U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 16,037 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I'm 23 and its time for a change. I need a small city, 20-30k, cheap rent and good people. I would like to be no more than 2 hours south of the Ohio border and the more to the east the better. I need a place where if I want I can raise a few mules, and my dog can play. Right now its just me and the dog looking for a small place. . . and a good job. I am in the hospitality business, so a place with a few good hotels (Hilton, Hampton ect) would be great. I'm not in a big hurry, but then again there's not much keep'n me here!

I hope to hear from someone soon!

~*Warmest Blessings,
Ff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2006, 10:08 PM

8 posts, read 62,681 times
Hi Ford!

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but the following small cities (that have between 20k-30k people) seem to be close to the Ohio border:

Ashland-this is pretty far east ( //www.city-data.com/city/Ashland-Kentucky.html )
Florence ( //www.city-data.com/city/Florence-Kentucky.html )
Frankfort-the capitol ( //www.city-data.com/city/Frankfort-Kentucky.html )

Good luck!

Old 05-02-2006, 07:35 AM

10 posts, read 60,356 times
You could check out Dry Ridge, KY. It's a small place(far from 20K though) only 30 minutes south of Cincy, so your close to all the things you may need, yet your still able to live in the country.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:04 PM

320 posts, read 1,458,192 times
If you are in the hospitality business you will probably want to be close to Louisville or Lexington. There are a lot of small towns surrounding both of these cities.

Louisville is actually a very nice city with a lot to offer. Small towns around Louisville include Bardstown, Elizabethtown, Rineyville, Vine Grove, Radcliff, and Hodgenville just to name a few.

I think you would really like Elizabethtown (ETown) or Rineyville. Bardstown and Hodgenville are nice too but I prefer ETown.

Going towards Lexington, I really like Frankfort.

You may wish to get a detailed map and research the various towns surrounding the larger cities mentioned above. You can alos email the Chamber of Commerce in each of these towns and ask for info on the area.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:27 PM

11 posts, read 71,602 times
You wont find good work in Hodgenville KY and fair in Elizabethtown. Rent is not cheap....

Old 06-13-2006, 07:15 AM

320 posts, read 1,458,192 times
Elizabethtown has easy access to Louisville. It is not a bad commute, and I know many that do it. Louisville has a lot to offer in the OP's line of work. IMHO, rents are not bad. Of course, where you you come from will determine how you view that. We moved to the area from Texas where rents are much higher than mortgages. Although, I have to say that housing prices are probably better in Texas than they are here. You definitely get much more bang for your buck in Texas. However, taxes and insurance are much, much lower here than in Texas. Utilities and general cost of living is also lower here than in Texas - even taking into account the state income tax here in KY.

Having lived in a number of places and states, I think KY - especially ETown - is a great place to live. The only place that I think might be better is NC.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:42 PM

3 posts, read 25,326 times
Danville or Richmond are both pretty cool towns. You could also try Berea...but Berea and Danville are both dry or semi-dry counties, meaning there aren't any bars and clubs...but they do serve drinks in most of the restraunts in Danville.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:03 PM

108 posts, read 715,894 times
Here is a list of Kentucky cities of approximately 20-30K in population that are close to the Ohio border:

1. Richmond 30,008

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/27/KYMap-doton-Richmond.PNG (broken link)

Approximately 90-100 miles from Ohio border. Richmond is the 6th largest city in Kentucky and the county seat of Madison County. It was named after Richmond, Virginia. In 2004, the city population was 30,008. By 2010 it is expected to have a population of 34,292. It is home to Eastern Kentucky University.

2. Frankfort 27,281

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c2/KYMap-doton-Frankfort.PNG (broken link)

Approximately 65 miles from Ohio border. Frankfort is the capital of Kentucky, a state of the United States of America. It is the county seat of Franklin County. Frankfort is the home of Kentucky State University, a historically black university situated near the downtown area. Two school districts serve the city, with three public high schools located within the city limits.

3. Florence 25,449

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a3/KYMap-doton-Florence.PNG (broken link)

Approximately 11 miles from the Ohio border. Florence is a city in Boone County, Kentucky, United States. Florence is the closest significant town to Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport. Florence is the largest city in Boone County, and the second largest in Northern Kentucky.

4. Nicholasville 22,878

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e5/KYMap-doton-Nicholasville.PNG (broken link)

Approximately 84 miles from the Ohio border. Nicholasville is the 14th largest city in Kentucky and the county seat of Jessamine County, Kentucky. The median income for a household in the city was $37,462, and the median income for a family was $42,978. Males had a median income of $31,536 versus $22,275 for females.

5. Radcliff 21,617

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/27/KYMap-doton-Radcliff.PNG (broken link)

Approximately 118 miles from the Ohio Border. Radcliff is a city in Hardin County, Kentucky, United States. Its economy is largely dominated by the adjacent Fort Knox Army base and the county seat of Hardin County, Elizabethtown. The median income for a household in the city was $35,763, and the median income for a family was $41,260. Despite being in a dry county (Hardin), sales by the drink in restaurants seating at least 100 diners are allowed. Radcliff, has also, in the past, held the world record for the most fast food restaurants in a one square mile area.

6. Ashland 21,586

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a7/KYMap-doton-Ashland.PNG (broken link)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c0/Downtown_ashland_KY.jpg (broken link)

Approximately 106 miles from the Ohio Border. Ashland is a city located in Boyd County, Kentucky, nestled along the banks of the Ohio River. Ashland is a part of the Huntington-Ashland, WV-KY-OH, Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA). As of the 2000 census, the MSA had a population of 288,649. Ashland boasts a 47-acre wooded Central Park that hosts an annual holiday light show, Winter Wonderland of Lights. The city is host to several summer events as well including Poage's Landing Days and Summer Motion. The median income for a household in the city was $30,309, and the median income for a family was $40,131.

7. Georgetown 19,732

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8e/KYMap-doton-Georgetown.PNG (broken link)

Approzimately 59 miles from the Ohio border. Georgetown is a city in Scott County, Kentucky, United States. It is the county seat of Scott County. The city is named in honor of President George Washington. It is the home of Georgetown College, a private liberal arts college. The city's recent growth began in the mid-1980s, when Toyota built its first wholly-owned United States plant north of the city.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:53 PM

7 posts, read 33,741 times
Georgetown is very nice. It is growing but still has areas that are relatively inexpensive with some land attached. It is about an hour from Cincinnati and 15 miles from Lexington.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:55 PM

14 posts, read 88,748 times
hi, I'd like of my friend Mr. John stuck, we working in Brazil the Carter Federal Mogul.
he live in Kentucky, but I've know come way me.
my name's Rogerio "Draftman"
thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or