Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:50 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,427,729 times

Advertisements

I will take the nice laid back friendly, everybody knows your name small town and rural living any day..I have been there and done that with big cities, suburbs, big city traffic and people too busy to be a neighbor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 10:54 AM

108 posts, read 450,964 times
Quote:
But I've always told my best half that if I had the money I would love to move to the place of my forefathers, other than Scotland. Its a little hole in the wall on the fart east-end of Kentucky just about at the border of Boyd and Lawrence county. Its called "Boltsfork", and it was settled sometime around "1757". I still have some kin that live in the area but its been a longtime since I was back down there. That part of Kentucky is as close to God as one can ever get.
I know exactly where you're talking about! I live a few miles north of Boltsfork in Boyd County. My wife and I enjoy driving down Rt. 3 from I-64 to Fallsburg.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:54 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,097,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Village Idiot View Post
I know exactly where you're talking about! I live a few miles north of Boltsfork in Boyd County. My wife and I enjoy driving down Rt. 3 from I-64 to Fallsburg.
Thats great, most people just look at me and say , yah right . The story is that my forefathers got there before Daniel Boone came to Kentucky.

The old Bolt Cemetery up on Garner has most of the Bolt family planted there. Except my Father who is buried up here in Ohio. Although we did have a little problem with some of the locals trying to bury thier family in our cemetery. We have a major "no can do" rule, unless you are a member of the family. So I was told that they were made to remove them with the exception of one they found that they were shirt-tail cousins to us, they got to stay.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:33 PM

11,016 posts, read 17,400,358 times
I have lived in small town Kentucky all my life (so far! lol). I prefer small towns, say 15,000 or less, over bigger cities anytime. Everybody knows everybody (that can be bad at times though!), If you need help, there's always someone ready to lend a helping hand.
My grandfather had a nationally syndicated column in the 30's, when, if you went anywhere, you travelled by train. He wrote once that if you're going to take a train somewhere, especially on weekends, you better shine your shoes and wear your best clothes, because everybody will be at the station to see who's going where!

Old 02-22-2008, 03:54 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,755,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I will take the nice laid back friendly, everybody knows your name small town and rural living any day..I have been there and done that with big cities, suburbs, big city traffic and people too busy to be a neighbor
Well, since I'm so used to living in a small town with unfriendly neighbors (these are not busy or rushed people, just flat-out unfriendly,) I might as well live in a more urban area. At least I would be used to my neighbor not speaking to me as often, and I wouldn't have the lack of modern amenities and stores that "living in the sticks" provides. (I've done the urban and suburban thing before.)

Old 02-22-2008, 05:37 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,408,852 times
Spent part of my life living in Chicago, then I lived in Tokyo, Hong Kong and Mexico City ... Mexico City, 28 million people as soon as I got a chance to come of the road and move back to a small town I was on it. And now I'm happily living in a town that has less people than a typical apartment building in a big one and I love it! Sure there are times I miss being able to get nearly anything I want, but with the internet I can order it.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:54 PM

3 posts, read 8,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Sorry, but I would never live in a Subdivision. If I can hit my neighbours house with a rock the his is way to close. I like the country life, if I want to fire off my shotgun then I'll do so without some nosey person calling the cops. Or trying to tell me how to mow my lawn. But, thats just me.
I agree...I never understood the whole idea of paying a neighborhood association $500/Year to tell me what I can and can not do with MY property. I understand that it's for the good of the neighborhood, but it's just not for me. Not that I want to paint my house bright pink, but I CAN if I want.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 6,079 times
If you are looking for a nice, very small little burg in KY, then Frenchburg would be a consideration. There is nothing going on there. It's a lot like it was 50 years ago. People are nice, pace is slow. There is no industry. People work at Mt. Sterling or Lexington, or even further away. Personally, I love it there.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:03 AM

638 posts, read 1,275,923 times
Moving to the outskirts of Paris to get away from the "hit your neighbor's house with a rock" existance. Rural enough for me, yet close enough to "city life" to experience those benefits also!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky