Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 12:18 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,429,520 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to Kentucky but I'm not sure where yet. I would like to move to a small town instead of a big city. I need affordable housing and I would like to move close to decent-paying jobs. And I want to be far away from crime and drugs (which is very prevailant here in Philly). Any suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2006, 10:18 PM

8 posts, read 66,433 times
Hi Joyce!

I understand completely about wanting to get away from the crime and drugs. I'm from Chicago, and we have more than enough of that here too.

Although there will be crime almost anywhere we go, my guess is that a smaller place won't have the problems that Philly and Chicago have.

What do you consider to be a small town in terms of size and/or population? What kind of housing are you looking for and are you interested in any particular job field?

I'm not an expert on Kentucky by no stretch, but my husband and I have been researching the state since it looks like he'll be transferring down there (most likely Owensboro) in a few months (the latest). So, maybe some of the things we found out in our research can help?

I wish you lots of luck, Joyce.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 20,071 times
South Central Ky is the place to be. However, drugs are everywhere you turn anymore. Seems there is no getting away from it. Good Luck

Old 04-21-2006, 02:30 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,429,520 times
Dear KalicoKat & Ky Girl,
Thanx for replying. Unfortunately, there's drugs everywhere but I have 3 drug houses surrounding me (one right next door). And I live in the better part of Philly. You'd think the police would be right on top of it to keep this area's rep. But they tell us they can't do anything because the dealings are inside the homes. Whatever happened to stakeouts & stings? Anyways, I was looking at central Ky near the horse farms (since I love the horses) but not in Lexington (which I guess is the big city even if it isn't as big as Philly). Maybe Hustonville or Danville. But I've seen nice homes in Wickliffe, Edmonton, & Munfordville, which is now starting to make me indecisive about where to settle. I'm looking for an older home that doesn't need alot of work but has some acreage. I want to go crazy planting a garden. No more than $150,000. My husband currently works in a textile mill (not too many of those around anymore) & he's also worked in warehouses. I've worked in flower shops. But I'm thinking I'd like to branch out into either nursery/greenhouse work or landscaping. I'd love to work with horses but I don't think my back would allow it. My biggest obstacle right is that we don't drive (not that we can't learn) & that kind of limits us. But thanx again for any info you can give me. I certainly will appreciate it.

Old 04-21-2006, 08:53 PM

8 posts, read 47,644 times
Hi...
I'm also considering a move to Kentucky. Have lived in Alaska too long... and need to thaw out but not roast! Have been reasearching around the Stearns area, as I also am looking for a smallish town.... maybe close to some fishing and sort of off the beaten path. I'm retired from aviation. It's just me and my dog! It looks like the real estate prices in the area are reasonable..... as I am not looking for anything fancy.... maybe 2 bedrooms at the most, but would like to have a couple of acres of land and a garage for my jeep. Any comments would be appreciated!
Jack

Old 04-25-2006, 07:46 AM

4 posts, read 35,620 times
Smile Me too

I thought I would share, I'm moving to Kentucky as well. I have some of the same issues as Joyce, but mostly were moving to be near our daughter and grandson who live in Owensboro.

I ran across a couple of homes I liked in Island on a Realtors website, I was looking for a map of Island to get an idea where it is exactly. I got distracted by the link to this forum and I was surprise to find the first thread was about relocating to Kentucky. So I had stop in and say HI!

Old 05-01-2006, 06:37 PM

19 posts, read 88,213 times
If anyone is interested here's a picture of the Midd*****ro, KY/ Cumberland Gap, TN area.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 17,152 times
Default Moving to Ky??

Moved to Ky about 6 years ago. Detroit area was home for all my life. We settled in Bowling Green. Love it here. Housing very affordable. Crime rate low (except meth is a growing problem like it is everywhere). Taxes no better or worse than most places. Weather is ideal-still with 4 distinct seasons. Job situation could be better, though. Unemployment higher than national average but mostly among the under-educated.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:02 AM

2 posts, read 19,529 times
Default moving to Kentucky

Hi Joyce

I work with insurance agents in Kentucky and a good place to be for jobs is near Louisville. If you like rural then Bowling Green. Its half way between Louisville and Nashville which is convienent for travel in and out of airports. Insurance rates are pretty reasonable there to as well. Humana has many jobs in Louisville or Lexington.

Hope that helps

Debbie

Old 05-12-2006, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 20,635 times
Default I am too!!

I'm trying to research places to live in Kentucky. I live in WV now so it wouldn't be very far for me to move. My twins have autism and I need a school that offers services which no school in WV does. I'm looking at the Ashland area but not right in the city. Any help or advice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky