Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 06:48 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
i think for the part of kentucky that jesse stuart was from (along the ohio river in the northeast corner of the state) that could be true.

as for the state as a whole, i disagree. the state clearly is southeastern (although it was initially a western fronteir state)
Yes but, do you agree that it can be called the lungs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 07:11 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Yes but, do you agree that it can be called the lungs?
its hard to say what organ KY would be, definitely not the heart though. kentucky has never been part of mainstream america, and i doubt if it ever will. you cant call kentucky the heart or the lungs really, as the country could easily survive without it. kentucky has always had huge emphasis on rurality and small farms, simple man living off the land (and not being too wealthy doing it), one of the few states to actually embody the self sustaining farmer (with the aid of burley tobacco). kentucky is where people would rather commute an hour to work at the waffle house rather than move to the city its in because they dont want to give up having their own land in the country. kentucky is not america's heart, most of america wants nothing to do with it and could easily exist without it.

is there an organ that the rest of body overlooks, that has been left behind yet doesnt care because it likes doing things the old fashioned way? perhaps kentucky is the tonsils of america. i dont know, im not much of a poet.

Last edited by JimmyJohnWilson; 12-08-2010 at 08:20 PM..

Old 12-09-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
its hard to say what organ KY would be, definitely not the heart though. kentucky has never been part of mainstream america, and i doubt if it ever will. you cant call kentucky the heart or the lungs really, as the country could easily survive without it. kentucky has always had huge emphasis on rurality and small farms, simple man living off the land (and not being too wealthy doing it), one of the few states to actually embody the self sustaining farmer (with the aid of burley tobacco). kentucky is where people would rather commute an hour to work at the waffle house rather than move to the city its in because they dont want to give up having their own land in the country. kentucky is not america's heart, most of america wants nothing to do with it and could easily exist without it.

is there an organ that the rest of body overlooks, that has been left behind yet doesnt care because it likes doing things the old fashioned way? perhaps kentucky is the tonsils of america. i dont know, im not much of a poet.
The tonsils. XD A good one I must say.

I don't know. I've always loved Kentucky. I'd miss it something terrible.

I guess to me it's like... the irreplaceable keepsake of America?

Old 12-13-2010, 03:00 AM

12 posts, read 40,266 times
I agree with the orginal poster on this. I feel like Kentucky is more southerner than midwest. Mainly because of the attitudes, culture, and dialect...

Old 01-05-2011, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,608 times
As someone who runs an arboretum in Kentucky, I think its comical regarding the plant species of Western KY argument to make KY southern. Bald Cypress swamps occur in extreme Western KY and up into extreme southern IL. So? Bald Cypress grows perfectly well solidly into zone 4 (-20 to -30F) winters, and the vast majority of Kentucky does not have cypress swamps.

What about northern species that grow throughout KY and almost dissappear as soon as you get close to or cross the TN state line? Bigtooth Aspen grows in scattered groves throughout the state from about 1-65 eastward, and most of the species in our state grow both in the "north and south". You can have big, beautiful spruces, fir, or larch thriving right next to extra cold hardy selections of southern magnolia.

The recent warm weather cycle that we have had over the last decade has made people relax. Lets not forget that we set and all time state record low of -37F in January 1994 in Shelbyville, KY. The previous record was -34F from 1963. We were -20F or colder in 1989, 1985, 1978, 77..... and many other years prior. Ask yourself how southern those numbers are, and how southern it was when the entire northern half of KY had 30" or more snow this past year.

Southern summers without a doubt, northern winters without question. KY is neither northern or southern, its right in the middle and always will be a place where everything clashes.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:29 PM

10 posts, read 17,029 times
Kentucky is a border state. Similar to Missouri in that it shares both attributes of the north as well as the south. I think they identify more with the south, but in truth... Kentucky is a hybrid.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:46 AM

6 posts, read 10,390 times
Kentucky is in the South. As a matter of fact, Southern Indiana, Southern Illinois and the lower half of Missouri are Southern, as well.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:03 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,527 times
undoubtedly the south. though the Kentucky burbs of Cincy are a de facto part of Ohio, though it's debatable whether Cincy itself is southern or midwestern.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letrfly View Post
Kentucky is in the South. As a matter of fact, Southern Indiana, Southern Illinois and the lower half of Missouri are Southern, as well.
Lower Missouri yes.

Indiana and Illinois? No. They may have similarities to the south but they are not southern.

No part of Illinois or Indiana or Ohio have ever been or can ever be part of the south. Missouri is different because of some major historical elements as well as a significant but partial geographical position in the south. And even then only southern Missouri can really be called southern.

Not to mention that if you spend a lot of time well into the south and then go anywhere in Indiana or Illinois I guarantee you will see a cultural difference.

Illinois and Indiana are solid lower Mid-west. Not upper south.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:09 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Lower Missouri yes.

Indiana and Illinois? No. They may have similarities to the south but they are not southern.

No part of Illinois or Indiana or Ohio have ever been or can ever be part of the south. Missouri is different because of some major historical elements as well as a significant but partial geographical position in the south. And even then only southern Missouri can really be called southern.

Not to mention that if you spend a lot of time well into the south and then go anywhere in Indiana or Illinois I guarantee you will see a cultural difference.

Illinois and Indiana are solid lower Mid-west. Not upper south.
No, far southern Indiana and Illinois are solidly in the upland South region. I know becuase I live in southern Indiana currently. The southern elements overwhelm the Midwest elements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky