Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 04:59 PM

104 posts, read 450,946 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Hello Kentucky,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] I will be leaving the military in about a year, I’m from Georgia but I’m thinking about maybe moving to another state. I have done a lot of research on Kentucky, but would like to know what the residents think. What are some good places (cities) to live? Things like crime, schools, economy, state taxes, cost of living, are all important but a couple of things I’m looking for as well is “hospitality”, a sense of neighbor hood, and politeness. I’m looking for a place that has community events (festivals, parades, carnivals, fairs, concerts), with beautiful scenery, hunting, and fishing. I’m currently in the US Army serving in Iraq, I built power lines before I joined and I’m a (25L) Signal Corp Telecommunications Lineman inside the Army. I will be looking for work in the power lineman or telecommunications field when I separate from the military. My wife is a Registered Nurse (RN) and will be looking for a job as well. So any info on power companies, telephone companies, and hospitals in those areas would be greatly appreciated. Best place to raise a family? So what’s your states “Mayberry”? [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 07:21 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,257,020 times
There are many wonderful places to settle in Kentucky! There are plenty of jobs for people who have skills such as you describe.

I grew up in Western Kentucky (McLean, Daviess, Henderson, Union County areas.)
I lived in Crescent Hill area of Louisville for 12 years, home in Oldham County last six. I have traveled nearly every road west of I-65 and Oldham County too. So, where's the best? Well, Oldham is undoubledly a 10, with Henderson right behind. I love Oldham's "got everything" that a big town has, but without the big issues that big cities often have.

Oldham needs nurses! There is a major regional hospital in LaGrange, plus a new full service hospital at I-71 & I-265, as well as two surgical centers along the Gene Snyder (I-265) under construction. e-on US, through its subsidiaries LG&E & KU serve all of Jefferson County and many of the adjoining counties's electrical needs, and there are several rural electric co-op's too.

Educationally, Oldham County has few peers for public education nationwide for an overall consistant high quality system.

Transportation wise, I-71 makes for easy connection to either the Louisville International Airport which has the lowest average fares and lots of connections to all the hot-points of the US. Then a short 90 minute ride to Cincinnati International will provide connections to Europe and the rest of the world.

If not Oldham, then I would head for Henderson. "Always on the river, but never in it", Henderson sits high on a bluff over the Ohio in a rural area with lots of room to grow a good kid. Several high quality medical centers in the Henderson, Evansville market too.

I hope this helps.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:51 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,330,482 times
If you want to be in a quaint small town but near larger cities, I would recommend just about anything btw Louisville and Lexington fits the bill. Shelbyville, Frankfort, and Versailles are great to name just a few.

As for major festivals in that region of the state....

well, there is a whole series of festivals related to the Kentucky Derby including Thunder over Louisville (world's largest annual fireworks show), steamboat and hot air balloon races, and a huge parade through Downtown LOUKY. There's also the Brass Brand Festival in Danville, the St James Art Show in Louisville (largest outdoor art show in the US), and the Berea Arts and Crafts Festival. The state fair is held in Louisville, too.

Louisville has a lot of concerts, as does Lexington and Cincinnati.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:42 PM

149 posts, read 761,890 times
On post at Ft.Knox bldg 1109 provides job placement for both military and civilians, combined state and federal employment offices in one place. That would be your best access point for telecommunications work at civilian sector inside Kentucky. Your wife the RN can probly write her own ticket anywhere but it'll be one stop shopping with both of you starting from Radcliff/Ft.Knox. Naturally they give prefererential treatment with referrals and listings exclusive to former military, as it oughta be. Yet they also serve civilians at state employment office from the same desk. I was there as former DOD subcontractor seeking federal work in warehousing and shipping on post. Retired Marine was my job placement counselor.

Same as everything here, i think you've gotta be here to find best opportunities. Long distance research wont help much. Practically nobody hires from outa state. And statewide employment databases at Ft.Knox for work at Kentucky is probly not accessible from Ft.Benning.

Radcliff/Ft.Knox is generally less than an hour from Louisville bordering towns mentioned by Tom and CD. If it was me I'd explore employment, housing loans etc opportunities from there. Just pack the wife and wagon, scarf temporary month to month rental at $350 and start from there. Sounds risky - but thats what I'd do.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:45 AM

6,749 posts, read 21,995,087 times
If I was to move away from here I would look into the E-town area myself.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
If I was to move away from here I would look into the E-town area myself.
Whats "E-town"?

Old 02-11-2008, 07:50 PM

I'm sorry, it's Elizabethtown

Old 02-11-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I'm sorry, it's Elizabethtown
OOOooooo...LOL, thanks

Old 02-12-2008, 07:54 AM

Elizabethtown is in the same general area as Radcliff/Ft Knox.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:59 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,112,087 times
You might want to check out Bowling Green. It is in the very most southern part of the state about an hour from Nashville. It is a growing, college town with a lot of job opportunites. The economy in this part of the state has remained very good. There are two large hospitals in Bowling Green that are always hiring RN's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky