Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 03:01 PM

19 posts, read 61,380 times

Advertisements

I just discovered Bardstown and am wondering if anyone can tell me about it.
I think I saw a statistic that said the murder rate was extremely high. Is this true? If so why? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 10:10 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzun View Post
I just discovered Bardstown and am wondering if anyone can tell me about it.
I think I saw a statistic that said the murder rate was extremely high. Is this true? If so why? Thanks
Huh?? Bardstown??? No way. Suzun, I have helped you several times. What is your agenda?

Old 12-02-2006, 04:51 PM

19 posts, read 61,380 times
stx
My agenda is getting all the info I can so I can make the best choice as to where to move to. If you look at this link you will see that
both Bardstown 40004 and New Haven 40051 come up on the same page. I apologise if I offended anyone but I mistook the statistic for New Haven for Bardstown which is 13 miles away. Anyway what's with New Haven's murder rate?

http://homes.point2.com/Neighborhood...ographics.aspx

Old 12-10-2006, 12:11 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,223,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzun View Post
stx
My agenda is getting all the info I can so I can make the best choice as to where to move to. If you look at this link you will see that
both Bardstown 40004 and New Haven 40051 come up on the same page. I apologise if I offended anyone but I mistook the statistic for New Haven for Bardstown which is 13 miles away. Anyway what's with New Haven's murder rate?

http://homes.point2.com/Neighborhood...ographics.aspx
On Sperling's site using a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst, it shows that Bardstown's violent crime rating is a 5 and New Haven is a 1. This includes murders, rapes, robbery, and aggravated assault but does not break it down. The national average is only a 3.

New Haven's property crime is a 1 and Bardstown's is a 6.

I'm looking to relocate as well and since I know nothing about the places on which I'm checking, web sites with such data regarding crime, climate, ethnicity, etc. are all I have to rely on until I "meet" these places in persons.

If I were looking into Bardstown (which I'm not), that crime rate would keep me away as I'm not moving to where it's higher than where I'm now living.

Good luck on your search.

Old 12-24-2006, 06:16 PM

5 posts, read 19,052 times
I know it has been a while since anyone has posted on this thread, but I thought I would chime in here. I live in Bardstown and started my post graduate work for the City of Bardstown as a Director of a Department. While I don't still work there, I still live in the community. The crime rate is VERY low...you must understand those stat sites do things per capita and the validity is not there when you get down to such a small population (I occasionally teach undergraduate research and statistics). Bardstown is a nice bedroom community of Louisville (about 25 miles south) and for a small town (less than 10,000) it has been nice. I moved from Illinois close to 10 years ago (central illinois, as well as living in Chicago) and I had NEVER lived in a town under say 50,000. I found Bardstown to be friendly and close enough to Louisville or Elizabethtown for shopping and dining. I have NEVER worried about crime, although the DUI rates in the area tend to be higher than the national average. Hope this helps.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:43 AM

850 posts, read 3,158,267 times
Suzan, I am not sure where you heard/read this, other than the ref. you gave - but Bardstown has to be one of the SAFEST communities in the U.S. to live in.

I just did a post about antiques in the area, and driving through yesterday was the closest thing to MayBerry you can get.

I lived on the out-skirts, Cox's Creek, several years ago while going through a divorce, and you will not find nicer people anywhere. Everyone from the water company to the local mini-mart were more than happy to help

Yesterday, when I found the booth space for rent, the manager took my info, held the booth, and told me not to worry about payment until I came back Tuesday to set up. It is a town/area where a handshake and a promise still means something, and a smile and thank-you will go a long way.

I think you should write to the people you are getting your stats from and let them know they are way off. Bardstown is a very old, historic, picturesque town, growing by leaps and bounds, and holding some of the most caring, southern people in the world.

So sorry you stumbled along incorrect info.

KimmieyKy

Old 01-12-2007, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 10,591 times
reply to bardstown, I had family member live there all their life and another relative. Drinking can be found anywhere these days but I have noticed with it being a wet county there were alot of dui's and drinking beer daily and riding around all day was so so common, country guys drinking with their buddies so with dui I have to agree with the above. I do agree with kimmie on the atompshere , the historic richness and people were pleasant but I also ran into rude people also , so I think that is anywhere and it could of been the contacts I came to know but it is average town. I think there are more stores and shopping centers in e-town though. I just know of wal-mart there and it wasn't all that. bardstown known for its whisky. My mom didn;'t have a very good experience there but again I would

Old 01-15-2007, 06:43 AM

850 posts, read 3,158,267 times
I wish there were a way I could wave a magic wand to help ya'll see what a wonderful place Bardstown and surrounding commuinities really are.

Having lived in this particular area since I was 11 (or 12), and being born in Louisville in 1966, I am horrified at the information other sites are pouring into the 'facts' about Bardstown. Crime? Murder? It is a rare commodity that the news is more than what so ans so's son did at school the other day - who went into Louisville to shop, and what new business may be coming into town. We are not perfect - but you can still leave your doors unlocked and know you are safe.

Alcohol....

Yes, Bardstown and surrounding areas are known for it's Bourbon. It can only be called Bourbon if it comes from Kentucky, and between Heaven Hill, Jim Beam, and the Four Roses - they make a lot of it. That does not mean the county and surrounding areas are full of lushes, although many do enjoy it. Check out info on the Bourbon Festival held each year in Bardstown, and you will see the wonderful Music, Arts and Crafts, and fantastic food available! Kentucky Burgoo is the BOMB!

http://www.kybourbonfestival.com/ - try this link for all the info you need/want. Equal to the liveliness and friendliness of the KY Derby Festival in May, this is the place to be in September, centering around Bourbon rather than horses. Also, look up "The Kentucky Standard", Bardstown's local newspaper. Much more daily news there - I'll think you will see the difference in the stats and the truth.

I operate an Antique booth at a wonderful shop right in the heart of Bardstown. The people are wonderful, and always ready to help. When I was deciding what shop to move into, I stopped a customer to ask what drew her to this particular shop, and what she liked about the booth she was visiting. As most Kentuckians do, she was more than happy to give her opinion, and we talked for some time about our tastes, she gave suggestions, and we shopped together, comparing items. I had never met her before in my life.

The day I moved in - the daughter of the shop owner met us at the back door to help us unload and navigate the elevator. Wonderful girl, about my age or younger (late 30's probably), and because I never meet a stranger, we were soon deep in conversation about a flu bug running around, our kids and their laundry habits, and the in's and out's of running a booth.

When I left, we went to the Kroger, as my bank is located inside. I did not have my check book with me, but told the little girl I had my account number memorized - once again, we struck up a conversation and began to talk about the gifts she had purchased for Valentines Day. I left with a smile, and had stayed much longer than I planned, as I had made a new friend. Again, I had never met her before that moment.

It is a custom in Kentucky (outside the big cities) to wave at everyone you pass on the road. This is a tradition and courtesy which is dying a slow death - but it does still exist, nonetheless. In driving through a town you know, it is not unusual to have waved 15 times going from one block to another! If you do not wave, they assume you are from out of town, and they wave anyway!

There will always be people who are having a bad day, and may be rude or just uncaring. But I have found, if I make the initial effort - opening doors for moms with hands full of kids and groceries, giving up a parking spot to an old lady who REALLY needs to park close to the door, smiling at a crying child in the grocery store and winking at mom, telling her it will get better - people respond.

It saddens me so to hear that Bardstown is being portrayed in such a negative light. I would love to get hold of those writing statistics to 'clear the air' . I am sorry for those who have visited and not had a good experience. I have no idea how to fix that other than to say - come back and I will take you on a tour, and show you how to really experience Kentucky.

While I have mentioned before my passion for Florida, and the way the beach and warm winds take away all the cares I have, I must say that Kentucky is the only other state in which I would ever want to live. I do get tired of the crazy weather (It's been in the 60's this week), and the gray skies come in November and stay til April - with a few breaks in between. The older I get, the more my bones need warmth all year long - but moving away would have nothing to do with the people here.

Here's to true friendliness in the Bluegrass - and may you always feel as though you have never met a stranger!

Kimmiey

Old 01-23-2007, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 13,191 times
Hello
I have just read your message and i thought it was lovely. Me and my family are from England, Great Britian and are looking to move to bardstown. Could you tell me if there is a hospital nearby. Could you tell me everything there is to know about bardstown. Thank you
Bev

Old 01-23-2007, 06:13 PM

171 posts, read 463,105 times
Kimmie, In reading your nice reply I noticed you are the one who responded to my inquiry on jazz in that area, well I'm looking at Bardstown because it's between Lex and Lou'ville and it looks great, but what about Lebanon, I posted a question but nobody answered. There's a beautiful house I want to buy there and play in the surrounding cities, Is it a nice historic town like Bardstown seems to be?? Johnnybc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky