Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 09:30 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,236,380 times

Advertisements

Here's a new tourism and living video for the city of Owensboro for anyone thinking about moving there. I thought it was pretty well done:

New Owensboro Video Makes Debut - Owensboro Living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 11:01 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,868,272 times
I think Bowling Green passed up Owensboro for the third largest city in Kentucky.....ain't that right?

Old 11-06-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
I think Bowling Green passed up Owensboro for the third largest city in Kentucky.....ain't that right?

Not sure but always thought Newport/Covington was 3rd largest behind Louisville and Lexington...no?

Old 11-06-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Not sure but always thought Newport/Covington was 3rd largest behind Louisville and Lexington...no?

Could be someone told me Bowling Green was third now.... I thought they said Owensboro, I may be wrong.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
Could be someone told me Bowling Green was third now.... I thought they said Owensboro, I may be wrong.

You may be right........ Bowling Green has certainly grown, but so has Owensboro to be quite honest. Owensboro has grown exponentially since I was a kid...I think it has close to about 100,000 people now.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:17 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,395,588 times
Northern KY urban area has as many people as Lexington, but it's split up into a bunch of little suburban cities. Even Covington only has 40k people, Newport only has 15k, but add up all of Boone, Kenton, and Campbell counties and it's 400k.

Bowling Green recently passed Owensboro as the 3rd largest municipality. BG is the fastest growing metro percentwise in the state, Owensboro / Daviess Co is growing but not nearly as fast. Major interstate and large public university is a huge deal for job growth.

I've been to Owensboro a few times and know a few people from there. I like it a lot, in spite of the tornadoes lol. Last time I stayed there in 2007 I almost drove into a tornado in near Maceo, then a tornado hit half a mile from my motel. Seriously, the only think thing that keeps more people from really liking O'boro is the downtown is not as nice as other small cities (Paducah has a great looking historic downtown). Too many empty parking lots. But they could rebuild and make it pretty again.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:32 PM

Well finally I found something we can almost say is fact...after all it's on the internet and you know what they say..."you can't put anything on the internet that ain't true"

But here it is...Bowling Green Now Third Largest City In Kentucky

Old 11-06-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Northern KY urban area has as many people as Lexington, but it's split up into a bunch of little suburban cities. Even Covington only has 40k people, Newport only has 15k, but add up all of Boone, Kenton, and Campbell counties and it's 400k.

Bowling Green recently passed Owensboro as the 3rd largest municipality. BG is the fastest growing metro percentwise in the state, Owensboro / Daviess Co is growing but not nearly as fast. Major interstate and large public university is a huge deal for job growth.

I've been to Owensboro a few times and know a few people from there. I like it a lot, in spite of the tornadoes lol. Last time I stayed there in 2007 I almost drove into a tornado in near Maceo, then a tornado hit half a mile from my motel. Seriously, the only think thing that keeps more people from really liking O'boro is the downtown is not as nice as other small cities (Paducah has a great looking historic downtown). Too many empty parking lots. But they could rebuild and make it pretty again.

I had an uncle that used to live out near Maceo and Thruston and also another one of my aunts and uncles and a cousin actually live in little ole Maceo Kentucky, they recently moved out there from closer into Owensboro bought a house near there! Small world...LOL. That whole east side, really more south east side of Daviess county, especially where Daviess, Hancock and Ohio counties meet....I have ALOTTT of kin folk out that way. If they did DNA testing I'd probably be related to almost everybody out there

Not to digress and mix this up with other threads: Alot of the Catholic familes in east Daviess county and surrounding counties adjacent to east Daviess, mine included, all have roots in Nelson, Marion and Washington counties over in central Kentucky just south of Louisville

Yes I remember a tornado that went through Owensboro ( gosh I can't remember the year now, early 2000's?? ) ...It was the ( F3 - F4? ) one that went behind the Owensboro Mall and airport and tore the roof off of "Bullfrog Aviation Hangar" and then crossed the bypass and tore up a bunch of homes between Parrish and Breckenridge right in there... My cousin was working at Wendy's out by the mall, they all got into a freezer when they saw the tornado go behind the mall. Ever since she freaks out if the sky even get's soo much as a little cloudy. Most opf the bad stuff stays on the other side of the river though. Warrick and Spencer counties over in Indiana get BAD storms..

Well, if you'd ever seen pictures, or old pictures of Owensboro, from even as late as the mid 80's they've REALLY improved on the downtown area of Owensboro alot with "Smothers Park" and the whole area down there. It's much nicer than I remember it as a kid....used to be so old looking and run down.. Also to be fair, O'Boro's downtown is pretty small also... Also they've added the "Int'l Bluegrass Music Musuem" and are going to exapnd the old "Holiday Inn" there as well....so it's a work in progress.

Did you ever eat at the famous "Moonlite or "Old Hickory BBQ" while you were there? If you didn't you missed out.....Daviess/Henderson counties are famous for their open-pit Hickory smoked BBQ....

Last edited by EricOldTime; 11-06-2014 at 02:23 PM..

Old 11-06-2014, 02:19 PM

536 posts, read 956,950 times
Great video! Thanks for posting Eric. I haven't been there, but would like to visit.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
Great video! Thanks for posting Eric. I haven't been there, but would like to visit.
If you head over to Owensboro, come out in late May and bring an empty stomach with you! I brought my Argentine wife with me to Owensboro and she thought it was cool, folks were really nice and of course family. However, she'll like Louisville much better though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky