U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Somerset and London: work relocation, small children, social activities, amazing traffic, town pride

Old 02-17-2008, 01:40 PM

58 posts, read 217,535 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me some information about Somerset and London communities? I am considering a work relocation to Burnside. I am married w/ 2 small children, so schools are important as well as social activity.

OPSMAN
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 02:11 PM

486 posts, read 1,783,624 times
A family friend of mine lives in London and her son attends Bush Elementary School where apparently they are very satisfied with. Overall, Laurel County Schools are a step above most other school districts in SE Kentucky. London/ Corbin is a nice community to live in- little traffic, nice towns, and less crime than other SE KY communities. I hope some locals can give you more detailed information.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:23 AM

58 posts, read 217,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPSMAN View Post
Can anyone tell me some information about Somerset and London communities? I am considering a work relocation to Burnside. I am married w/ 2 small children, so schools are important as well as social activity.

OPSMAN
Anybody else out there with information on Somerset, London or Corbin?

OPSMAN

Old 02-18-2008, 03:38 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,938,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPSMAN View Post

OPSMAN
Somerset and Pulaski County I'm no fan of at all. Most of the people I've met from there have been less than pleasant. I find Somerset to be dirty, choked with an amazing amount of traffic considering there are fewer than 65,000 people in all of Pulaski County, poorly planned, and the drivers are rude for a small town. There's not a lot of historic character or town pride, either. Don't move to Somerset. At least the vast splendor of Lake Cumberland is nearby should any water recreational hunch arise.

Corbin...eehhhh. Yeah it has the first KFC and a decent hospital. It has most everything Somerset and London has. But try stepping backwards 20 years in a race relations time warp. 'Nuff said.

London and Laurel County, on the other hand, is a nice place. In fact, it's probably the only place I'd live in southeastern Kentucky. It's better planned, clean, and still has many of the same stores and eateries Somerset has. There is a cinema, Office Depot, Lowe's, Wal-Mart, Kroger, White Castle, and Ruby Tuesday's all in London. Traffic is not nearly as bad; of course, Laurel is a smaller county, but still the fastest-growing in SEKY. To my knowledge, it's the only county in SEKY with job GROWTH! Not to mention, it has the best public schools in the region aside from Corbin Ind. (not saying much for either, because Kentucky's public schools are less than impressive.) If you get sick, Saint Joseph's London and Baptist Regional Med. Center in Corbin are within easy reach.

London sits at the intersection of I-75 and the Louie Nunn/Cumberland and Hal Rogers Parkways. Take I-75 north to go to Lexington, Louisville and Cincinnati. Take I-75 south to Knoxville and Atlanta. Take the LN/Cumberland west to Somerset, Lake Cumberland, Bowling Green and Nashville. Take the Hal Rogers east to Pikeville and the ATV-friendly terrain of the mountains.

Don't get me wrong, London is still a boring small town in my mind. But then again, I'm much more of a city guy. But, for a small town, London doesn't do bad at all.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 02-18-2008 at 03:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky