk, JC Penney, TJ Maxx, Hobby Lobby, Dunham Sports, Burke's Outlet, Goody's, Tuesday Morning, Walmart, Kmart, Lowe's, Roses, Kroger etc.

Somerset Independent Schools are the best choice for schools.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2014, 06:27 PM
 
204 posts, read 369,373 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Hi! Welcome to Kentucky, if you decide to come. We live in Danville, about 50 miles north of Somerset, and don't get into that part of the state very often unless we're on our way to Tennessee. But I'll try to answer what questions I'm able to.

You should probably do your shopping before you move, because you won't find much there, I'm afraid. There's a Kroger grocery store, a Walmart Superstore, a Walgreen's, and a CVS pharmacy. That's about it. Winn Dixie, Target, Marshall's, Publix, BJ's Warehouse.... none of those even close to Somerset. The nearest Costco is in Lexington, about an hour and a half north of you. It's a very, very rural area.

As far as education is concerned, I'd better leave that to someone with firsthand knowledge of Somerset. I don't have a very high opinion of Kentucky schools (especially in rural areas), but every now and then you find a pocket with a surprisingly good education system, and I wouldn't want to denigrate Somerset without knowing all my facts. If nobody else answers, though, I can try to ask around here in Danville and see what I can find out.

If you do move there, I think you'll find it a very pretty area. It's right between the Daniel Boone National Forest and Lake Cumberland, a huge manmade lake that draws tons of tourists every summer. I think it's one of the prettier areas of the state, but when you're in a small town in Kentucky, you know you're in a small town. Your shopping choices are going to be very limited; we live a lot closer to Lexington and Louisville than you will be, and even we wind up buying a lot of food online.
Hey I was wondering how you like Danville? we are seriously considering relocating their with our 4 small kids. I visited back in AUg. but didn't have much time to really check it all out. Just grabbed lunch and drove down main street and a few other streets. How are the schools? middle elem and high? anything you can tell me first hand..thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2014, 03:14 AM
 
Location: Caverns measureless to man...
7,435 posts, read 5,365,990 times
Reputation: 17088
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbug3 View Post
Hey I was wondering how you like Danville? we are seriously considering relocating their with our 4 small kids. I visited back in AUg. but didn't have much time to really check it all out. Just grabbed lunch and drove down main street and a few other streets. How are the schools? middle elem and high? anything you can tell me first hand..thanks!
Well... I'm probably the last person you want to ask, but I mostly really hate it here. I've never lived anywhere more boring in my life. They've got a movie theatre, a great library, and a couple of parks that are mostly just big open areas to walk around in (one has a swimming pool and skateboard park, though, and the other a frisbee golf course), and it's a pretty area to drive around in, but aside from that, there's very little to do here that I find interesting enough to do more than once or twice. Oh, there are some tennis courts and softball/baseball diamonds, so if you enjoy those sports, you can keep busy doing that.

I'm used to being very active outdoors, and here, outdoor activity is mostly limited to driving around looking at the scenery (which is nice, but not really all that special. After a few months, a tobacco field's a tobacco field). Other than just walking around the asphalt walking paths at the two parks, there's no hiking or canoeing in the immediate area, and it's not very bicycle friendly (the roads are very curvy and narrow, and people drive like maniacs). The summers are horrifically hot and humid, and the winters are just slushy and sloppy. 5 months of August, 1 month of the leaves dying and falling off the trees, 5 months of March, and 1 month of heartbreakingly beautiful spring. Then 5 months of August again.

We don't have kids, so I can't speak directly to the question about the schools, but overall I don't think much of the educational system in Kentucky in general.

But - a lot of other people seem to like it here, so I guess it just means that not everyplace is for everybody. I grew up in a really small town, that I loved living in, and I suppose I expected Danville to be more like that - it had lots of really beautiful parks, and tons of arts and entertainment options like small galleries, art fairs, live music all over the place, and lots of community theatre and other such activities on a weekly or even daily basis. Aside from a few annual festivals (like the Great Brass Band Festival, which is somewhat entertaining, and this week's barbecue festival), and the Pioneer Playhouse dinner theatre, Danville has almost none of those things. People are generally very nice, but most of them don't seem to want to talk about anything but which family members are in the hospital that particular week.

It's just not someplace that I find very stimulating, that's all. But, as I say, maybe you're looking for something different. A lot of people are happy here; it's just that whatever it is that makes them happy doesn't really appeal much to me. Maybe you'd feel more at home with the pace here... I just wanted something more, I guess. It's just not what I'm used to.

But don't let me scare you off. Ask around, visit again. Spend more time, check it out a bit, and ask yourself if it's a place you could be happy. You may fall in love with the place. Hit me up if you do, and I'll show you around as best I can, but we don't plan on being here much longer. Hoping to move back up to our place in Louisville within a month or so, but if we're still here, I'll be happy to show you what I can.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 12:08 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
2,927 posts, read 7,872,123 times
Reputation: 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Well... I'm probably the last person you want to ask, but I mostly really hate it here. I've never lived anywhere more boring in my life. They've got a movie theatre, a great library, and a couple of parks that are mostly just big open areas to walk around in (one has a swimming pool and skateboard park, though, and the other a frisbee golf course), and it's a pretty area to drive around in, but aside from that, there's very little to do here that I find interesting enough to do more than once or twice. Oh, there are some tennis courts and softball/baseball diamonds, so if you enjoy those sports, you can keep busy doing that.

I'm used to being very active outdoors, and here, outdoor activity is mostly limited to driving around looking at the scenery (which is nice, but not really all that special. After a few months, a tobacco field's a tobacco field). Other than just walking around the asphalt walking paths at the two parks, there's no hiking or canoeing in the immediate area, and it's not very bicycle friendly (the roads are very curvy and narrow, and people drive like maniacs). The summers are horrifically hot and humid, and the winters are just slushy and sloppy. 5 months of August, 1 month of the leaves dying and falling off the trees, 5 months of March, and 1 month of heartbreakingly beautiful spring. Then 5 months of August again.

We don't have kids, so I can't speak directly to the question about the schools, but overall I don't think much of the educational system in Kentucky in general.

But - a lot of other people seem to like it here, so I guess it just means that not everyplace is for everybody. I grew up in a really small town, that I loved living in, and I suppose I expected Danville to be more like that - it had lots of really beautiful parks, and tons of arts and entertainment options like small galleries, art fairs, live music all over the place, and lots of community theatre and other such activities on a weekly or even daily basis. Aside from a few annual festivals (like the Great Brass Band Festival, which is somewhat entertaining, and this week's barbecue festival), and the Pioneer Playhouse dinner theatre, Danville has almost none of those things. People are generally very nice, but most of them don't seem to want to talk about anything but which family members are in the hospital that particular week.

It's just not someplace that I find very stimulating, that's all. But, as I say, maybe you're looking for something different. A lot of people are happy here; it's just that whatever it is that makes them happy doesn't really appeal much to me. Maybe you'd feel more at home with the pace here... I just wanted something more, I guess. It's just not what I'm used to.

But don't let me scare you off. Ask around, visit again. Spend more time, check it out a bit, and ask yourself if it's a place you could be happy. You may fall in love with the place. Hit me up if you do, and I'll show you around as best I can, but we don't plan on being here much longer. Hoping to move back up to our place in Louisville within a month or so, but if we're still here, I'll be happy to show you what I can.

Well leave please....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 12:53 AM
 
Location: Caverns measureless to man...
7,435 posts, read 5,365,990 times
Reputation: 17088
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Well leave please....
Well, that was predictable. There's always someone who's going to get butthurt if anyone says anything but positive things about Kentucky.

I'll leave when I'm good and ready, and until then whether I choose stay or go is none of your business. The poster asked a sincere question, I gave a sincere answer. If you care to refute any of the things I said about the area, have at it - tell me where I'm wrong, what facts I have in error. If you're unable or unwilling to do that, spare me the whining. It just makes you look petty, and doesn't add anything to the discussion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 02:18 AM
 
6,877 posts, read 14,705,294 times
Reputation: 3265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Well... I'm probably the last person you want to ask, but I mostly really hate it here. I've never lived anywhere more boring in my life. They've got a movie theatre, a great library, and a couple of parks that are mostly just big open areas to walk around in (one has a swimming pool and skateboard park, though, and the other a frisbee golf course), and it's a pretty area to drive around in, but aside from that, there's very little to do here that I find interesting enough to do more than once or twice. Oh, there are some tennis courts and softball/baseball diamonds, so if you enjoy those sports, you can keep busy doing that.

I'm used to being very active outdoors, and here, outdoor activity is mostly limited to driving around looking at the scenery (which is nice, but not really all that special. After a few months, a tobacco field's a tobacco field). Other than just walking around the asphalt walking paths at the two parks, there's no hiking or canoeing in the immediate area, and it's not very bicycle friendly (the roads are very curvy and narrow, and people drive like maniacs). The summers are horrifically hot and humid, and the winters are just slushy and sloppy. 5 months of August, 1 month of the leaves dying and falling off the trees, 5 months of March, and 1 month of heartbreakingly beautiful spring. Then 5 months of August again.

We don't have kids, so I can't speak directly to the question about the schools, but overall I don't think much of the educational system in Kentucky in general.

But - a lot of other people seem to like it here, so I guess it just means that not everyplace is for everybody. I grew up in a really small town, that I loved living in, and I suppose I expected Danville to be more like that - it had lots of really beautiful parks, and tons of arts and entertainment options like small galleries, art fairs, live music all over the place, and lots of community theatre and other such activities on a weekly or even daily basis. Aside from a few annual festivals (like the Great Brass Band Festival, which is somewhat entertaining, and this week's barbecue festival), and the Pioneer Playhouse dinner theatre, Danville has almost none of those things. People are generally very nice, but most of them don't seem to want to talk about anything but which family members are in the hospital that particular week.

It's just not someplace that I find very stimulating, that's all. But, as I say, maybe you're looking for something different. A lot of people are happy here; it's just that whatever it is that makes them happy doesn't really appeal much to me. Maybe you'd feel more at home with the pace here... I just wanted something more, I guess. It's just not what I'm used to.

But don't let me scare you off. Ask around, visit again. Spend more time, check it out a bit, and ask yourself if it's a place you could be happy. You may fall in love with the place. Hit me up if you do, and I'll show you around as best I can, but we don't plan on being here much longer. Hoping to move back up to our place in Louisville within a month or so, but if we're still here, I'll be happy to show you what I can.
I thought you were still in Louisville? I agree, typical of posters from KY to ask you to leave if you don't like it.
That said, Danville is a quaint little town with at least a tiny artsy side due to it being a small liberal arts college town. That said, I do also find it very small and mostly boring, but I am not sure you are giving Danville a fair shake. For a very small town, it is not a bad place, just a complete 180 from South Fl. I mean COMPLETE 180.

To the OP, I would say being from S. Florida you will not feel comfortable in KY unless you are closer to Louisville, Lexington, or Cincinnati.

IMO Louisville is the best of the bunch and there are several great "small towns" within 30 mins of downtown Louisville and within 15 mins of Louisville's east side where every store you mentioned above (except BJs which mainly locates on the coast) is all in one spot. There is just so much more to do in the Louisville area, it is like a "small town" big city. It offers almost everything a major metro does with the exception of pro sports, but with none of the hassle of big city living.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top