Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 12:01 AM

970 posts, read 1,863,243 times

Advertisements

Huh?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 01:25 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,799,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
I'm from the southern state of Texas.....with KY being one of those "northern" states.
LOL This guy disagrees with you.

warning for language
Gut Rumbles: Texas is not a southern state

"Q. How do you find Texas?
A. Drive west till you smell it, and south till you step in it."

Old 12-01-2011, 08:00 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,657,626 times
My many visits to Western Kentucky (Almost all west of the lake) have shown me time and time again that it is part of the south. Rural counties with >20% black population aren't Midwestern, sorry.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
My many visits to Western Kentucky (Almost all west of the lake) have shown me time and time again that it is part of the south. Rural counties with >20% black population aren't Midwestern, sorry.
Again.....HUH?

Old 12-01-2011, 11:12 PM

I have two words to describe the states of WV, KY, TN, and AR.....neither are "southern."

Old 12-02-2011, 06:21 AM

3 posts, read 5,669 times
Craigcreek, i agree cinti is definitely midwestern w only southern influences. But you are wrong about southern ohio not being part of the upland south and cinti IS part of the bluegrass. Look it up on wikipedia. My assertion that ky is geographically part of the midwest is only an opinion, but look at a map of the U.S. it certainly further north than any other "southern" state looks to really fit in better with the notheastern and midwestern states. The same goes for w. Virginia and even northern virginia...im just sayin...i know you kentuckians pride yourself on being southern, but i think the map speaks for itself.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:51 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,721,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
I have two words to describe the states of WV, KY, TN, and AR.....neither are "southern."
You are joking right?

Quote:
The Commonwealth of Kentucky i/kɨnˈtʌki/ is a state located in the East Central United States of America. As classified by the United States Census Bureau, Kentucky is a Southern state, more specifically in the East South Central region

You ever here of Bluegrass Music?KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN?
Not Southern?yeh...right!

Then you said TN too?OMG!!Really?

Old 12-02-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You are joking right?

You ever here of Bluegrass Music?KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN?
Not Southern?yeh...right!

Then you said TN too?OMG!!Really?
Yes, yes, and yes. Again, the 2 words are not "southern," but define everything you brought up..............ugh.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:48 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,806,312 times
It appears that various posters are using various criteria to determine just what and where Kentucky is. Once we agree on which criteria apply, I think an agreement can be reached.

Geographically, Kentucky is north of states clearly defined as "southern". Culturally, Kentucky has both Southern and Midwestern characteristics, but is very different from the industrial Midwest, New England, the agricultural west-of-the-Mississippi River Midwestern states, etc. Upper South characteristics prevail in Kentucky.

Kentucky, Maryland, and West Virginia are frequently described as "border states", a description which perhaps is more accurate than "Southern", and definitely more accurate than "Midwest". Kentucky hasn't been part of the "West", either Old or Mid, since the frontier days of the 1700s.

I'm baffled by the statements that Cincinnati is part of the Bluegrass and that southern Ohio is part of the upland south - geologically and geographically, this is just not the case. I'd be interested in how you reached these opinions, rjbarker -- thanks.

The Bluegrass is a very distinct area located in east central Kentucky, centered around Lexington and consisting of the Inner and Outer Bluegrass, the latter bordered by The Knobs, another distinct geological and geographic area, which run in a U-shape around the east, south, and western borders of the Outer Bluegrass. The northern border of the Outer Bluegrass is the Ohio River, the northern boundary of Kentucky and (the northern bank) southern boundary of the state of Ohio. During the Ice Age, the glaciers came close to the present northern banks of the Ohio River, sparing parts of what's now Cincinnati and the surrounding area, along with everything south of the Ohio River - is this a factor in your statement that Cincinnati is part of the Bluegrass and southern Ohio part of the Upland South?

Culturally, Cincinnati and the surrounding area are largely German in heritage, although the many Kentuckians who've migrated to this part of Ohio have brought some of their own cultural influences, as have members of other ethnic/cultural groups. East of the Cincinnati area, one soons encounters the Appalachian foothills (not mountains) - again, there are some some cultural similarities plus some geographic resemblances to the Southern Appalachians and their foothills, but this area is still north of the Ohio River, so cannot be Southern.

So - define your definitions, and we'll have a less contentious discussion.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
It appears that various posters are using various criteria to determine just what and where Kentucky is. Once we agree on which criteria apply, I think an agreement can be reached.

Geographically, Kentucky is north of states clearly defined as "southern". Culturally, Kentucky has both Southern and Midwestern characteristics, but is very different from the industrial Midwest, New England, the agricultural west-of-the-Mississippi River Midwestern states, etc. Upper South characteristics prevail in Kentucky.

Kentucky, Maryland, and West Virginia are frequently described as "border states", a description which perhaps is more accurate than "Southern", and definitely more accurate than "Midwest". Kentucky hasn't been part of the "West", either Old or Mid, since the frontier days of the 1700s.

I'm baffled by the statements that Cincinnati is part of the Bluegrass and that southern Ohio is part of the upland south - geologically and geographically, this is just not the case. I'd be interested in how you reached these opinions, rjbarker -- thanks.

The Bluegrass is a very distinct area located in east central Kentucky, centered around Lexington and consisting of the Inner and Outer Bluegrass, the latter bordered by The Knobs, another distinct geological and geographic area, which run in a U-shape around the east, south, and western borders of the Outer Bluegrass. The northern border of the Outer Bluegrass is the Ohio River, the northern boundary of Kentucky and (the northern bank) southern boundary of the state of Ohio. During the Ice Age, the glaciers came close to the present northern banks of the Ohio River, sparing parts of what's now Cincinnati and the surrounding area, along with everything south of the Ohio River - is this a factor in your statement that Cincinnati is part of the Bluegrass and southern Ohio part of the Upland South?

Culturally, Cincinnati and the surrounding area are largely German in heritage, although the many Kentuckians who've migrated to this part of Ohio have brought some of their own cultural influences, as have members of other ethnic/cultural groups. East of the Cincinnati area, one soons encounters the Appalachian foothills (not mountains) - again, there are some some cultural similarities plus some geographic resemblances to the Southern Appalachians and their foothills, but this area is still north of the Ohio River, so cannot be Southern.

So - define your definitions, and we'll have a less contentious discussion.
I appreciate your input. I have relatives who live in southern OH and think they "qualify" as southerners..............very funny.

KY is a pretty small state, but the eastern part is very different from the western part. I have a friend who lives in Louisville, then lived south, but the parents wanted to move back to the "Midwest" meaning Louisville.

To me..............and maybe only me.......KY is not "southern." I would not call TN "southern." I would not call NC "southern." Even though Texas is southern....it's not "southern."

To me, there are about 6 states that are "southern:" Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and SOUTH Carolina. That's it.

As far as the Midwest goes...............When I think of Pittsburgh, I think of the Midwest, and yet it's not.

What is the Upper South vs the Lower North? That's what I don't get. Everyone wants to be "southern."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky