Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 06:49 PM

52 posts, read 154,527 times

Advertisements

It's January now and I'm to the point where I can no longer just say I'm moving to Kentucky in June. I have to start putting my plans in motion and make a definite commitment.

I'd like input from people who made the transition from another state to Kentucky -- Do you regret it? If so, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 07:32 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,346 times
I moved here in 2006 from out of state.its been an adjustment but not in a negative way.I had to get license here that cost a little bit.I had to learn the roads esp. to all the important places.and regrets it not like Texas where I'm from it does grow on you but it takes time.I moved here for the right reasons and in thet respect it was well worth it.do I miss my roots yes but change can be good its what you make of it.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:48 PM

528 posts, read 2,480,371 times
I have no regrets about moving here, and in fact, wish we'd done so sooner!

Old 01-05-2008, 02:15 PM

52 posts, read 154,527 times
I've been warned to be prepared for the possibility that I might not be happy for the first six months until I get comfortable with the changes. Hope I remember that if I do feel somewhat unsettled.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:43 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
gblady, people who come here and are unhappy are those who fail to plan and work their plan. Kentucky is a complicated state, adorable, but complicated. We have silly taxes, sillier county officials, and many down right nice people. Don't move here and live like a hermit. Come, enjoy, participate, enjoy.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:01 PM

69 posts, read 321,575 times
Kentucky is a huge adjustment-it's nothing like the upper midwest, which I assume you're from (Green Bay, WI??). People are friendly enough, but kind of a "good 'ole boys" network. Find transplants like yourself to live among & you'll adjust better. The cost of living is good, but there just seems to be something "missing", at least if you haven't grown up there.

You may be tired of where you are, but believe me, you don't realize what you've got until it's gone. Why KY?

Old 01-07-2008, 02:35 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Hmmm....Schools, your post is interesting. In what ways is KY different from upper midwest? I grew up in the midwest and used to live in Texas, which I loved....but one of the things that did grind on me was the "gppd ole boys" network, which seemed to infiltrate the employment scene. Getting hired was definately an issue of who you knew, and it seemed that the good ole boys were taking care of themselves....sort of hard to break into. Right now I'm on the west coast and although there are many things I don't care for here and are prompting me to leave, I did get my job on my own merit and had it lined up before I moved.

I think I know what you're talking about when you say that the cost of living is good but there seems to be something "missing" if you haven't grown up there. I sensed that when I visited and I've felt that in previous relocations.

I thought gblady was on the fence about moving???? But I haven't been keeping up with the board.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:15 PM

216 posts, read 1,185,268 times
Default Complicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
gblady, people who come here and are unhappy are those who fail to plan and work their plan. Kentucky is a complicated state, adorable, but complicated. We have silly taxes, sillier county officials, and many down right nice people. Don't move here and live like a hermit. Come, enjoy, participate, enjoy.
Please explain complicated....I'm curious!

Old 01-07-2008, 10:29 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia007 View Post
Please explain complicated....I'm curious!
Me too and my family been in Kentucky since 1740.

I know nothing complicated about KY, I've have friends that move here from CA, FL, NY and other places and aside from their accent (LOL) they fit in fine. IMHO KY is no more complicated than anyplace else in the country that some one new might encounter anywhere.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,634 times
Hi i was wondering if tornados are frequent in the danville area? How is the summer humidity, and is there boating in the danville area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky