U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 06:53 AM

14 posts, read 18,434 times

Advertisements

Hi again another question from the Fonlady.
When we were down in Eastern Kentucky looking for places to live i noticed that everyone addressed me as Ms or Mam since I was brought up in an area that does not address people like that would I be viewed as being disrespectful ? I am not used to saying that and I don't want to offend anyone.
Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 09:18 AM

3,470 posts, read 2,615,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonlady View Post
When we were down in Eastern Kentucky looking for places to live i noticed that everyone addressed me as Ms or Mam since I was brought up in an area that does not address people like that would I be viewed as being disrespectful ? I am not used to saying that and I don't want to offend anyone.
Thanks everyone
Make it a point to say "yes ma'am ", "no ma'am", "yes sir" "no sir". Pretty soon it will be 2nd nature and you will say it without even relizing it. It's good manners and shows respect to the person you are talking to. I say "yes ma'am" to the teenage cashier at McDonald's just as I do to a police officer on the beat.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:58 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,835,839 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone
People everywhere in rural Kentucky generally are that way.

Where my family lives in western Kentucky, drive down the highway and everyone waves at you as they pass, even if they don't know you... Also when you drive through the town, people sitting out on their front porches, if you make eye-contact with them, they'll wave at you and smile too..

I like it to be honest and miss it.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:47 PM

123 posts, read 145,230 times
Hi there, I am relocating to KY next year with my daughter after she graduates from high school (we are from Florida). Our initial target was Whitley county. We took a trip earlier this year and stayed in Corbin. While there, we attended a concert, shopped, visited a lot of the tourist-y stops, ate good food, mingled as much as possible and drove all over the county. My daughter has her sights set on attending UK so we are still looking for other places to land - possibly closer to Lexington. Our next trip will be this summer!!

Anyway, while we were in Whitley county, my daughter and I were so excited because the people were great! We were pleasantly surprised by the "down home" feel of everything! Everyone we talked to was very warm and welcoming. I'm sure we stuck out like a big thumb but nobody seemed to mind at all. There may be a few "bad" areas but we didn't see them and we covered almost every inch of the county!

Eastern KY and the folks there are very charming. We couldn't get enough. It's definitely a place on the map for us and I absolutely cannot wait to move! Super lovely place!

Old 06-05-2015, 12:00 PM

15 posts, read 26,031 times
We live in the tri-cities, TN area and planning a mini vacation (3-4 days) to southeastern Kentucky in July. Any suggestions on things that are a "must see?) Areas to go, stay, eat, etc...? We've been to London, Berea, Harrodsburg, Danville, Bardstown and Lexington. Would like to go somewhere with a population under 15,000. Thanks!

Old 06-05-2015, 12:25 PM

912 posts, read 1,360,435 times
We got several nice State Resort Parks in Eastern Kentucky.

Best Kentucky State Parks - State Parks - KY State Parks

Have fun!!

Old 06-06-2015, 03:51 PM

23 posts, read 25,422 times
Fonlady - We are in a similar state of mind. We are planning to retire in KY - possibly around the Lexington-Richmond-Berea area. Coming from northeast CT. Most folks see CT as a very rich, metropolitan area - where we come from it's far from that. Born in a town that had a population of less than 2,000 at the time. Very rural. Naturally, our motivation is to retire somewhere where there is "elbow room" and a much lower cost of living. KY & TN both seem to fit the bill and both have areas with similar terrain as what I'm used to. I'll be following your thread as well to see what the comments are like.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:53 AM

Hi CT Yankee
My husband thinks I am over reacting and maybe I am .......a little. But when you leave behind what you know you almost want a guarantee that you will be accepted cause let's face it we will talk funny haha no hiding that.
I have heard stories about people picking up and moving to another state and not being accepted.What does one do then?
We love what we see in eastern Kentucky and want to volunteer during our retirement days to help less fortunate then us.My husband has gone there every year to work with CAP and his heart is there.
We are looking to move there in about 5 years.

Thank You for letting me know that my concern is not just in my own little head
Have a great day

Old 06-08-2015, 12:30 AM

23 posts, read 25,422 times
Quote:
But when you leave behind what you know you almost want a guarantee that you will be accepted...
I have heard stories about people picking up and moving to another state and not being accepted.What does one do then?
.... my concern is not just in my own little head
I would be leaving behind over a century of family involvement in the local community. I think my input in town affairs is well respected, and I believe that I have contributed to the future well-being of this community. If I leave, I lose all of that.

For me, it's gonna have to be a 'no looking back' event. The evolution of our little CT 'holler' went in a bad direction when a highway Right of Way took a swath thru the middle of grandpa's farm. Over time, highway expansion and redesign of the interchange nibbled away at the property, and the subsequent commercial/industrial development totally changed things from what is was. Current land-use attitude does not favor what I knew and loved about the place - it's all about taking advantage of an interstate highway for revenue, with little consideration for those who have to tolerate it all.

The Political climate has become way too liberal, and the spending patterns (habits?) of government continue to result in new or greater taxation. I also harbor a bit of resentment towards the State because of the changes in the quality of live caused by the interstate. All of this combined has convinced me that it's time to do what I had said I never would do - leave.

I will need to make the best of the new situation, no matter what. I expect that spending a week poking around the areas of KY that I think I will like, and getting to meet as many locals as time and chance will permit, will either confirm or have me rethinking the move.

Not being accepted for what I am, and what I would be in KY, I think is unlikely. As a rural-bred CT Yankee from immigrant ancestry, I expect that my thinking and respect for others will be very similar. If not accepted, then I hope to be politely tolerated with no negative feedback. It all depends on the people and how we demonstrate ourselves to them. Might not be instant acceptance, but once we get to know each other, I think it'll be just fine.

No, I think your concern about acceptance is valid. I would not dwell on it though, lest you get obsessive about it. Consider it to be more of a caution - a reminder that we have to work a bit at fitting in. Sincerity, honesty & integrity about why we chose to pick up and resettle here in KY will help, me thinks.

Sorry about getting on my soapbox - sometimes I get a bit carried away.

Now if I can just find a buyer for my property ....

Ralph

Old 04-01-2016, 07:56 PM

Hi it's Fonlady here again I have been quite for some time but I am back.
We just got back from the Paintsville area and the weather was gorgeous that we had our windows down on the car when I noticed a very strong smell of gas. Is it always like that and where is it coming from and why
Please let me know if anyone has an idea
Many thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or