Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 06:29 PM

26 posts, read 142,348 times

Advertisements

I'm still looking into all areas of KY...I love the state so much and there is something that is calling me....I have looked into the eastern and northern half but I have seen a lot on Bowling Green...the diversity and beauty also the access to shopping and Nashville TN...I'm a single mom of 3 looking for a change...

What side of town is the best and worst?
Does it snow a lot in the winter and how hot does it get in the summer?

any input is greatly appreciated...

Thanks....from all the way up in Columbus Ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 07:13 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
They have the KKK that patrols the neighborhoods.

Bowling Green Daily News

Old 01-02-2008, 07:26 PM

WOW!! I'm going to have to do some research on this.

Thanks

Old 01-02-2008, 08:52 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
They have the KKK that patrols the neighborhoods.

Bowling Green Daily News
While that happened, that is not accurate to post only that one fact like it is representative of the city. I really don't think that is representative of Bowling Green at all.

Back to happymee's questions.

I cut and pasted some of this from info I posted on this thread, but added a little more info here.

//www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...te-market.html

The south side of Bowling Green is generally nicer and newer subdivisions. Although there are some very nice neighborhoods in the city. Bowling Green High School is generally pretty good but there is more of an economic mix of the students, thereby hurting the test scores. Greenwood HS district is generally considered the best, this includes the southern side of the city and more newer suburban and rural areas out highways 234 (Cemetery Rd), 231 (Scottsville Road), and 622 (Plano Rd) and 884 (Three Springs Rd) to basically put you in the Greenwood District. The schools that feed into Greenwood are generally good.

You will get a couple small snowfalls typically. 1-2" and people panic. 3-6" causes the entire city to shut down. You can probably expect 6" or so total each year. Although recent years have seemed to be lower. Summer can be very hot. It can break 100 several times typically in July/August, with highs in the low 90s typical, the low 80s feel like heaven that time of year. The humidity is bad as well.

I must say though, I am partial to Lexington and the smaller towns around Central KY such as Danville, Harrodsburg, Versailles Georgetown... I think the area is prettier and has good access to Lexington, Louisville and NKY/Cincinnati areas.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:41 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Bowling Green------any "old timers" recall a song from years back about Bowling Green?
I heard it on the radio frequently in my younger days on Minnesota radio stations.

I thought it was "neat" and wondered if the Chamber ever used it for promoting their city.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:06 AM

103 posts, read 446,953 times
Maybe this is it, there have been several songs about BG over the years.

The Everly Brothers,

Way down in Bowling Green Moderator cut: copyright violation - please post snippets and links

Bowling Green Lyrics by The Everly Brothers

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-13-2008 at 03:55 PM..

Old 01-03-2008, 10:17 AM

103 posts, read 446,953 times
Bowling green has been a lot of things over the years. It used to be called little chicago, with a body found floating in the river every week. You don't hear that much anymore. Bodies clogging the drinking water intake were shocking to hear about, drink up!
As far as the KKK goes, BG is very culturally diversified, more so than ever before. Whether that is good or bad, i'll leave for you to decide. The town has grown immensely, i don't like that at all.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:47 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
YES------those are the lyrics and I'm "humming" the song as I post.

Thanks for a trip down memory lane.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMarketSlave View Post
Bowling green has been a lot of things over the years. It used to be called little Chicago, with a body found floating in the river every week. You don't hear that much anymore. Bodies clogging the drinking water intake were shocking to hear about, drink up!
As far as the KKK goes, BG is very culturally diversified, more so than ever before. Whether that is good or bad, I'll leave for you to decide. The town has grown immensely, i don't like that at all.
Well that's nothing in past couple of years Columbus has gotten worse with
Home invasions
young teens being killed for the colors they wear almost daily
my uncle was murdered for standing up for a young lady that was being mistreated by some gang bangers...the apartment I lived in a couple years ago was off the hook...fights everyday there was gun fire almost daily they sold drugs in front of the managers office they threatened him and everything...It's crack heaven here...i could go on....there's some cities that are as rough as Chicago where I live is only small potatoes...I'm white and I'm afraid to go in certain neighborhoods b/c of that...there is almost 700,000 people in the Columbus metro area...to me BG in small...
Is there a lot of gang activity in BG or wanna bee's..besides the KKK

RNC76 thanks and i think i will look into that area

I have family in Paintsville Ky and my uncle said I would be a log-hopper if i move to KY..anyone know what that means..

Thanks for the info everyone everything is being taken into consideration...you all know about the area and that's what i want...

Old 01-10-2008, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 7,661 times
Default industry

I'm in negotiations to move to Bowling Green, but with the economy as it is, and given the large economic input provided by the corvette plant in BG, does anyone have insight to the future of BG given the automotive industry impact there? I'm sure with the University there, that should help.
Thanks for your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky