U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 07:36 PM

14 posts, read 18,413 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving from suburbia Illinois to eastern Kentucky. Friends are telling me we won't be accepted.
Any truth to that?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 08:29 PM

912 posts, read 1,355,494 times
Mercy...Mercy, where did you hear that? It's just a vicious rumor.

Where did you find these alleged friends?

Why Eastern Kentucky, if I might ask?

Old 03-08-2015, 10:57 AM

534 posts, read 765,977 times
I think you will find very friendly and excepting people in eastern KY as anywhere else. It's a pretty area of KY.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:00 AM

534 posts, read 765,977 times
I mean accepting.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:03 PM

Thank you so much for replying. I have been reading things about Eastern Kentucky and it usually is not very welcoming but it's on the internet so it has to be true right LOL
So I wanted to hear from someone that actually lives there so I am grateful for your answer.

So why eastern Kentucky you ask. First I am getting tired of the brutal weather,taxes that Illinois is offering. But why we chose eastern Kentucky is my husband goes there every year for the last 8 years and helps rebuild homes. He came down to assist with helping when the tornado went through. Though I have never been there his heart is sold on the beautiful country that it offers. We both have serving hearts I am just more skeptical then he is but then again I have not been there. He said the people are the nicest but I come back with that is because you will leave. Sorry my insecurities are showing. I need to be sure since we would be leaving everything we know and I am scared ok so I said it'
Your honesty would be truly appreciated.
Thank You very much

Old 03-08-2015, 12:53 PM

8,389 posts, read 4,662,770 times
I can see where you would be concerned in the sense that as a newcomer, small towns are either going to shun any outsiders, or they are going to be super friendly and accepting. (I am sure we probably have an unfriendly town or two in Kentucky, but most of the smaller towns in Kentucky, that I have been to, are the kind of friendly Mayberry type towns.

I live far off in Lexington, but everyone I have ever worked with that was from Eastern Kentucky have been some of the most friendly, down to earth and kindest people you would ever want to meet. And it really is some of the prettiest country that you can find in the whole state, those Mountains are gorgeous!

Not to say the area is perfect, like any place it does have its problems. There are problems with poverty and drugs, for instance, in some places in Eastern Kentucky. As for the poverty part, I don't think that a man's worth is at all tied into the amount that is in his wallet or bank account...nor is it a reflection upon his character or heart.

I think you should pay a visit to the area. Appalachia does have it's own specific culture...but in the end, people have a lot more in common with other people than differences, I believe.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:13 PM

Can you provide any insight on Paintsville?

Old 03-08-2015, 09:22 PM

For a short time I worked with a girl from Paintsville, she was very sweet and down to earth. I know that it is a coal mining town. I believe Crystal Gail (Loretta Lynn's sister) was born in Paintsville. Here is the Wikipedia page

Paintsville, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-09-2015, 03:01 PM

Thank You Crazee Cat Lady that was interesting reading. I appreciate your response to this thread. I am new at this and I see the number of views but no other responses should I be concerned that the Eastern Kentuckians don't want to respond?
Have a blessed day

Old 03-09-2015, 09:57 PM

I wouldn't think that, message boards are always that way for some reason - 200 views and 2 responses.
(A lot of people will swing in and look at the thread, but never respond....they probably aren't even from Kentucky, much less Eastern Kentucky.) I guess they are just curious, as to what is going on.
Don't take it personally - go out, and notice it is that way in every thread, and not just in the Kentucky forums - in every single one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or