Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 09:42 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times

Advertisements

Tomocox, when I worked over there with the KYDOT, it was in '85 or so we graded the shoulders, both sides of Ky. 416, Main St in Robards, from the parkway to 41A. Lotsa dirt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 06:05 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
I grew up in Madisonville....heart of the western coal fields. I graduated from North Hopkins HS in 1984....and havent lived there since due to career moves. My parents were born in Nebo and Slaughters and had a sister and her family live in Morganfield for many years. Now her kids are grown and one lives in Newburgh and the other on the east coast. Anyhow...I remember always going on the Pennyrile Parkway to Henderson then 41 over the bridge to Evansville for shopping and dining. I have been back that way many times of the years. That area around Providence-Morganfield into Henderson county is small town KY living. Rolling hills....coal mining was big when I was growing up in the 70s and early 80s -- my dad worked in the coal mines for 30+ years before retiring in 1984. But area is ok....Evansville is close by. I couldnt stand the weather as too warm for my tastes and always missed the snow, but ice storms did occur. But that was me.... but area if fine. Cheap living for sure homewise.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:28 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowie View Post
Thanks for your response! I'm originally from Georgia, and lived in a small unincorporated community. However, I moved to Missouri, then Tennessee for work. Both moves resulted in me sucking it up and settling for a house in town. This last time, my house was broken into, my neighbors would comment when I was gone longer than a day or two from home, and I just realize now I am ready, after four years, to get back to a small town, get me a dog, and live how I used to. (Is that as selfish as the realtors around here make it sound?)

I'm pretty quiet - I cook at home, I do like going to the gym, so one nearby would be nice; I would like an area that has a shopping hub like Evansville close by for when family comes to visit; And the dog - that's important. A soon-to-be-big Bloodhound (I don't think the town folk would like her baying, anyway).

Being on the outskirts of a town is fine. I just want to be able to walk in my backyard and not feel like the whole world knows what I'm doing.
Well, it sounds like your in a pretty good location then to be quite honest! My family has lived in neighboring Daviess, Hancock and Ohio counties since 4-ever and not a one has ever experienced a burglary or robbery of any kind...it's a pretty nice area, lot's of nice folks, laid back.....everybody knows everybody kinda folks. Like many others have said, rolling hills, cornfields, the Green river and Ohio river is nearby, besides if you want to "go to town" as they say, you've got Evansville, Owensboro, even Madisonville I don't think is too terrbily far? During summer, you need to check out some of the Catholic Parrish BBQ's or "Picnics" as they call them, that area of Kentucky is famous for it. It's got some of the best "Burgoo" "Mutton" "Pork" "Beef" and Chicken you've ever eaten! Pay once and geta ticket and it's usually all you can eat. Plus they have rides, games, live music....it's alot of fun for the whole family. The little town in Daviess county where my grandmother lives has one of the best in that whole area! If you ever go and have a sliced mutton sandwich, make sure they give you a slice of onion, a pickle and some dippin sauce. And while you're at it....think of me and say "Eric, this one's for you buddy!"

https://www.southernfoodways.org/ora.../kentucky-bbq/

When I was a kid, my grandfather had a very good hunting buddy who lived over in Henderson county, a place they call "Curdsville" out near the Green river.....he used to fox hunt out there sometimes and run dogs...I think I may have went a few times although this was some years ago..

Last edited by EricOldTime; 11-07-2014 at 06:36 AM..

Old 11-07-2014, 07:48 PM

26 posts, read 46,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
And while you're at it....think of me and say "Eric, this one's for you buddy!"

https://www.southernfoodways.org/ora.../kentucky-bbq/

When I was a kid, my grandfather had a very good hunting buddy who lived over in Henderson county, a place they call "Curdsville" out near the Green river.....he used to fox hunt out there sometimes and run dogs...I think I may have went a few times although this was some years ago..
Well, after all that food talk I decided to stop in Owensboro an get a chopped mutton sandwich (onion and pickles) and a sample of Burgoo. Thank you! That sandwich was awesome. The burgoo was tasy, but I'm just going to assume since it's the official dish of Kentucky I better not say "We called that Brunswick stew back home".

Thanks for the advice! Everyone in the area does seem very nice.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:49 PM

26 posts, read 46,622 times
Small update! I may have found a home that is being renovated for rent in a cornfield in Geneva! Fingers crossed he is able to get it completed for me and the pup!

Old 11-07-2014, 09:33 PM

Great! You could almost walk to Henderson from there. Glad you found something.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:04 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowie View Post
Well, after all that food talk I decided to stop in Owensboro an get a chopped mutton sandwich (onion and pickles) and a sample of Burgoo. Thank you! That sandwich was awesome. The burgoo was tasy, but I'm just going to assume since it's the official dish of Kentucky I better not say "We called that Brunswick stew back home".

Thanks for the advice! Everyone in the area does seem very nice.
Just remember, the burgoo and sandwich you got yesterday was "commercial". Not bad at all, but burgoo is never the same recipe. You'll have to take in some of the Daviess County Catholic picnics next year to discover all the different recipes and flavors that make burgoo, mutton, and pork bbq so different in Kentucky.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Just remember, the burgoo and sandwich you got yesterday was "commercial". Not bad at all, but burgoo is never the same recipe. You'll have to take in some of the Daviess County Catholic picnics next year to discover all the different recipes and flavors that make burgoo, mutton, and pork bbq so different in Kentucky.
He's right Burgoo varies, even my family has their own recipe. I like Burgoo with everything chopped up really fine, not a fan as much of the chunky tater Burgoo, like some folks like.

And the three best picnics with good Burgoo and BBQ I recommend are as follows:

1.) St Mary Of the Woods picnic in Whitesville Kentucky

2.) St Lawrence in Knottsville Kentucky

3.) St Geromes (?) in Rome Kentucky

If you stopped in Owensboro I assume you went to "Old Hickory BBQ" out on Hwy 54? I dont know if you can even get carry-out at Moonlite? My popaw alwas thought Knottsville had the best Burgoo but StMarys had great mutton. I know the family that runs the picnic out at Whitesville. Precious Blood in Owensboro has a good BBQ also....

These picnics, and the Burgoo, Mutton and also Pulled Pork is a western Ky tradition going way back. Down in Kygmans neck of the woods they are known for good BBQ also. Henderson has some good eats also. Plus there in Henderson they have a big Bluegrass and Blues music fest.....J.C. Handy music fest I think its called?

I hope you thought of me while enjoying that sliced Mutton sandwich. Its been since 2011 the last time I was there with family enjoying that stuff.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:48 PM

Fancy Farm Picnic, at St. Jerome's church in Fancy Farm, Ky, west of Mayfield, is the largest one day bar b que in the world.
Since it's always the first Saturday in August every year, is the kick off to the fall political campaigns. I went one time, in my high school years to see Alabama Gov. George Wallace, mainly just to say I'd seen him. Had to walk a mile from the closest parking place. But the food is great!!!!

Home Page

Old 11-09-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Fancy Farm Picnic, at St. Jerome's church in Fancy Farm, Ky, west of Mayfield, is the largest one day bar b que in the world.
Since it's always the first Saturday in August every year, is the kick off to the fall political campaigns. I went one time, in my high school years to see Alabama Gov. George Wallace, mainly just to say I'd seen him. Had to walk a mile from the closest parking place. But the food is great!!!!

Home Page
One of these days I need to make it down to Fancy Farm and enjoy some of that great pulled pork! I ve heard nothing but good about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky