Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 07:03 PM

23 posts, read 44,653 times

Advertisements

I have done a fair bit of traveling and always said that in the end Kentucky is a hell of a place to live but news stories about education and job opportunities rarely back me up I'm sure most have already seen this but I didn't see a thread and I've been bragging to everyone I know about the fiber initiative to bring true broadband to everywhere in Kentucky. For years this was the major factor preventing me from moving back to my home and I'm sure this will have an impact on people deciding where to live. What is exciting is that the time scale for this is so short. They are talking just a handful of years to finish the whole state.

In case anyone was wondering what sector they are in and in what order this will occur here is a planned rollout map (lower number first):

http://i.imgur.com/rVHZgjm.png

Story:
State awards contract for statewide high-speed Internet by 2018 | Business | Kentucky.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 01:50 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyrne View Post
I have done a fair bit of traveling and always said that in the end Kentucky is a hell of a place to live but news stories about education and job opportunities rarely back me up I'm sure most have already seen this but I didn't see a thread and I've been bragging to everyone I know about the fiber initiative to bring true broadband to everywhere in Kentucky. For years this was the major factor preventing me from moving back to my home and I'm sure this will have an impact on people deciding where to live. What is exciting is that the time scale for this is so short. They are talking just a handful of years to finish the whole state.

In case anyone was wondering what sector they are in and in what order this will occur here is a planned rollout map (lower number first):

http://i.imgur.com/rVHZgjm.png

Story:
State awards contract for statewide high-speed Internet by 2018 | Business | Kentucky.com
Bravo KY!

Old 12-28-2014, 06:06 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,887 times
I dunno, I'm sure this helps, but do they think this is somehow going to improve the economies of the impoverished eastern Kentucky counties?

Old 01-01-2015, 02:51 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
I dunno, I'm sure this helps, but do they think this is somehow going to improve the economies of the impoverished eastern Kentucky counties?
Oh, god yeah - this could be quite significant. You've got quite a pool of available labor in Eastern Kentucky, and anything that makes it more enticing for outside money to build businesses for those people to work in is a big step forward.

And thinking more "big-picture," consider what an impact this can have in terms of education - think of how many schoolkids in Eastern Kentucky have no access to the internet at all (much less broadband), and what a competitive disadvantage it confers upon them relative to kids the same age in other parts of the country. Now, you pipe broadband internet access into those living rooms - across the entire state of Kentucky - and watch how many doors it cracks open for those kids. The playing field for those kids is about to become a lot more level. This is a very, very big step forward for Kentucky as a whole, and especially so for the kids in the rural areas.

Give a kid in Bailey's Switch access to the same information and educational opportunities as a kid in Marin or San Rafael Counties, and see what kind of concepts the kid from Kentucky dreams up. The first step to creating a better world and a better future is to visualize it - and when this initiative gets up and running, a lot of kids in Kentucky will be able to visualize things they never would have been able to imagine without it. This sort of thing is exactly how a state catches up to the rest of the world in the 21st Century. Bravo to Kentucky, and to the leaders who are making this happen.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:09 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
That is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Old 01-04-2015, 11:43 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Oh, god yeah - this could be quite significant. You've got quite a pool of available labor in Eastern Kentucky, and anything that makes it more enticing for outside money to build businesses for those people to work in is a big step forward.

And thinking more "big-picture," consider what an impact this can have in terms of education - think of how many schoolkids in Eastern Kentucky have no access to the internet at all (much less broadband), and what a competitive disadvantage it confers upon them relative to kids the same age in other parts of the country. Now, you pipe broadband internet access into those living rooms - across the entire state of Kentucky - and watch how many doors it cracks open for those kids. The playing field for those kids is about to become a lot more level. This is a very, very big step forward for Kentucky as a whole, and especially so for the kids in the rural areas.

Give a kid in Bailey's Switch access to the same information and educational opportunities as a kid in Marin or San Rafael Counties, and see what kind of concepts the kid from Kentucky dreams up. The first step to creating a better world and a better future is to visualize it - and when this initiative gets up and running, a lot of kids in Kentucky will be able to visualize things they never would have been able to imagine without it. This sort of thing is exactly how a state catches up to the rest of the world in the 21st Century. Bravo to Kentucky, and to the leaders who are making this happen.
It is literally, a game changer. I predict the negative stereotypes fade away over the next generation. There is no reason E KY cannot be as successful as mountain towns of TN and NC. The biggest enemy of E KY? Former residents of E KY who go around bad mouthing the area when they move to the coasts. This is how stereotypes persist and perpetuate for generations. Would I live in E KY? Probably not. But is it a beautiful area that should attract some people? Heck yeah, and high speed broadband is HUGE.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:52 AM

104 posts, read 174,842 times
Exactly How Close can you get to Butcher Hollow; and Still
be able to subscribe to Cable Internet?

Old 01-15-2015, 12:18 PM

175 posts, read 261,184 times
Internet is a great tool for kids .... and adults alike.... to learn. However; around here now, all the kids want to do is play on their devices. The schools have a really hard time getting the kids to go outside and play at recess. Hell that was my favorite subject when I was in school. You look around at kids in the summer and they are so pale. They don't have tans anymore. I guess they wont have to worry about skin cancer. lol. It's a double edge sword really..... Internet is like moonshine. Oh so nice but in moderation. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky