U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2006, 08:37 PM

7 posts, read 51,615 times

Advertisements

First off, I don't need to hear all of the things about how supposedly dangerous it is or how stupid I supposedly am for wanting a homebirth.
I just want to know if it's possible to have a midwife assisted homebirth in that area. Also where do I look for a midwife there. I have tried to research midwives in the northern Ky area & have not come up with much. BTW I am not pregnant yet..just getting all my info ahead of time. I am also not in N Ky yet, in a few months I will be moving to the Grant co. area. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:54 AM

279 posts, read 1,746,569 times
You don't WANT to hear about the dangers, but you NEED to. This is a funny cowinkydink, because I was just talking about this exact thing with my mom and husband a few days ago. I have three kids. I won't bore you with medical details but my first two children had the kind of births that women used to die from. My first one especially, I would have died for sure and my baby too. So I had all three by C- section.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:02 PM

1,524 posts, read 3,559,641 times
I think this is the wrong forum altogether for this kind of question. Try mothering.com instead.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:37 PM

7 posts, read 51,615 times
Like I said I KNOW the supposed risks of it, which if you are a low risk pregnancy are VERY rare. I have done more than my share of homework. I simply asked a question that could have had a simple answer. If you don't know the answer move on & don't respond. I HAVE been to mothering.com & found nothing to help me. I have had 2 hospital birhts with complications that could've been avoided & were actually CAUSED by the hospital interventions. Like I said I know what I'm doing that's why I asked if it was possible to have an ASSISTED homebirth, I'm not comfortable right now having a homebirth without a professional there & yes a midwife is a professional.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 8,071 times
To answer you questions:
Our laws in Ky make it illegal for midwives to practice, because it is illegal to practice w/o a license, and they stopped issuing those in the 70's.
However it is NOT illegal to hire a midwife, and a woman has the right to choose where-ever she will have her baby.
Because of the crazy laws here, there are just a few midwives. I have personally worked with Juliet Dietsch, (website: http://www.freewebs.com/kentuckyhomebirth/) and would highly recommend her. She might be willing to travel from Louisville to northern ky.
Also, I would try googling the Cincinnati area for midwives, although I'm not sure about Ohio's laws regarding this.
Lastly, there might be a professional birth support network in Cincinnati (here in Louisville we have Birth Care Network - check it out at birthcarenetwork.com) and either a group in Cincy or maybe even someone from BCN in Louisville would know of more midwives.
I hope this is helpful!
(Might I also highly recommend hiring a doula for your future birth? They make everything so much better!! Of course I'm a little baised, but I'm not going to have a baby without one.)
Good luck!

Old 01-03-2007, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 8,067 times
I went to a chiropractor during my entire pregnancy and my birth only lasted 3 hours. I had my son at home with the assistance of my husband and a midwife. The birth was amazing and I intend to have all my children at home.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:29 PM

190 posts, read 757,447 times
I had a midwife for my last 2 out of 3 children, and must say that I was totally suprised about the quality of care. I'm not sure about N. Kentucky, but in Richmond we have a midwife center. These are overseen by an OBGYN, but do all the appointments, check-ups, and delivery, barring any unforseen problems. I would recommend a midwife to deliver, as long as everything checks out normally. If I were you, I would call the local health department. That's where the midwives here started from, assisting needy women in the area. You can also check with the surrounding hospitals and ask if a midwife is available. I also wanted a home birth for my last one, but was not able to due to some complications. Good luck, and if that's what you want, more power to you! ~God Bless~

Old 03-02-2007, 09:44 AM
LTT

14 posts, read 41,585 times
Default homebirth

I had a homebirth. I did extensive research beforehand though and was 2 minutes from a major hopspital. I had 2 midwives, a doula, and my husband there to support me. I could not have done it with all their help. Good luck in your INFORMED decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky