Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 09:03 PM

33 posts, read 50,336 times

Advertisements

Half of my family are light skinned and the other half are dark skinned is there many people living in Tennessee and kentucky or is there any Mexicans there? We are looking into these two states To move
No we are not illegals born and raised in California my grandma is in her 60s looking to retired and the rest of us looking for jobs cheaper living and great schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 09:13 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,420,253 times
They have Mexicans in Lexington KY and Louisville KY and even more in Nashville TN. Not a huge percentage of the population but they have them.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
They have Mexicans in Lexington KY and Louisville KY and even more in Nashville TN. Not a huge percentage of the population but they have them.
Thank you do they live in nice areas lol which cities are nice areas

Old 03-25-2015, 02:05 AM

367 posts, read 693,016 times
In Louisville they live around the Preston Highway area which is called Okolona. I think Louisville has around 5000 . Cincinnati Ohio also has some in the Fairfield,Hamilton area....I worked at a few warehouse jobs there .Very nice hardworking people. Both areas are fairly cheap.Look on craigslist to compare the areas.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmc66 View Post
In Louisville they live around the Preston Highway area which is called Okolona. I think Louisville has around 5000 . Cincinnati Ohio also has some in the Fairfield,Hamilton area....I worked at a few warehouse jobs there .Very nice hardworking people. Both areas are fairly cheap.Look on craigslist to compare the areas.
Thank you I will I keep going round and round to where to move lol my fiance likes city life I like country he's afraid there is not much to do especially coming from a city but I'm more concern for the jobs and I want to be able to live life comfortable good schools and not living poor 2,000 in Sacramento is nothing for our monthly and no benefits he works so hard for nothing and it's 4 of us

Old 03-25-2015, 05:03 AM

14,663 posts, read 7,964,687 times
There are quite a few Mexican/Hispanic people in Lexington (at least in the Southwest part of the City where I live.) Not sure about the other places. This is a nice part of town, and has good schools.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:24 AM

9,512 posts, read 8,972,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emz916 View Post
Thank you do they live in nice areas lol which cities are nice areas
You have to figure out what you and your family want. If it's nice neighborhoods where a $2000 a month rent is average then that neighborhood will be a mix of race, age, and families. If you are seeking an area that is heavily concentrated with south Americans, Puerto Ricans, red necks, etc, the neighborhood will not be as expensive nor as many would perceive as nice. Shelby county, outside of Louisville, has 20% of their residents with Hispanic ethnicity. Some live in $250k houses, some rent. The school system in Shelby counties is quite good.

Are you looking for same type of jobs, great neighborhoods, better schools, places where your dollar stretches farther? Whatever it is for salary, from Sacramento to Kentucky will be significantly less but so will costs. People in Kentucky work hard too and sometimes feel they aren't making progress towards retirement.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:52 AM

11,008 posts, read 17,383,046 times
There are plenty of Mexicans in western Kentucky. When the chicken processing plants opened in Sebree and Mayfield quite a few years ago, Mexicans were a majority of the work force. The plant work force, at least at the Mayfield plant, is largely Somalians now but there are a good number of Mexicans in the area. If your fiance likes city and you want country you might try some place like Paducah where you get a little of both.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:45 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,228,755 times
My wife is Argentine and I come from an old Kentucky family. We've been doing some research on Louisville and been in touch with latinos there and they tell us the latino population is really growing, more coming all the time, even a professor at UofL who is an Argentine and actually used to attend a church here in Arg where my wifes Uncle was a pastor! Small world!

When I was a kid up there you rarely saw any latinos, now quite a few of them concentrated in many places.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:00 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,334,810 times
This region is less Hispanic than other parts of the USA but there is still a significant and growing number of Hispanics. In Louisville and Lexington probably 70% are Mexican or Central American and 30% are Cuban. Most Kentuckians have a positive view of Hispanics, strict anti immigrant laws passed in other states don't get passed here. Many of us have parents / grandparents who moved North after WW2 and then came back after being treated like dogs, so we can relate the the working class Hispanics who help drive the American economy but aren't often appreciated.

I believe Shelbyville (east of Louisville towards Lexington) is the most percent Hispanic city/town in the state, it's 20% Hispanic. Louisville and Lexington are in the 5% range with some areas being in the 15% range. In Louisville Lyndon, Jtown, Okolona, and Clarksville Indiana have the largest numbers. There's an entire small shopping center near me that's all Mexican grocery other than a Subway restaurant. West Lexington (Versailles Rd) is almost 30% Hispanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky