Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 12:24 PM

536 posts, read 953,639 times

Advertisements

I'm a Christian too Eric, I'll be praying all works out for you guys and the process you have to go through. I am foreign born too. I don't have dual citizenship, but my birth certificate says United States Citizen foreign born. I was born in Bermuda....boy would I like to get deported back! ha! But my parents were military at the time there was a military base there, so born on the base, but not in the USA. I got naturalized when I was 5 I think. I remember going through it.

KyGman: That's great you got to meet Moman and his wife. I'm sure they are excited to move to Mayfield permanently when he retires. Maybe he will post some of his traveling pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 12:44 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,229,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
I'm a Christian too Eric, I'll be praying all works out for you guys and the process you have to go through. I am foreign born too. I don't have dual citizenship, but my birth certificate says United States Citizen foreign born. I was born in Bermuda....boy would I like to get deported back! ha! But my parents were military at the time there was a military base there, so born on the base, but not in the USA. I got naturalized when I was 5 I think. I remember going through it.

KyGman: That's great you got to meet Moman and his wife. I'm sure they are excited to move to Mayfield permanently when he retires. Maybe he will post some of his traveling pictures.

Our boy doesn't need to be naturalized, technically he has full citizenship, even a social security number. Either way, thanks for prayer, we all need that as far as I'm concerned.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:50 PM

4 posts, read 4,363 times
I think if things are becoming too liberal for you in CA, the KY is probably a good place to be. My in-laws, who have lived in the same community their whole lives here in regional Kentucky, tell me many parts of this state can be up to 30 or 40 years behind in ways of thinking. They don't like that themselves, but are tied to their own parents and are not keen on moving.

Kentucky is one of the most biodiverse places on this planet. Conditions such as arthritis and severe allergies can be exacerbated; heck, even I, who had never suffered from allergic reactions or hay fever before, suffer from the pollens around here VERY badly. DH, DS and I are all hypermobile, so our joints suffer from the extremes of barometric changes. So we are hopefully going to be heading to a more settled - at least from a climactic POV - state (also more liberal).

KY is resoundingly Republican. It will probably be one of the last states to institute marriage equality and medical marijuana. Most small and regional communities are very close-knit, and tend to be Right rather than Left in political leanings. So if you are more an Elephant than a Donkey, you can bet if you end up in a regional community (even metro, to be honest), you're going to end up feeling at home.

People are generally very friendly here, you know, the good old Southern hospitality thing. That is good, I have to admit! So long as you don't question people's way of life and don't mind if they question yours (as a newcomer and maybe different in a way they don't understand or appreciate), you'll find friends here.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:34 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,629,613 times
My Wife and I are what might be considered "liberal". She's a Dem, Im a Greenie. We work alongside repubs, NRA people and a few other very right leaning ideologies. This is the first radically right place Ive ever lived where its no big deal. Showing people respect and having a laugh with them is more important than political stuff. I love it here. I've finally unpacked my bags after 10 moves/states in the last 14 years

Old 11-01-2014, 05:16 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,164,961 times
seems like around the land of the lakes is more tornado prone than most parts of KY, Eddyville, Mayfield, Murray etc...

Old 11-01-2014, 05:43 PM

536 posts, read 953,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
My Wife and I are what might be considered "liberal". She's a Dem, Im a Greenie. We work alongside repubs, NRA people and a few other very right leaning ideologies. This is the first radically right place Ive ever lived where its no big deal. Showing people respect and having a laugh with them is more important than political stuff. I love it here. I've finally unpacked my bags after 10 moves/states in the last 14 years

Bravo!!! I like your style. Thanks for posting I'm glad you are unpacked and staying. We need more people like you.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:03 PM

389 posts, read 424,245 times
Live in Daviess County here and really enjoy it. I am always amazed when traveling through the state how pretty it is. Housing is very affordable as well.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:38 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,229,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbear1234 View Post
Live in Daviess County here and really enjoy it. I am always amazed when traveling through the state how pretty it is. Housing is very affordable as well.
I have LOTS of family in Daviess county, my grandmother lives there too, its where I stay when I come in to see everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky