U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 7,854 times

Advertisements

My husband has been transferred to Kentucky and can choose where in Kentucky he wants to go. We have narrowed our search down to Louisville, Lexington or Bowling Green. I'm leaning towards Lexington but he can't make up his mind.

He works from home and will be traveling throughout KY, TN and southern OH. Low crime is probably the most important thing to us. We are in our early 50's, no children at home, enjoy good restaurants, farmer's markets, festivals, some sporting events. We currently live 2 1/2 hours from the closest major airport, so we'd really like to be within an hour or so from one. We are looking for a new construction home in the $275,000-300,000 range and would love to find a planned development community with nice areas to walk. Shopping and restaurants nearby too.

We need help & would appreciate any recommendations - thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 08:21 PM

5,808 posts, read 9,618,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbville View Post
My husband has been transferred to Kentucky and can choose where in Kentucky he wants to go. We have narrowed our search down to Louisville, Lexington or Bowling Green. I'm leaning towards Lexington but he can't make up his mind.

He works from home and will be traveling throughout KY, TN and southern OH. Low crime is probably the most important thing to us. We are in our early 50's, no children at home, enjoy good restaurants, farmer's markets, festivals, some sporting events. We currently live 2 1/2 hours from the closest major airport, so we'd really like to be within an hour or so from one. We are looking for a new construction home in the $275,000-300,000 range and would love to find a planned development community with nice areas to walk. Shopping and restaurants nearby too.

I can offer one bit of help. Restaurants in the Cincinnati area including northern KY across the river are good. I've yet to have a single bad dining experience in that area and I've been eating out there since I first visited the area in 1989. When you visit the Cincinnati area, both sides of the river will offer some decent eating establishments.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:52 PM

569 posts, read 1,263,069 times
Hmmm....those choices are small medium and large. I live in Nashville but spend a fair amount of time in Bowling Green. My partner and I own a house there. I've spent some weekends in Louisville and had a good time. I've only been to Lexington once, but I could see the appeal for you. I'll mostly comment on Bowling Green since I'm no expert on the other two. Bowling Green is a nice college town and it has a surprising number of restaurants for its size (even though most are chains). There are a few good independent ones too. The downtown square is nice and seems to have a fair amount of festivals/art crawls and such. There is a new minor league baseball park downtown too. You would be a little over an hour from the airport in Nashville (which probably has the best airport of the 3). I guess it depends on what size town you are comfortable in. I personally don't want to live in a city any smaller than Nashville....but we all have our preferences.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:52 PM

11,022 posts, read 22,472,784 times
Where do you live now and what size place would you prefer? Louisville has a much bigger airport than Lexington, though you have a decent number of connector flights. BG has a very tiny airport. All three have good points and are easily within budget

Old 08-05-2015, 12:31 AM

9,279 posts, read 5,065,789 times
Quote:

Yep, your choices are small, medium or large!

Bowling Green is the smallest of the bunch, but not terribly far from Nashville. (My Uncle used to live in Bowling Green and commuted for work in Nashville.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ONnBNbJxak

I can't compare Bowling Green but Lexington does have a lower crime rate than Louisville in General.
(It has more to do with what neighborhood you live in, in each city though, to be honest.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOiv6FCSDdw
It's really pretty here, in Lexington....you are right in the heart of the Bluegrass region of the state and you are surrounded by miles and miles of horse farms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poJx6RHPZJ8

Louisville is a really large city and there is never anything lacking to do, it has great parks and lots of free activities...it does have the biggest airport in the state.

In any of the cities though, it's only a few hours away to visit, so you will have lots of places to visit when you move here.....and don't forget to visit some must see places like Daniel Boone Forest, the Red River Gorge, Cumberland Falls, Kentucky Lake just to name a few!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm45Xrw7FFY

Anyways, welcome to Kentucky!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltog...yer_detailpage

Old 08-05-2015, 10:09 AM

42 posts, read 38,348 times
Quote:

Out of the three I would recommend Lexington. Despite the fact I'm a Louisville native and I currently reside there, it's considered blasphemy by most Louisvillians to recommend Lexington for anything but I just like Lexington better. Every time I've visited Lexington, it's changed. Lexington is thinking outside of the box. It's still a mid sized city but it's growing rapidly. It's actually growing at a faster rate than Louisville in terms of population. Same applies for Bowling Green but college towns are kind of a thing now so many college towns are experiencing rapid growth and change. Louisville has some good things too, it's got a nice nightlife but mostly in the highlands area. In fact the best of Louisville is in the highlands. Crime rates in Lex and BG also aren't as high as Louisville, especially at the moment with a crime spike going on. That doesn't mean Lex and BG are without crime. BG isn't nearly as bad as it used to be, in the 1960s it used to be called "Little Chicago". You can check out all three places though but I'd put more time into Lexington though. It's got a lot going for it at the moment.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,854 times
Thanks for the info! It's very helpful!

censusdata, we live in Springfield, MO so about 170,000 population but we've lived in Denver, Tulsa, San Antonio previously. Bowling Green does worry me a bit because it's so much smaller. I wouldn't mind living in a bigger city as long as I have what I need on a day to day basis fairly close by.

Thank you Crazee Cat Lady for the videos too!

Old 08-05-2015, 07:58 PM

4,923 posts, read 5,423,469 times
You move to Bowling Green to be close to Nashville, TN.. GOOD LUCK and GOD BLESS

Old 08-05-2015, 08:02 PM

11,022 posts, read 22,472,784 times
Lexington is similar in size to Springfield but with a major public university that gives it more vibrancy. Louisville is between San Antonio and Tulsa in size. I like Bowling Green but there's no getting around that the nearest real airport is in Nashville. Also Lexington is much closer to larger cities than Springfield, just over an hour to Louisville or Cincinnati.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:03 AM

6,877 posts, read 14,706,924 times
Louisville hands down, but I am still not sure what you are wanting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky