U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 11:29 PM

912 posts, read 1,360,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonlady View Post
Thank you so much for replying. I have been reading things about Eastern Kentucky and it usually is not very welcoming but it's on the internet so it has to be true right LOL
So I wanted to hear from someone that actually lives there so I am grateful for your answer.

So why eastern Kentucky you ask. First I am getting tired of the brutal weather,taxes that Illinois is offering. But why we chose eastern Kentucky is my husband goes there every year for the last 8 years and helps rebuild homes. He came down to assist with helping when the tornado went through. Though I have never been there his heart is sold on the beautiful country that it offers. We both have serving hearts I am just more skeptical then he is but then again I have not been there. He said the people are the nicest but I come back with that is because you will leave. Sorry my insecurities are showing. I need to be sure since we would be leaving everything we know and I am scared ok so I said it'
Your honesty would be truly appreciated.
Thank You very much

I understand Lady...don't blame you at all. I would be the same way. I hate winter also. Come and take a look around and meet some people first. We might look at things a little different but, contrary to popular belief, we're not bad people. We have family, friends, jobs and activities we like to do just like everyone else. Eastern Kentucky has it's problems but it not all bad. I have lived and worked in Eastern Kentucky all my life, and let's just say, that's been several years.

Just for the record, I wouldn't trust my Wife for one minute to relocate me sight unseen. No-sir-re-bob...it ain't happenin .

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 08:53 AM

355 posts, read 687,402 times
Well, I can't tell you much about Paintsville, 1982 or so was the last time I was there. I would say before you move down here, have a plan in place (job lined up and knowledge of the community) and have all your ducks lined up.

If you want any information about the southeast part of Kentucky, I'll be happy to help out all I can.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:37 AM

15 posts, read 15,744 times
Quote:
Can you provide any insight on Paintsville?
Hey there. i'm originally from Eastern Kentucky, born and raised in the Pikeville area (30-40 mins from Paintsville). The scenery is absolutely beautiful. As far as being accepted or not, I don't think you'd have any trouble at all if you are involved in a church or other activity that gets you out and meet people. Jobs aren't plentiful, its a very depressed area. Coal mines are going out of business left and right and thats the main industry there.

Do you like to travel? The closest (major) airport is like 2 hours away. Huntington is a bit closer but flights are super expensive for the most part and only commuter flights to bigger airports. I lived there 29 years of my life and that is the worst. Even Interstates are quite a ways away. I-64 runs through Ashland that would be the closest (and its not all that close to Paintsville lol). The closest mall? 2 hours away (Huntington has a crappy one). But if you like geographic isolation, this is the place for you! It's just not easy to get anywhere from Eastern KY. If I had to move back to KY I'd move to Lexington in a heartbeat. Its a beautiful city.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:18 AM

27,757 posts, read 20,740,171 times
I am from eastern TN, not KY, but have seen this kind of thing play out in TN and VA. The thing about remote places like eastern KY is that it is extremely isolated. I go from Corbin to Jonesville, VA via the Wilderness Road to go back home. Getting anywhere from even Middlesborough is long and tedious. It's around two hours from Lexington and two hours or so from the Tri-Cities, and Middlesborough isn't that isolated by eastern KY standards.

Unless you're retiring, you'll need jobs, and those aren't easy to come by in the mountains. Moreover, a lot of folks in the mountains are friendly, but often insular. People coming from rich states like Illinois to move in creates suspicion. There are a lot of places, particularly in western NC, where there is a lot of resentment between rich state transplants, who have driven up the cost of living but no corresponding increase in wages, and the locals, who are trying to survive off low wages as cost of living goes up.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:08 AM

10,470 posts, read 21,974,653 times
I think the OP is worried about Eastern Kentucky for the wrong reason. The best thing is the warmth and hospitality of the people. For example if you get stranded on the side of the road here in Louisville people will call road side assistance. Down there they'll pick you up, drive you to their house and fix a five star dinner for you while their cousin fixes your car - he'll probably refuse payment from you because you're a guest. That's Appalachian hospitality. I don't think they resent "outsiders" as much as people think either. And the violent stuff like feuds or honor killings haven't happened in nearly 100 years.

The problems in Eastern KY are..
1. A terrible job market, especially sine the coal economy collapsed. 99% of jobs are in local gov't (teaching, etc), shops / restaurants, or medical.
2. Only a handful of decent hospitals. People with serious trauma are flown to Lexington, Knoxville, or Huntington. Many people in isolated areas die because they are too far from treatment.
3. Economy is largely based on SS disability, welfare. It's the only choice for people who want to stay in their hometown when it has no jobs. Gov't transfer payments are 30% to 50% of total income in every KY Appalachian county
4. Drug addiction is a bit more of a problem there though only a small minority of the population has that problem.

First, I'd recommend visiting before moving. I'd never move anywhere without doing that. You may love it despite of it's problems or you might reconsider. You also may want to consider Berea because it gives you the good (friendliness, hospitality, scenery, hiking, arts and crafts) with less of the bad. Pikeville, Ashland, and London would also be worth a thought as they have decent hospitals and some shopping. You'd have less culture shock in any of those 4 verse more remote locations.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:38 PM

14 posts, read 18,434 times
Hi Everyone. First of all I want to thank everyone for answering. This weekend we went to Paintsville and Pikeville and I have to say it is a nice place and I was pleasantly surprised. It is very sad that the area has a bad rap.

I know it was only a weekend but I went into the weekend very skeptical and not wearing rose colored glasses. I had every stereotype character going through my head and happy to report I was wrong.
When we got back home I looked at my surrounding area and what I was concerned with in KY was right across the street from my own home.
What I read that was correct is Eastern KY is beautiful. Even in the dead of winter the hills were just awesome and I could only imagine the beauty that will be displayed in spring and fall.

I am sure I am not finished with asking questions and so this is not the end of the FonLady.
Again thank you everyone and God Bless.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Hi Everyone. First of all I want to thank everyone for answering. This weekend we went to Paintsville and Pikeville and I have to say it is a nice place and I was pleasantly surprised. It is very sad that the area has a bad rap.

I know it was only a weekend but I went into the weekend very skeptical and not wearing rose colored glasses. I had every stereotype character going through my head and happy to report I was wrong.
When we got back home I looked at my surrounding area and what I was concerned with in KY was right across the street from my own home.
What I read that was correct is Eastern KY is beautiful. Even in the dead of winter the hills were just awesome and I could only imagine the beauty that will be displayed in spring and fall.

I am sure I am not finished with asking questions and so this is not the end of the FonLady.
Again thank you everyone and God Bless.

Welcome to Kentucky

Old 03-21-2015, 07:41 AM

14 posts, read 18,434 times
Hogsrus thank you very much those 3 words mean ALOT
You never know we might be neighbors

Old 03-21-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Hogsrus thank you very much those 3 words mean ALOT
You never know we might be neighbors
You are very welcome, Lady.

Nothing like good neighbors. I would be glad to have another one.

Best of luck to you all.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:59 PM

279 posts, read 480,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I wouldn't think that, message boards are always that way for some reason - 200 views and 2 responses.
(A lot of people will swing in and look at the thread, but never respond....they probably aren't even from Kentucky, much less Eastern Kentucky.) I guess they are just curious, as to what is going on.
Don't take it personally - go out, and notice it is that way in every thread, and not just in the Kentucky forums - in every single one!
I personally read all the threads concerning E. KY as I'm hoping to some day have the chance to relocate to the London, KY area. So I read read read to learn learn learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or