U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 02:49 AM

4 posts, read 3,293 times

Advertisements

hello, I am asking for some sort of direction on where to move in the kentucky area. My husband and I have a 5 yr old daughter so great education is a must. We have been looking in the mount washington area. from what we can research the schools there are great and the crime rate is low, True? can anyone please give us any more info on great places to live or where. how are taxes in kentucky? how is the weather there? we know tornados are high risk, that scares me personally. is home owners insurance high due to the risk factors? The jobs seem to be stable and large there, true? lots of employment within the area? how are the communities? friendly? We would also need a YMCA for care before and after school Are they safe affordable within any good location to live? Child care is also a major concern, to get our daughter to school and care for her after. she'll be starting kindergarten this fall. We are moving from Erie,Pa, any suggestions or info would be so much greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 08:01 PM

10,381 posts, read 21,918,028 times
Tornado risk is actually not much higher than what Cleveland has, the region has a tornado "outbreak" maybe once a decade and a tiny percent of people are effected. The last outbreaks were in 2012, 1991, and 1974. Strong winds and occasional hail are the main issues but nothing scary. Our daily highs are about 10 degrees warmer, we get a bit more snow and quite a bit less snow although we still average 18 inches of annual snow.

If you're focusing on Mt Washington I assume you are looking at the Louisville region. Are you looking for a place and then a job or doing you have a job lined up somewhere? Taxes in KY would be a decent amount lower than in PA. Crime is pretty concentrated in the western part of Louisville, most of the eastern suburbs and surrounding counties are nearly crime free.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:54 PM

8,351 posts, read 4,645,776 times
I think you may be overestimating the tornado thing....while they do and have occurred here -it's not really likely you would be affected by a tornado. I have been here for decades and never been in a real tornado...there have been tornado watches and even occasionally a tornado warning. If you are really worried about it, search for a place with a basement and steer clear of mobile homes.

If you research it, we are midway on the states as far as likelihood of a tornado touch down.
(Sometimes tornado's fly by without really ever touching ground).

The Disaster Center Risk of Tornado by State

https://weather.com/storms/tornado/n...s-of-being-hit

There are a lot of great places in Kentucky where you would find great schools plus low crime rates.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Where you looking for a city or a town? A big or small one?

Kentucky generally rates pretty low on crime, we are a pretty rural state. Unemployment in many areas
is very low (but think the cities like Louisville, Lexington, Towns Outside of Cincinnati....) A lot of unemployment though in the coal mining industry around the Mountains.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/mort...oung-families/

Lexington scores well on the educational front, it has been listed as one of the top cities in the US for
Literacy rates, and has one of the most educated citizenry in the country.

25 Most Literate U.S. Cities For 2012

The Most and Least Educated Cities in America: Men's Health.com

Lexington came in 6th place as far as Best places in America to raise children...

The 100 best places to raise kids - TODAY.com

And one of the top ten cities as far as quality of life.

The 10 Cities With The Highest Quality Of Life

Louisville and the surrounding area can boast a lot of these lists also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puy5...feature=relmfu

Last edited by Yac; 05-25-2016 at 06:13 AM..

Old 05-03-2016, 03:31 AM

thank you so much, it does seem to be absolutly beautiful there in most parts. My husband has job offer but of course I will need to find employment. Our daughter is our number 1 concern, her education and safety is the most important. My husband is a country boy all the way, so an area out of the city is where we'd like to be. so many different parts. What we need is to find good school for our daughter a ymca to transport her to and from school being that he and I will both be working and a safe enviroment that also travel time for job and ymca is all within a good location to live. kinda difficult to get all those things together. We have the same thing here in Erie,pa.but Erie has died down and alot of the jobs are moving out, just terrible.It is just the 3 of us no family around here either so makes it difficult for school when it comes to our daughter. The tornado's,well,,,,, definately scary however I did look up the links, thank you so much, Not bad at all. you are definately right. We would like to be moved before she starts kindergarten in august. any other area's other than mount washington we also was looking at taylorsville or shepardsville. Thank you soo much for the infomation, it is greatly appreciated!

Old 05-03-2016, 06:11 AM

6,832 posts, read 14,398,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeeshannon View Post
thank you so much, it does seem to be absolutly beautiful there in most parts. My husband has job offer but of course I will need to find employment. Our daughter is our number 1 concern, her education and safety is the most important. My husband is a country boy all the way, so an area out of the city is where we'd like to be. so many different parts. What we need is to find good school for our daughter a ymca to transport her to and from school being that he and I will both be working and a safe enviroment that also travel time for job and ymca is all within a good location to live. kinda difficult to get all those things together. We have the same thing here in Erie,pa.but Erie has died down and alot of the jobs are moving out, just terrible.It is just the 3 of us no family around here either so makes it difficult for school when it comes to our daughter. The tornado's,well,,,,, definately scary however I did look up the links, thank you so much, Not bad at all. you are definately right. We would like to be moved before she starts kindergarten in august. any other area's other than mount washington we also was looking at taylorsville or shepardsville. Thank you soo much for the infomation, it is greatly appreciated!
All three cities you are looking at are suburbs of Louisville.

I would actually recommend looking along I71 in Oldham County, from Crestwood, Buckner, and Peewee Valley to La Grange. Also the US 42 corridor from Prospect to Goshen.

The reasons for Oldham County are:

1 The best school district in the state of KY
2 probably the hottest real esate in the state, and one of the top 5-10 fastest growing counties, consistently
3 closer to the best shopping in Louisville
4 more of a Midwestern vibe, but also some southern charm, so less of a culture shock from erie
5 about 45 mins closer to erie so you can visit family or friends in PA in a quick 6 hour drive.
6 midway between 2 great airports, Cincinnati and Louisville.

But Shepherdsville and Mt Washington are great exurbs to Louisville, and also have good growth, jobs, and also schools. Taylorsville I have only been to once, but I think it is a beautiful lake town, and it feels more "separated" from Louisville, even though it is a bedroom community to the city.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:15 AM

10,381 posts, read 21,918,028 times
Most transplants from the Great Lakes region settle in Oldham Co or the adjacent part of NE Louisville. Bullitt County is nice, most people there moved from Louisville or rural Kentucky, not nearly as many transplants. OC has the best schools in the state and there is a YMCA there and 4 other ones in NE Louisville.

Weatherwise we are about 8 degrees warmer than Erie but we get way less snow, 13 inches a year rather than 100. We are probably a lot worse for allergies.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:04 PM

wow!!! thats great to hear, my husband has look into that, We cannont thank you enough!!!!!!!!!!! that is a wonderful county. we are looking there, thank you so so so much! greatly appreciately, Wehave found the area! thank you thank you thank you! Oldham co that is!

Old 05-03-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
wow!!! thats great to hear, my husband has look into that, We cannont thank you enough!!!!!!!!!!! that is a wonderful county. we are looking there, thank you so so so much! greatly appreciately, Wehave found the area! thank you thank you thank you! Oldham co that is!
You will meet a TON of Transplants from NE OH and NW PA. My neighborhood is chock full of plates from there.

Louisville receives more domestic in migration from Cleveland than anywhere in the US, and I assume Erie is in that grouping. It's just so much nicer all around down here. My wife has family in Berea and also Mentor OH, and while I love boating on Lake Erie, the weather, crime, and decline of the area is hard to escape. Good luck!

Old 05-05-2016, 03:39 AM

we are so excited!, Thank all of you so much for the info and help It has been greatly greatly appreciated.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
we are so excited!, Thank all of you so much for the info and help It has been greatly greatly appreciated.
Let us know how else we may help in your transition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or