Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 08:20 AM

42 posts, read 86,378 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Looking to get the perspective from those of you that have moved from Wisc (tax hell) and those of you from northern Ill to Kentucky.

Why did you move? I.E cost of living in wisc, job, weather, family, ETC.
What part of Kentucky did you move to?
Would you move back to Wisc?
In your opinion how does the weather compare?
How does the cost of living compare?
How do the people compare?
What did you find "odd" compared to Wisc?
How does Insurance compare? I.E Auto, home.
How does the vehicle registration cost compare?
How did you deal with the change in critters? I.E Termites, fleas, snakes ETC.

Thanks for any info.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 03:07 PM

There must be 1 or 2 that have moved.

Thanks

Dave

Old 02-04-2010, 05:14 PM

174 posts, read 370,979 times
I live in N. central IL. I lived in western KY for 4 yrs. I'm moving back in 1 yr. when I retire. It is agreat area to live in my opinion. Real estate taxes are 1/4 of IL's. The cost of living is cheap. Utilities are cheap. It is a recreational area. (boating, fishing, hunting, county fairs, land between the lakes.) You have 4 season, a short winter great spring and fall. Ins. is a touch higher, not a lot. the area look a lot like WS.You will pay a personal property tax on your car, boat, rec. vehc. This is part of you lic. It all depends on the value. It is not bad.The critters are not that bad.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:35 AM

157 posts, read 475,276 times
I came from Gurnee, IL to Louisville, KY about two years ago. The cost of living is significantly lower here, from what I can tell. I moved here for the lower cost of living (it would be the first time living on my own and taking care of a household, and I knew I would need to live somewhere I can get by even if I'm not making tons of money), fewer people, less traffic, and slightly warmer climate. I did not know anyone in Louisville or who had ever lived in Louisville. I kind of just picked it out and hoped it would work--so far it's worked even a little better than I expected.

We still have all four seasons, complete with the cold we got in the winter and the hot/humid days of summer--the biggest differences are that the summer weather lasts longer and the winter weather lasts only three months (Dec., Jan., Feb.), and less snow accumlation.

The culture shock hasn't been that bad (not as bad as my family kept telling me it would be). The most noticable differences in the people are the accents and a kind of openness...that is hard for me to describe, sorry. For example I had to go down to Madisonville, KY for work and while I was there I kept thinking "why is everyone being so friendly??" to a northerner like me it seemed suspicious and/or creepy that people were as nice as they were, it simply perplexed me (of course I've learned that it was genuine). It seems that when people here meet you they want to know more details or they seem more curious than WI or IL people would be about a newcomer. Gurnee was quite a "politically correct" area IMO and people in KY seem to be less concerned about being PC; they are less reluctant to bring up politics, religion, race, etc. But at the same time I see more people in the Louisville area cross typical friendship frontiers, as in age or race--I see more older folks and younger folks befriend each other, more different "colors" befriend each other (outside of romantic relationships, I mean), and it seems more natural. I think the Chicago area was more "voluntarily segregated."

Old 02-07-2010, 08:19 AM

174 posts, read 370,979 times
Oh! and lots of great golf.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:48 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,081,172 times
Post Differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by nived1964 View Post
Hello,

Looking to get the perspective from those of you that have moved from Wisc (tax hell) and those of you from northern Ill to Kentucky.

Why did you move? I.E cost of living in wisc, job, weather, family, ETC.
Originally the job, but like the weather. It's difficult visiting back during the winter months (you get use to mild winters).
What part of Kentucky did you move to? Louisville
Would you move back to Wisc? Possibly - to Wisc/Minn

In your opinion how does the weather compare? Obviously, we can look at averages. More ice (mix) storms than snow. State/businesses shut down here with any snow vs. laugh

How does the cost of living compare? Much less (~20%); especially utilities. Home prices, taxes, etc. are lower.

How do the people compare? Similiar. If you offer a $25/hour skilled job, you'll find similiar job applicants. Sure, the fringes are different. Vehicle example: You may see worse cars since Wisc has vehicle testing and old cars just don't surrive the Wisc winters. Crazy people here can get by (in the winter) on sandals and hooded sweatshirt - they wouldn't survive in Wisc.

What did you find "odd" compared to Wisc? In Ky - the amount of trash/littter on sides of roads - partly due to extremely high cost at the (very few) dumps. In Wisc, it's "odd" that small rural towns are worried about their population losses as people flee to bigger cities.

How does Insurance compare? I.E Auto, home. Homes and autos are less - try Chicago some time. Very low minimums so carry uninsured!
How does the vehicle registration cost compare? Less than Minn and Wisc. and depends on value of your vehicle.

How did you deal with the change in critters? I.E Termites, fleas, snakes ETC. Many more critters but most people don't notice. Hikers get ticks and chiggers more but most people don't hike (in either state). Snakes in either place are NOTHING like can be found in Texas.

Thanks for any info.

Dave
Let us know if you move...

Old 02-07-2010, 10:57 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
What did you find "odd" compared to Wisc? In Ky - the amount of trash/littter on sides of roads - partly due to extremely high cost at the (very few) dumps. In Wisc, it's "odd" that small rural towns are worried about their population losses as people flee to bigger cities.
And Lexington is rated the 10th cleanest city in the world. I don't recall seeing any cities in Wisconsin or Minnesota on that list. There might be a problem with litter in your area but the whole state isn't like that. I know because I have traveled extensively around the state and I would be the one to know.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:51 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,081,172 times
Post with links

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
And Lexington is rated the 10th cleanest city in the world. I don't recall seeing any cities in Wisconsin or Minnesota on that list. There might be a problem with litter in your area but the whole state isn't like that. I know because I have traveled extensively around the state and I would be the one to know.
While you were reviewing the top 10 list, you must have skipped over Minneapolis at number #5: In Pictures: The World's Cleanest Cities - Forbes.com

I was talking about the rural areas and I've also traveled quite a bit around all the states we've discussed. I was referring to one of the things that visitors seem to notice; the litter. We're not talking old appliances, just things that seem to fly out the back of pickups.

Both states have a DOT 'adopt a highway' program; which has shown significant progress along both states' highways but it's arguable that Wisonsin's has worked more effectively.

Wisconsin's: Adopt-A-Highway program - Wisconsin Department of Transportation
and Kentucky's Kentucky Adopt-A-Highway

Old 02-07-2010, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the info. As I look at the state and what it has to offer the more I want to move now. However, we need to wait for my son to finish high school. We are looking at Murray as a possible for him to go to after high school. That is if he is accepted, it seems that they are a very selective school, which is great if you get in.

We are looking in the area over by Murray, just in case he gets in. Otherwise we are looking at the entire state, he wants to apply to all the schools, in the hopes of getting into a school in KY. Jobs not much of an issue, wife is NP/RN so just need to be within 30-40 min of a medical place.

thanks again

Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky