U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:44 PM

4 posts, read 12,356 times

Advertisements

What does the landscape of Glasgow look like? Is it flatter than Lexington or pretty much the same? I've visited the Bluegrass area a few times & really like the scenery. Is Glasgow/Bowling Green similar? My family is considering moving to Harrodsburg but I'm finding that the housing prices look to be a bit better in Barren county. I'd like to compare the two places. Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 08:11 AM

10 posts, read 44,578 times
HI Guys,
I just happened to find this forum and it is interesting to read others opinion of where I grew up.

I agree, drugs and meth are everywhere, but my prejudice is that it "ain't as bad as the big citys".

In fact I am from Barren County and they were just voted the "best place to live" by Progressive Farmer mag.

The one main complaint from most out-of-towners, is the "dry counties".
If you are not familiar with this, it means no alcohol can legally be sold in the county. For that matter, Warren County is "dry" too.

So you can't just go out and get a beer with a steak,unless you drive the 30 miles to Bowling Green. IT is archaic, I know...but this is the Bible belt....

Anyway, once you get to BG, you have plenty of choices...it supposedly has more restraurants per capita, than any other city in the US.
Weekends, BG is full of people from all surrounding counties who come to shop at the Mall and eat at the chain restarutants like 'OUtback', TGIFridays, Longhorn...etc...

In short, this area is growing, new industry offers entry level jobs in the $12 to $15 range...with "skilled trades" in the low $20's.

You can by a roughly 2000 square foot home, with an acre or two of land, well under the $200,000 mark.

Come on down...alot of people do...especially with BG being a college town.
Glasgow has extended braches of Western Kentucky Univesity and community college (vo-tec) as well.

My wife is from Ohio, and loves the rolling hills...although If we drive too fast, she sometimes gets carsick..:-)

Hope you find what you are looking for.
Ernie

Last edited by ernieb.2; 07-29-2007 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-29-2007, 09:26 AM

43 posts, read 41,845 times
We researched from Florida before moving to KY and decided on Breckinridge county KY two years ago and are not sorry. Low crime, low taxes, and low property prices make it a very attractive place. The weather is great with mild winters (so far) and short summers. We haven't had any major storms and people are friendly, jobs are plentiful as you can work in Louisville, Ft. Knox, Elizabethtown, Brandenburg, Hardinsburg. I know the crime is low because of the type of job I have. The Sheriff is great here and runs a tight ship keeping the criminals off the street. There is no better place anywhere!

Old 08-11-2007, 08:33 AM

4 posts, read 8,894 times
i dont know if your interested in a small small town if so carrollton kentucky is the place no crime few incedents everyone knows every body we are about 30 minutes between 2 cities where the malls and everything is we do have a lot of resterants schools are great.if i can be any help let me know.<spittbull99@aol.com>

Old 08-16-2007, 12:03 AM

8 posts, read 30,270 times
I agree with you about Russellville, in the middle of nowhere, yet close to everything! My future home! I have done lots of research, and have found Russellville to exacty what I am looking for. Good bye Houston TX!

Old 08-25-2007, 05:06 PM

3 posts, read 12,920 times
Default Back at ya Jack

Jack,
My husband and I went touring around several states to look for that right place for our retirement. We've got about 10 years to go, but needed to find the right lot now, build later. We discovered our Lake Malone. It's an absoloutely beautiful lake (around 800 acres). The state limits the amount of businesses as well as what happens with the 50 set back from the water, which by the way is level all year. The taxes in KY are much better than in Ohio where we're from, as well as the winters. Fishing is great but the people there are what will sell you. I've never met more kind and giving people anywhere. Good luck to you. Look in Logan, Muehlenberg and Todd Counties. This lake is about 20 minutes from Russellville, 1 hour from Nashville and 50 minutes from Bowling Green.
Kathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJack View Post
Hi...
I'm also considering a move to Kentucky. Have lived in Alaska too long... and need to thaw out but not roast! Have been reasearching around the Stearns area, as I also am looking for a smallish town.... maybe close to some fishing and sort of off the beaten path. I'm retired from aviation. It's just me and my dog! It looks like the real estate prices in the area are reasonable..... as I am not looking for anything fancy.... maybe 2 bedrooms at the most, but would like to have a couple of acres of land and a garage for my jeep. Any comments would be appreciated!
Jack

Old 10-07-2007, 12:33 PM

8 posts, read 17,338 times
Default South Dakota

Hi,
I realize this post is old but wondering how it all turned out for you.
My husband and I are now considering what you were considering.
Any ideas? Bev

Old 10-07-2007, 12:39 PM

8 posts, read 17,338 times
Hi, my husband and I are from South Dakota. Just recently anticipating a change in our life by moving to Tennessee, Kentucky, or Arkansas. Wow! what a change from S.D. huh? We are in our 50s. Rural country "like" preferrable. Any suggestions? Bev

Old 10-07-2007, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,840 times
Default Hodgenville The Best

I have lived in Owensboro it was great too but I highly reccomend Central Ky. as the best. I have in west & East but central has them all beat. I Just recently as of 2 years ago moved to Hodgenville, Ky Birthplace of Abe Lincoln it is 10 miles from Elizabethtown, 50 miles from Louisville, 20 miles from Bardstown, 20 miles from Glasgow, and 85 miles from Lexington it is beautiful low crime, drugs not a major problem, loving people, great churches, and schools. It Is HOME

Old 10-12-2007, 11:50 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,343,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by him&me View Post
Hi,
I realize this post is old but wondering how it all turned out for you.
My husband and I are now considering what you were considering.
Any ideas? Bev
Unfortunately we never made the move. I couldn't talk the hubby into it. I'm still trying to talk him into moving out of Philly. He wants to stay close to his family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky