Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 07:08 PM

276 posts, read 446,213 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone lives in or around Pendleton County. If so, how would you describe it? It appears to be a rural location with lots of farms. I am doing some preliminary research and this seems like a nice location. It is in proximity to the Cincinnati area where I could work, but is still rural and relatively inexpensive. I'm married with two young kids so we'd eventually like to get a place with a 10-15 acres and it seems like land is in abundance there. I like hunting and fishing and generally being outdoors, so I'd be interested to see that perspective as well.

Can anyone speak to Falmouth and the surrounding areas? Any complaints or pointers? We plan to make a visit to the area before moving of course, so any recommended areas or bbq joints would be appreciated

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 08:37 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,330,482 times
My sister used to live near Butler in Peach Grove. Falmouth and Butler ok but have an older river town feel. Not a lot of shopping but lots of countryside. Topography is short but steep hills. Tons of wildlife

Old 07-15-2015, 12:23 PM

53 posts, read 126,967 times
I own property in Bracken County (the next county over going east). When I was looking for my place in the country (40 acres) I started in Pendleton but chose Bracken. It is a little less developed and less populated with what seems like more working farms. The per acre price was also cheaper. Depending on work location - both counties are in driving distance of NKY/Cincinnati but pushing it for my taste.

I can't speak to the quality of the schools. People seem friendly enough - just normal country folks.

Falmouth is in Pendleton County but is the closet town to my place. It has most of the basics but nothing more. It appears a little rough around the edges but I've never had any issues - from what I understand there was a real bad flood (1997?) and it hasn't really recovered.

The land can be very hilly - with long ridges. My recommendation is if your looking for land - look in the winter, so you can get of better idea of exactly what your buying. Lots of deer and turkey - the hunting can be very good.

The only issue I have run into is getting anything done. Starting with buying the place, realtors don't want to show you anything first. They give you the location and you go look at it - then and only then will they spend any time with you. Same with getting a water line run, electric put in, plumbing etc.... it's just hard to find anyone wanting to take your money.......

Let me know it you have any more questions, I can try to help.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:58 PM

175 posts, read 258,684 times
We bought 57 acres in McCreary county. That's south close to the Tennessee border. I had to laugh at your post when you Had a hard time getting things done. We ran into that too! We just took as a " laid back why hurry " approach to life. Here in Utah it's so face paced it's hard to keep up.... and most times we don't. Even when we call people about utilities or whatever it's just so relaxed and laid back. Oh so and so won't be in until tomorrow or the next day! We kinda like it.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw366 View Post
I own property in Bracken County (the next county over going east). When I was looking for my place in the country (40 acres) I started in Pendleton but chose Bracken. It is a little less developed and less populated with what seems like more working farms. The per acre price was also cheaper. Depending on work location - both counties are in driving distance of NKY/Cincinnati but pushing it for my taste.

I can't speak to the quality of the schools. People seem friendly enough - just normal country folks.

Falmouth is in Pendleton County but is the closet town to my place. It has most of the basics but nothing more. It appears a little rough around the edges but I've never had any issues - from what I understand there was a real bad flood (1997?) and it hasn't really recovered.

The land can be very hilly - with long ridges. My recommendation is if your looking for land - look in the winter, so you can get of better idea of exactly what your buying. Lots of deer and turkey - the hunting can be very good.

The only issue I have run into is getting anything done. Starting with buying the place, realtors don't want to show you anything first. They give you the location and you go look at it - then and only then will they spend any time with you. Same with getting a water line run, electric put in, plumbing etc.... it's just hard to find anyone wanting to take your money.......

Let me know it you have any more questions, I can try to help.
Bracken seems like a nice county too, and the more rural the better. My goal is to set a max commute of 45 mins (job is in Covington), and that may be hard to do in Bracken County. But hey - who says we can't own land in multiple spots?

We'll probably home school the kiddos but that will be a few years off.

I've been spending some time on Google Maps and have to say, the rolling hills and fields are beautiful. Our visit should be this November which I expect will be a nice time to see the area.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:01 AM

536 posts, read 953,283 times
I'm in Grant county, right next to Pendleton county. Williamstown is the line, and going on the back roads you are in Pendleton county. Falmouth is subject to flooding. There is a Wool festival there every summer (or sometime?). It's mostly county rural. Rolling hills, pasture. Some steep hills. I have not been to down town Falmouth, so don't know much about the actually town, just the county area. I've been to the lake out there. You can travel back country roads out this way, and cross over a couple county lines and not realize it. Most the topography is about the same.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:57 AM

53 posts, read 126,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge1 View Post
Bracken seems like a nice county too, and the more rural the better. My goal is to set a max commute of 45 mins (job is in Covington), and that may be hard to do in Bracken County. But hey - who says we can't own land in multiple spots?

We'll probably home school the kiddos but that will be a few years off.

I've been spending some time on Google Maps and have to say, the rolling hills and fields are beautiful. Our visit should be this November which I expect will be a nice time to see the area.
45 minutes would be pushing it to Covington from Bracken County (but that would depend where at in Covington and where your property is...). The easiest two ways to go is 27 south or the AA Highway.

November would be a great time to look for property as the wood lines in some very rural parts of either county can be very dense in the summer months and can mask how steep the hills are and any "unattractive" views.

When looking for farms/land in either county it seems that one Realtor controls most of the market for that county - so just be prepared for that.

Kind of a funny thing I've noticed, is that a lot of people will refer to being from or living in a county as opposed to the closest town ( I live in Bracken County instead of saying Brooksville).

Good Luck on your move and land search!

Old 08-26-2015, 02:05 PM

20 posts, read 26,649 times
I do not know much about Pendleton County, but I do know it would take you at least an hour to get to Covington from Falmouth during normal rush hour times. It isn't worth it to me.
If you want to be in Pendleton County, then I would suggest Butler. 40-50 minutes from Covington and 11 miles closer than Falmouth to amenities in Campbell Counties.

There are many other beautiful rural areas close to your job. Verona (Boone County; off of I-71); Piner (Kenton County; along KY-17/Madison Pike; south of Independence); Alexandria/Claryville (Campbell County; along US-27). All of those locations are about 40 minutes from Covington.

I've been to A.J. Jolly Park in Campbell County and I loved the drive down US-27. If you're visiting Falmouth, then you will drive through Campbell County.

It depends on your preferences. I liked the area around A.J. Jolly because it felt very rural, open, slow-paced, yet accessible to the city when I need or want it. If you want a farm, then you have plenty of options there.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:06 PM

I will definitely have to do some "test run" drives to and from work and a potential home, because I wouldn't want to commute an hour either. For now I'll have to stick with google maps

Old 11-15-2015, 11:07 AM

Just as an update, we have re-scheduled our visit for May of 2016 to give ourselves a bit more time to research and save $$$. If we do this, we want to do it right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky