U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 02:23 PM

688 posts, read 2,824,407 times

Advertisements

Living in the Louisville and Lexington areas, I've heard a lot of "Coke" references. Like "What kinda Coke do you want? We've got Sprite, root beer..."

I'm not sure what I say anymore - I guess moving around will do that to you! I think I'm usually a "pop" girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 02:55 PM

1,714 posts, read 5,577,593 times
Default that map helps

I have never understood what people were trying to learn about each other, when they asked each other about "soda" and "pop".

That map helps me understand a lot better; apparently the terms vary by huge geographical region. Now, around here growing up, if we didn't say soft drink, we'd say coke. Soda and pop aren't really part of the landscape in Kentucky, and that map bears it out. But so many people move around from all over, so the terms blend and spread.

Pass the Ale-8!

Last edited by timelesschild; 04-25-2008 at 04:06 PM..

Old 04-27-2008, 08:29 AM

13 posts, read 62,316 times
I'm from Owensboro, but haven't lived in Kentucky since 1985, my mother never made grits, although my Auunt would make a grit and garlic/cheese casserole at christmas occasionally, nobody really loved them thou, never heard of fried green tomatoes until the movie came out. So if that makes one southern I guess I am not then. Growing up I always thought we were southern, but then I moved to Atlanta, then Charleston SC, trust me Kentucky is not southern, a true southerner still hasn't figured out that the civil war ended a long long time ago and the north won. Kentucky is Kentucky it is unique and wonderful its people are the best, so don't try to peg it as part of something else, when it makes everything else pale in comparison.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:56 AM

34 posts, read 273,230 times
well, bcuz you missed out on what 95% of the rest of the state grew up eating doesnt make your opinion any count... My girlfriend is from owensboro, I land in the ohio valley flood plain with large willow oak- sweetgum forests and even cypress sloughs in the many oxbow lakes. Also owensboro hails itself as the bbq capital of the world, and one stop into any of the restaurants there will see these southern staples your family neglected on the menu...

Old 04-27-2008, 09:06 AM

also a person who doesnt know the north won is what southerners call "white trash", a title below redneck. I wear a rebel flag belt buckle and there are many yards here that have them flying. When my family went on vacation as a child we had a rebel flag beach towel, but we are not racist. The common misconception mistrewn around use of that flag comes from its use by bikers and white trash, while in the New south it is often attached to the phrase "pride not prejudice", or "heritage not hate". We fly it as a homage to the ancestors we can trace back who gave their lives fighting for states rights and this beautiful land they love, which if you would take the time to identify taxonomically you would find identical to the forests all the way through tennessee, the western parts of virginia, north carolina, and south carolina, as well as the northern portions of mississippi, alabama, and georgia. On a last note i'd say you must try the great buffet at Ole South BBQ next time your in the 'boro.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:34 AM

i'm happy to see all the wisteria in bloom, all the oaks now have their full leaves and yesterday i noticed the mimosas are now pushing out their leaves. my neighbors' azaleas are magnificent.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:34 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,772,925 times
Ok, so some people call a Pepsi a Coke???? And a Mountain Dew is a Coke too?? Huh?

Old 04-27-2008, 05:55 PM

6,749 posts, read 20,396,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Ok, so some people call a Pepsi a Coke???? And a Mountain Dew is a Coke too?? Huh?
Yeah, it's kinda like calling even generic brand of Kleenex kleenex

Old 04-27-2008, 05:58 PM

6,749 posts, read 20,396,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyford View Post
I'm from Owensboro, but haven't lived in Kentucky since 1985, my mother never made grits, although my Auunt would make a grit and garlic/cheese casserole at christmas occasionally, nobody really loved them thou, never heard of fried green tomatoes until the movie came out. So if that makes one southern I guess I am not then. Growing up I always thought we were southern, but then I moved to Atlanta, then Charleston SC, trust me Kentucky is not southern, a true southerner still hasn't figured out that the civil war ended a long long time ago and the north won. Kentucky is Kentucky it is unique and wonderful its people are the best, so don't try to peg it as part of something else, when it makes everything else pale in comparison.
I am so sorry you missed out on so much during your childhood. Bless your heart.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:20 PM

13 posts, read 62,316 times
Well I thought Kentuckians where the best but I guess not all there are always a few stinkers everywhere, I still love Kentucky and still call it home. If you can't move past a war that ended well over a hundred years ago then you are pretty damn stupid! If being able to look forward and not back makes me white trash then so be it I must be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or