Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 09:39 PM

25 posts, read 50,840 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
There is a possibility that I may be moving to KY to work at KSU. I would be coming from Northern Virginia, a suburb of Washington, DC. I know its a pretty small town, but I am really interested in having a bit of a life. I'm single, early 40s, with a soon to be college student of my own, so schools aren't necessarily an issue. My preference would be for either a downtown area of something by the water.

-Where you are working? MAYBE KSU
-How much you are willing to spend on housing? Probably no more than $1500
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate? 20 minutes
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? Not an issue.
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? I'm really open here. Im just looking for a place with decent restaurants, maybe a few lounges, some cultural stuff (hopefully a small Caribbean community).
-Community amenities important to you? Walkability would be nice, but I know thats not usually the case down South.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 06:14 AM

7,243 posts, read 7,064,876 times
Small town living is Frankfort for sure. I don't recommend living on the river due to flooding. $1500 can do you nicely. Not sure about Caribbean population. Night life exists but on a small town scale. Lexington is not far away for more options, Louisville a bit further but doable.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:49 AM

38 posts, read 65,167 times
Frankfort is a great small town for sure and it has plenty of restaurants with Lexington and Louisville close by for a myriad more entertainment options. It being the state capital and, to a lesser degree, the presence of KSU gives it a more cosmopolitan feel than most other Kentucky towns of its size, but that's all relative.

Living in Lexington may be a better bet for you, though, if you can tolerate a 45-minute or so commute to KSU. There will be a lot more cultural diversity there, and even more in Louisville, but you're talking about an hour-ish commute there. I do know that Lexington has at least one or two Carribbean restaurants and I am going to guess that there would be a small community of folks there. Frankfort, I doubt it.

If you do want to think about living in Lexington and want a suburban-type lifestyle, you can shave some time off your commute by looking at the northwest area of town around Masterson Station. I know some folks who live in these neighborhoods and drive to Frankfort and it definitely helps their commute, probably cuts it down to 30 minutes or so. Lexington traffic is awful, but from Masterson on in to Frankfort is pretty much just beautiful horse farms.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:34 AM

38 posts, read 65,167 times
I should add that, as far as walkability goes, I'm not sure there are a lot of good options for you. Downtown Frankfort may be walkable to a degree, but I'm not sure if there is a grocery store, and there are not many options in terms of restaurants, etc., down there. I think it is pretty dead outside of the 8-5 weekday...

The only truly walkable area of Lexington is Downtown/Chevy Chase and that will be pricey, but I'd guess that your budget would allow for the possibility of an apartment or condo in your price range there, probably not a single family home. Living there is going to increase your commute times to KSU well into the 45-minute to an hour range I would think, but would be worth a look if this is truly the type of environment you want.

The best walkable neighborhoods in Kentucky are in the urban parts of Louisville, but commuting to KSU from those areas would be a tall task.

Also, as someone else said, living on the water is, unfortunately, not a very practical option in central Kentucky for most people. Flooding is an issue on the Kentucky River unless you are up on the Palisades (very high cliffs overlooking the river), and for whatever reason, it doesn't seem like there are many homes built there.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:59 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,732,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneagle View Post
I should add that, as far as walkability goes, I'm not sure there are a lot of good options for you. Downtown Frankfort may be walkable to a degree, but I'm not sure if there is a grocery store, and there are not many options in terms of restaurants, etc., down there. I think it is pretty dead outside of the 8-5 weekday...

The only truly walkable area of Lexington is Downtown/Chevy Chase and that will be pricey, but I'd guess that your budget would allow for the possibility of an apartment or condo in your price range there, probably not a single family home. Living there is going to increase your commute times to KSU well into the 45-minute to an hour range I would think, but would be worth a look if this is truly the type of environment you want.

The best walkable neighborhoods in Kentucky are in the urban parts of Louisville, but commuting to KSU from those areas would be a tall task.

Also, as someone else said, living on the water is, unfortunately, not a very practical option in central Kentucky for most people. Flooding is an issue on the Kentucky River unless you are up on the Palisades (very high cliffs overlooking the river), and for whatever reason, it doesn't seem like there are many homes built there.
Not sure it would be a tall task. But would be a hike. only Louisville will have what you need of urban walkability in KY. There are urban hoods within 45 mins of Frankfort.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:35 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,656,926 times
I work with a women who does Frankfort to Louisville every day and says its no big deal. I think its harder/more frustrating to get some places in Louisville due to traffic, than Frankfort. I was at a brunch in the Govs Mansion and fell in love with Frankfort. I can see why people like it. But Im not sure it could sustain someone who seeks lots of diverging activities.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I work with a women who does Frankfort to Louisville every day and says its no big deal. I think its harder/more frustrating to get some places in Louisville due to traffic, than Frankfort. I was at a brunch in the Govs Mansion and fell in love with Frankfort. I can see why people like it. But Im not sure it could sustain someone who seeks lots of diverging activities.
The Louisville suburb of Simpsonville is only 30 miles from downtown Frankfort. A VERY easy 30 minute, all freeway drive that is virtually guaranteed to never have traffic. This is a compromise because its near a great outlet mall, 15 minutes to some great Louisville suburbs, and 30 minutes from all the coolest urban neighborhoods in KY (take your pick of the above mentioned in Louisville):

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fran...349!2d38.22257

If you wanted more urban, look into "downtown" St Matthews:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fran...009055!1m0!3e0

This area is surprisingly walkable, has some great cafes and restaurants, and is only 48 miles to Frankfort.

Of course, the most urban area of Ky is likely the lower Highlands, and also Clifton, Crescent Hill, Nulu, and parts of downtown, Old Louisville, and Butchertown. But downtown St matthews is a very safe and nice area that still retains great restaurants, walkability, and easy freeway access for a 45 min easy ride out to Frankfort.

Lexington? I dunno. I still cannot get past the fact that it is just a college town. The only really walkable area is Chevy Chase and Downtown and it is overpriced honestly. You are still looking at over 40-45 mins to Frankfort from that area because there is no easy freeway access and the roads just aren't as good as Louisville.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fran...5!2d38.0200701

Less miles technically, but EASILY just as long as getting to Frankfort from downtown ST Matthews because Lexington Rds are a CLUSTER (no true beltway or freeway system in town).

Old 05-24-2015, 11:28 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,656,926 times
Ive been to/through Lexington many times and there is nothing there I would ever find appealing enough to move for, especially since living in the Highlands. I would take Frankfort over Lexington any day. I cant see leaving the Highlands/Crescent Hill for a while, even though we are definitely downsizing for retirement. Someone posted a British traffic study earlier, that used Lexington as an A-Z primer on how NOT to build-out a city. So its reputation is far and wide as a bad traffic area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
The Louisville suburb of Simpsonville is only 30 miles from downtown Frankfort. A VERY easy 30 minute, all freeway drive that is virtually guaranteed to never have traffic. This is a compromise because its near a great outlet mall, 15 minutes to some great Louisville suburbs, and 30 minutes from all the coolest urban neighborhoods in KY (take your pick of the above mentioned in Louisville):

This area is surprisingly walkable, has some great cafes and restaurants, and is only 48 miles to Frankfort.

Of course, the most urban area of Ky is likely the lower Highlands, and also Clifton, Crescent Hill, Nulu, and parts of downtown, Old Louisville, and Butchertown. But downtown St matthews is a very safe and nice area that still retains great restaurants, walkability, and easy freeway access for a 45 min easy ride out to Frankfort.

Lexington? I dunno. I still cannot get past the fact that it is just a college town. T

Old 05-25-2015, 11:24 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,460,386 times
I've found Frankfort to be an enigma. It has most of what young prof's want out of a place - good job market, older neighborhoods, good park system, a couple nice attractions (big fan of Salato Wildlife Center and KY history museum); but it has yet to be anything but a working class river town. It has lots of jobs but so few people live there that it creates growth in surrounding counties instead.

Re Lexington... it is a fairly new city (in terms of population pre WW2, yes it was bigger than Louisville or Cincinnati in 1800) and has fewer older areas. A lot of the walkable areas are mostly college students but the OP should still give North Lexington a look. It's more walkable than Chevy Chase and more affordable. Just saw along of south of Transylvania Univ. North of there is a bad area but Lexington standards (couple murders / shootings per year, it's paradise compared to most big city hoods). 2nd, 3rd St and Gratz Park area is mostly large Victorian homes subdivided into apartments and it's not overran by college students. It's walking distance to downtown which has a good number of restaurants and a large farmers market.

The best urban areas in Louisville are along I-64 between St Matthews and Downtown. That's about a 50 miles commute that would only have occasional backups inside I-265.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I've found Frankfort to be an enigma. It has most of what young prof's want out of a place - good job market, older neighborhoods, good park system, a couple nice attractions (big fan of Salato Wildlife Center and KY history museum); but it has yet to be anything but a working class river town. It has lots of jobs but so few people live there that it creates growth in surrounding counties instead.

Re Lexington... it is a fairly new city (in terms of population pre WW2, yes it was bigger than Louisville or Cincinnati in 1800) and has fewer older areas. A lot of the walkable areas are mostly college students but the OP should still give North Lexington a look. It's more walkable than Chevy Chase and more affordable. Just saw along of south of Transylvania Univ. North of there is a bad area but Lexington standards (couple murders / shootings per year, it's paradise compared to most big city hoods). 2nd, 3rd St and Gratz Park area is mostly large Victorian homes subdivided into apartments and it's not overran by college students. It's walking distance to downtown which has a good number of restaurants and a large farmers market.

The best urban areas in Louisville are along I-64 between St Matthews and Downtown. That's about a 50 miles commute that would only have occasional backups inside I-265.
I am not how you can bill North Lexington as walkable when the same folks post here that Old Louisville is not walkable. North Lexington is similar to Old louisville except it is 1/3 the size with less then 1/3 of the restaurants/corner stores. Yet Old Louisiville is constantly lambasted for its lack of retail.

One thing about Lexington is that being a smaller town, they really were able to preserve a lot of architecture...you won't find the massive surface parking lots replacing historic structures like you do in Louisville.

That said, North Lexington has a LOOOOONG way to go.

The OP has 3 options....live in Frankfort and live locally. Live in the Highlands, Clifton, St Matthews, or Crescent Hill, and live in the primere urban neighborhoods and have a 45 min all free way commute...

Or , live in Chevy Chase in Lexington, in a beautiful area mind you, but one that is only semi walkable and would rival the walkability of maybe a 10th place urban neighborhood in Louisville ( Beechmont? Audubon Park?). Chevy Chase is still 45 mins to Frankfort too and you must deal with more local, congested Lexington roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky