U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:52 AM

7 posts, read 20,915 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I moved to Harrisburg Pennsylvania about 15 years ago and every time the clock ticks I have hated it. My husband's job brought us here and we are ready to get out!!!!
I am thinking about the Berea, Morehead area. I need to be pretty close to a hospital because I can get employment there.
Has Ky changed a lot in 15 years? I used to live in Anchorage, Ky but I like the Lexington area much better.
Can someone give me any information about these areas. I have a Warren Mays dulcimer and would love to learn to play.
Thank you,
Tazymae
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 05:00 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,046,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazymae View Post
Hello,
I moved to Harrisburg Pennsylvania about 15 years ago and every time the clock ticks I have hated it. My husband's job brought us here and we are ready to get out!!!!
I am thinking about the Berea, Morehead area. I need to be pretty close to a hospital because I can get employment there.
Has Ky changed a lot in 15 years? I used to live in Anchorage, Ky but I like the Lexington area much better.
Can someone give me any information about these areas. I have a Warren Mays dulcimer and would love to learn to play.
Thank you,
Tazymae
Off topic. I just searched "Warren Mays dulcimer" on yahoo and your post is ranked number one.

Hmmmmmmmmm

Old 11-21-2006, 03:04 PM

4,489 posts, read 6,914,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazymae View Post
Has Ky changed a lot in 15 years?
I really don't know about Kentucky as a whole but am familiar with southeastern Kentucky.

That area has changed alot. Everyone (at least it seems to me) is moving out of that area to Corbin and London. It seems as though over the years, that area is getting more and more remote.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:22 PM

12 posts, read 40,937 times
Smile Silas

Owensboro has new bluegrass museum and home of bluegrass is just south of town. Lots of Ducimer players. Good medical jobs available now since our local medical community just announced a new 400+ bed hospital campus on 140 acres. Some of the best hunting and fishing anywhere. New performing arts center, new greenbelt with miles and miles of bike trails, beautiful river frontage with $40,000,000 (thats millions) improvements started. Great community with 4 colleges. new library, 4 museums, Lower than average cost of living. Vibrant economy with low unemployment. 3rd largest city in Kentucky and less than 3 hours to 4 major cities. One days drive to gulf coast, Chicago or to the east coast. 4 distinct seasons. You will love the life style.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:35 AM

323 posts, read 1,008,210 times
Default Re-locating to KY

I actually moved to the Richmond/Berea area from California in 1991 (around the time you left KY). Let me tell you, the Richmond area has changed a lot! It is getting more like a city, with traffic, noise, crime, etc. and has expanded tremendously. Richmond has over 30,000 population now and has constructed many roads/highways around the town.

Berea, I've heard is supposed to be moving into a HUGE population boom shortly and will not be the quiet, quaint little area you were used to fifteen years ago. You may like "city" living. If so, I guess I'd recommend the Berea area...while still small, it will be growing soon! The Lexington area has almost doubled since 1991. Lexington now has over 260,000 people! It's a disgustingly crowded, dirty, crime-ridden, expensive city. Blah!

IF you want to see the prices for rentals or buying a house, that Kentucky is famous for... you better stick with the smaller, more rural towns. Lexington has gotten ridiculous to rent or to buy compared to the rest of Kentucky (excluding places like Louisville of course)!

Moving to Kentucky should be an all around blessing for you to move back to though. You can't beat the Kentucky "southern hospitality" or the "awesomely unique and sexy country accent"!

Let me be the first to tell you (albeit a bit early). Welcome home!

Old 05-19-2007, 11:20 PM

246 posts, read 979,683 times
Default highliner

Wait, wait, wait, wait! Did someone just describe Lexington as crime ridden?! hahahahahahahaha! I guess that you've never been to Detroit, East Saint Louis, or that great big hole called Gary. Now, THOSE are crime ridden areas, not little old Lex. For all its little bitty shortcomings, this here ain't no crime capital, folks. Really,people!

Old 05-20-2007, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,148 times
nah, Lex is SexyLexy! It is a very nice place. More expensive than living in Louisville but every city has some crime.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,069 times
Morehead is a great place. We have a regional hospital, university and a small town atmosphere. Cost of living is good and it is safe. Check out www,moreheadkentuckyrentals.com for rental information.
LWA
Morehead

Old 12-16-2007, 08:07 PM

486 posts, read 1,742,004 times
"The Lexington area has almost doubled since 1991. Lexington now has over 260,000 people! It's a disgustingly crowded, dirty, crime-ridden, expensive city. Blah!"

desiree253,
Um are you kidding?? How can you possibly call Lexington crime- ridden?!?!?!? Yeah the north side is a complete dump but the other 3/4 of the town are nicer than anywhere else you could find in the state! Let the Lexington native throw in his two cents now:

First off, Richmond has become a mecca for fast food chains, I haven't seen much development there really. I've heard they're trying to build a shopping area on I-75 to rival Hamburg. That will never happen. Hamburg is the largest outdoor shopping center in the entire region if not the state.

Secondly, Lexington is about as clean a city as you will find in this state and the Ohio River Valley. I don't care if there are almost half a million people here, go to ANY other city comparable in size and Lexington wins hands down in terms of cleanliness, safety, friendliness, and number of amenities available.

Thirdly, Lexington is a medium sized city so of course it's going to be more expensive than Richmond! What did you expect?? Yes traffic is absolutely terrible for a city its size, but that's not the most important thing about a town. You make it sound like Lexington is as expensive as New York or LA. It's not even close! Yes it's the most expensive city in the state, but that's not saying very much.

Fourth, who has said that Berea is about to experience a HUGE population boom? You would think that would be widespread news. Berea is still the little arts and crafts town that it's been for 30+ years.

Just in retrospect really, I hear about so much more crime on the local news taking place in Madison and Scott Counties combined than I do in Fayette County and Fayette is triple the size of the other two (school shootings, robberies, kidnappings). I could go on and on, but for the sake of time I won't. So now I'm done with my rebuttal.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:16 PM

323 posts, read 1,008,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
"The Lexington area has almost doubled since 1991. Lexington now has over 260,000 people! It's a disgustingly crowded, dirty, crime-ridden, expensive city. Blah!"

desiree253,
Um are you kidding?? How can you possibly call Lexington crime- ridden?!?!?!? Yeah the north side is a complete dump but the other 3/4 of the town are nicer than anywhere else you could find in the state! Let the Lexington native throw in his two cents now:

Well, I CAN call it crime ridden, because that is just my opinion. Everyone has one and many disagree. I basically say crime ridden as I'm comparing it to 80% of the rest of the state. Again, this is just my opinion only... not a bash against Lexingtonites. I've stated in many of my posts.. I'm biased when it comes to cities...I hate them, so everyone just has to take my opinions as just that... an opinion from a small town lover!

And btw, YOU may think 3/4 of Lexington is nicer, but again... we ALL have our opinions!

First off, Richmond has become a mecca for fast food chains, I haven't seen much development there really. I've heard they're trying to build a shopping area on I-75 to rival Hamburg. That will never happen. Hamburg is the largest outdoor shopping center in the entire region if not the state.
Whomever lived in Lexington, pre-2000's probably never thought something like Hamburg would ever happen there either.

Secondly, Lexington is about as clean a city as you will find in this state and the Ohio River Valley. I don't care if there are almost half a million people here, go to ANY other city comparable in size and Lexington wins hands down in terms of cleanliness, safety, friendliness, and number of amenities available.

Thirdly, Lexington is a medium sized city so of course it's going to be more expensive than Richmond! What did you expect?? Yes traffic is absolutely terrible for a city its size, but that's not the most important thing about a town. You make it sound like Lexington is as expensive as New York or LA. It's not even close! Yes it's the most expensive city in the state, but that's not saying very much.

I never EXPECTED anything when it comes to costs. I was merely stating a FACT, that Lexington IS more expensive, which you agreed with, so I'm not understanding your contention with that statement?

Fourth, who has said that Berea is about to experience a HUGE population boom? You would think that would be widespread news. Berea is still the little arts and crafts town that it's been for 30+ years.

Again, this is just what people who live in that area have said. I've got no crystal ball here... just heard rumor's.

Just in retrospect really, I hear about so much more crime on the local news taking place in Madison and Scott Counties combined than I do in Fayette County and Fayette is triple the size of the other two (school shootings, robberies, kidnappings). I could go on and on, but for the sake of time I won't. So now I'm done with my rebuttal.
We don't have a local news here in Morehead, so I get the priveledge of seeing the Lexington news, nightly. I haven't seen one broadcast that I can think of... that HASN'T had shootings, bodies found, murders, robberies, muggings, child abuse, etc. Now I realize crime IS everywhere... but come on.. check out about 80% of the rest of the states newspapers. That ISN'T daily news in OUR neck of the woods! Does other cities around the U.S. have more violent crime? YUP! I merely pointed out that most of the REST of the state of KENTUCKY has LESS than Lexington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky