U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 03:01 PM

92 posts, read 129,359 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I might be moving to KY in 2016 from Northern Virginia. I will probably only live there for 10 years then retire and move to Florida.

Which area...Lexington or Louisville to homes have the most resale value? Which areas are homes at least going to hold their value :] I'm looking at homes in the $300k-$400k range.

Or would it be specific areas within each city?

Thank you for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 06:43 AM

10,471 posts, read 21,969,796 times
Around these parts that's very high end. You can spend more for the most elite properties. Based on your posts asking about Georgetown and golfing neighborhoods I'm assuming you want suburban style, not urban. There shouldn't be much resale difference in either metro. In general our real estate does get bubble highs and also doesn't tank. In Louisville you'd focus on the NE area along and outside of I-265 into Oldham and Shelby Counties. In Lexington you'd look south along Man O' War, subdivisions like Firebrook or Hartland come to mind. There are also high end subdivisions in surrounding counties, especially Scott, Woodford, Madison, and Jessamine.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Around these parts that's very high end. You can spend more for the most elite properties. Based on your posts asking about Georgetown and golfing neighborhoods I'm assuming you want suburban style, not urban. There shouldn't be much resale difference in either metro. In general our real estate does get bubble highs and also doesn't tank. In Louisville you'd focus on the NE area along and outside of I-265 into Oldham and Shelby Counties. In Lexington you'd look south along Man O' War, subdivisions like Firebrook or Hartland come to mind. There are also high end subdivisions in surrounding counties, especially Scott, Woodford, Madison, and Jessamine.

Censusdata - You are correct, we would rather be in more of a suburb area than urban in the middle of the city.

Is I-265 in Louisville like an outside ring of the city? Are the more newer homes outside I-265?

Thank you.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
In general our real estate does get bubble highs and also doesn't tank.
Interesting. I guess the last two areas (Florida and Northern Virginia) have had big bubbles and tanks. Lucky for me both are bouncing back

Old 12-29-2015, 06:54 PM

10,471 posts, read 21,969,796 times
Yes, I-265 is the outer beltline. You should focus along and outside I-265 north of I-64 both in Louisville / Jefferson Co into Oldham and Shelby counties. There are lots of high end new subdivisions. How new are you wanting?

Old 01-15-2016, 06:57 PM

6,833 posts, read 14,427,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_George View Post
Hello,

I might be moving to KY in 2016 from Northern Virginia. I will probably only live there for 10 years then retire and move to Florida.

Which area...Lexington or Louisville to homes have the most resale value? Which areas are homes at least going to hold their value :] I'm looking at homes in the $300k-$400k range.

Or would it be specific areas within each city?

Thank you for any advice!
Definitely Louisville...a much bigger city than Lex, but not TOO big. Very stellar housing market and coming up.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:49 PM

11,002 posts, read 9,242,307 times
Both cities have houses which hold their values well. And yes, certain neighborhoods do better than others, in both cases.

I'd suggest a spring or early summer visit to Kentucky, and spending time in each city, to see which you prefer. Both are great places to live and each has its own character, although naturally there are some similarities, as both are Kentucky cities, less than 80 miles apart.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Both cities have houses which hold their values well. And yes, certain neighborhoods do better than others, in both cases.

I'd suggest a spring or early summer visit to Kentucky, and spending time in each city, to see which you prefer. Both are great places to live and each has its own character, although naturally there are some similarities, as both are Kentucky cities, less than 80 miles apart.
Lexington is a nice town with a lot going on for its size...feel more like a small old village attached to a university, though. Louisville feels and acts more metropolitan.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:29 AM

11,002 posts, read 9,242,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Lexington is a nice town with a lot going on for its size...feel more like a small old village attached to a university, though. Louisville feels and acts more metropolitan.
How long has it been since you've spent much time in Lexington? While parts of it have a "village" flavor, and it's definitely older than Louisville, having been founded in 1775, I'd hardly describe a university city of close to 300,000 people as a "small old village". Yes, Louisville is larger and more metropolitan - but that doesn't make Lexington a "village"!

As noted in my previous post, both cities have much to commend them, and I'd strongly recommend that the OP visit Kentucky in the spring (not Derby Week - too crazy and hectic in Louisville then) and check them both out in person.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
How long has it been since you've spent much time in Lexington? While parts of it have a "village" flavor, and it's definitely older than Louisville, having been founded in 1775, I'd hardly describe a university city of close to 300,000 people as a "small old village". Yes, Louisville is larger and more metropolitan - but that doesn't make Lexington a "village"!

As noted in my previous post, both cities have much to commend them, and I'd strongly recommend that the OP visit Kentucky in the spring (not Derby Week - too crazy and hectic in Louisville then) and check them both out in person.
I was in Lexington last week. Basically walked across the entire urban core.

Had brews at west 6th, country boy, hopcat, pies and pints.

Had a less than stellar meal at portofino.

It is a village, and I do not mean that in a negative way as Lexington preserved more history than Louisville....the only area that seems like a city city is maybe chevy chase, but this is a VERY small area. Lexington has a lot to like...but urbanity is not one of them.

I have been meaning to ask...what is the deal with CentrePointe? There have been tower cranes up for well over a year, and not a soul on the site whenever I visit. I used to stay at the Marriot, but typically stay at the Hilton downtown now so I can walk to things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or