Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 5,288 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have the opportunity to move to Kentucky and have a choice of the Lexington area or Louisville area. Both of us have lived in northern Illinois most our lives. Our children are almost through with college and have plans of their own as to locations after graduation. I love the Kentucky/Tennessee region, but don't know much of either LV or LX to make a decision. Like the small town feel, but don't want to be too far from a big city. Hubby's job will be set and I would hope to find something in commercial real estate. Any suggestions as to areas would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 06:52 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper762 View Post
My husband and I have the opportunity to move to Kentucky and have a choice of the Lexington area or Louisville area. Both of us have lived in northern Illinois most our lives. Our children are almost through with college and have plans of their own as to locations after graduation. I love the Kentucky/Tennessee region, but don't know much of either LV or LX to make a decision. Like the small town feel, but don't want to be too far from a big city. Hubby's job will be set and I would hope to find something in commercial real estate. Any suggestions as to areas would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Definitely Louisville. It is the most like Chicago as it is a "city of neighborhoods" with a very cultural vibe and great festivals and restaurants. However it is different in that it is much smaller, cheaper, safer, less traffic, etc. Some great small towns around Louisville include Prospect, LaGrange, Crestwood, Shelbyville, Bardstown, Mt Washington, and New Albany and Floyds Knobs, Indiana.

But I would just live in Louisville proper (city merged with county so it gobbled up dozens of small towns around it). It all depends on what you want? urban? suburban? rural? exurban? price range and house needs? working? So many variables. Let me know and I can help.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:46 PM

That really helps, thanks! Hoping to find one of those small towns with bungalow style houses. Price range is under $200k

Last edited by Cooper762; 09-23-2014 at 09:05 PM..

Old 09-24-2014, 05:38 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Louisville has more of an urban feel while Lexington is a larger college town (a bigger version of Champagne Urbana). Seems like you want to be just outside the city... most Midwestern transplants to Louisville end up in Oldham County, around Lexington Scott County is the main transplant area.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:16 AM

Are there any dry counties left in KY? Definitely don't want that. ☺️

Old 09-25-2014, 07:25 AM

536 posts, read 960,856 times
Grant county where I live near Northern KY, is a dry county. I know there are others, but I don't know where all are.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:21 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,245,706 times
Quote:
Daviess County (Owensboro) in western Kentucky is wet but Hancock, Ohio, McLean, Breckenridge, Grayson and Butler counties are all dry.... There's a bar on the county line between Daviess/Ohio counties in western Kentucky, called "The Black Cat" on E HWY 54 ...been there for years. You won't believe the carry out business they do on a Friday night after work! All the folks heading into the neighboring dry counties stop in there and stock up for the weekends. Just a huge line, goes all the way out into the gravel parking lot and along the edge of the road usually....

What is there? More or less 67 dry counties right? Something like that?

Most of the dry counties are west, east and south of Lexington but there's a couple up in NE Kentucky I think...

Old 09-25-2014, 11:24 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
All the dry counties are in east, central, and western KY.

Louisville's county and its surrounding suburban counties are wet. I think that fact alone tells you right there where a "midwesterner" or Chicagoan would fit in best.

http://ougisapplications.wordpress.c...kytnwetdrymap/

Old 09-26-2014, 01:12 AM

14,761 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Well to me, Louisville feels more big city and Lexington feels more like a city that feels like a smaller town (if that makes any sense.) Louisville definitely has more to do, but Lexington's scenery and the scenery around it are one of the best in the whole country imo. They both have a different feel, and you would really have to visit to find out which one would you suite you best, imo.
I was born in and mostly raised in Louisville, but have spent the last 20 years here in Lexington...at first I wasn't overly fond of Lexington, I didn't think it had enough to do, and I missed Louisville...but now, I can't really imagine wanting to live anywhere else...not even Louisville.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:41 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:

Gotta love out of staters....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky