U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 07:04 PM

123 posts, read 144,599 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I originally thought my daughter and I would be relocating to the Lexington area. However, we found out that WKU has the specific programs she's wanting and it is much cheaper than UK! So, she is working on her application to WKU (we will know in about 3 weeks if she's accepted!!) and I am looking for a place to live. We will be moving next June once she graduates from high school. She can transfer with her part time job and I am praying and hoping to do the same with my job - I currently work for a utility company.

Anyway, I would prefer to find a place to rent at first but the apartment life wouldn't be very good for us. I want to find something that's out in the country, $750/mo max (depending on my job transfer) and fenced because I have dogs. I have looked and looked and it seems to be slim pickings. When the occasional opportunity does pop up, it's not available for very long. I've been checking all of the sites, is there a different method to my madness worth checking out? I know that it's still early but I just don't want to wait till the last minute and get stuck with nothing...is the market always this tough for the area? I'm getting a little nervous about the availability. I just thought I would see more stuff out there. I'm not opposed to living outside of BG, but we would have to be somewhat close for obvious reasons. I currently rent straight from the homeowner and I prefer that - less middleman hoops, fees and hassle. Any advice for me? Anyone know a guy who knows a guy? Thank you 😊
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 07:35 AM

10,380 posts, read 21,918,028 times
I don't know about specific apartments but BG has a lot of them and in violent crime is very low there. I doubt you'd have to look outside of BG.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:50 PM

Ok thank you, I am looking for a house or mobile home to rent. My dogs bark so I don't think the neighbors would appreciate that in an apartment. See, there are many, many homes for rent here in my area so I initially thought (not knowing much about BG) I would find a lot of homes to pick from - seems like there's only a few and most of them are in town or a little pricey. I'm ok with being in town and I realize I need a few specific things like a fenced yard...just seems like there's not a lot of options available in the area. I'm hoping someone has a little advice about where to look? Maybe some of the local owners don't advertise on the big websites? I will also check the BG paper, haven't done that much. Or maybe it's just about the timing...

We are really excited to move, it seems like a much nicer place to be compared to where we are from. I'm hoping we can take a quick trip this coming spring to scope it out before the move. We visited earlier this year but we were in Whitley county and (at the time) didn't know anything about BG or WKU! Anyway, we love Kentucky, can't wait to move!

Last edited by wlc74; 12-02-2015 at 06:03 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 10:25 AM

No owners willing to rent to an outsider next year? I'm looking into surrounding areas as well like Glasgow. I want something quiet, country, fenced and cheap. If not fenced, maybe I can add one?

Old 12-18-2015, 04:35 PM

17 posts, read 36,783 times
Neat! I just moved here 6 months ago, and really enjoy the town! Lots to offer! I can't tell you much about rentals that you can't find from realtor websites and craigslist, but I can let you know about anything else if you want! Moved here from Iowa. Upgrade!

Old 12-20-2015, 07:12 PM

Well hello there! Thank you for the reply. Were you able to find a place to purchase? If so, what channels did you use besides the internet - did you visit first? What made you relocate to Bowling Green?

My daughter and I are crazy excited! We will find out very soon if she was accepted to WKU. After the holidays, I will be looking for a job/home with more determination. I am planning on a quick trip up in the Spring so we can check out the area and hopefully get a tour of the school.

So I have found a lot of information online about BG and most of it sounds great! From what I understand, it's a pretty safe place with a lot of shopping, restaurants, etc...as far as being "new", have you found that most people are welcoming? I'm thinking that BG is used to new people moving to the area because of the school, do you live in town? Have you been to the caves yet? Are there a lot of hiking/biking trails in BG?

We have dogs and we like outdoor stuff like building fires, hiking, fishing, swimming, grilling, etc...so I really want to find a place outside of town but still close enough to everything. I will be going to school as well but once I graduate, I will be in the market to buy a home and a little land in Kentucky.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:23 PM

I have a question for the locals - how is the travel between Glasgow and Bowling Green? Anybody know? Google Maps shows the Cumberland Pkwy route is about a 42.5 mile distance between the cities. Is there a better route to take that would provide a shorter distance, less traffic or safer conditions? If we relocate to Glasgow, I'm a little worried about my daughter traveling that distance every day. She currently drives an Expedition and it might take us another year to get a small car for her to save on gas. And we are not familiar with snow/ice driving...anybody familiar with this stretch between Glasgow and BG?

I've really narrowed my research and it seems as if BG may have everything we need (school, work) but living there might be a different story. BG may be a little too big.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:28 PM

12,409 posts, read 9,522,286 times
My horse resides at a farm near BG. We visited and got a chance to tour Mammoth Cave. WOW. Very cool. Also the Corvette Museum is a must-see in the area. I've been there a few times. Very pretty there. Good luck!

Old 12-27-2015, 09:34 PM

912 posts, read 1,351,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlc74 View Post
I have a question for the locals - how is the travel between Glasgow and Bowling Green? Anybody know? Google Maps shows the Cumberland Pkwy route is about a 42.5 mile distance between the cities. Is there a better route to take that would provide a shorter distance, less traffic or safer conditions? If we relocate to Glasgow, I'm a little worried about my daughter traveling that distance every day. She currently drives an Expedition and it might take us another year to get a small car for her to save on gas. And we are not familiar with snow/ice driving...anybody familiar with this stretch between Glasgow and BG?

I've really narrowed my research and it seems as if BG may have everything we need (school, work) but living there might be a different story. BG may be a little too big.

I-65 and Cumberland Parkway, is the quickest easiest and safest way I have found. Those two will be taken care of first, being the #1 priority for snow and ice removal. That's not to say they will not be snow covered from time to time during periods of heavy snow but, it shouldn't last long.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:41 PM

Makes sense. I didn't think about main interstates getting cleared first before other roads. I'm coming from a place that receives zero snow so it's the little things like that that I just don't know much about. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or