Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2016, 08:41 AM

4 posts, read 4,503 times

Advertisements

My family is considering a move to Louisville/Lexington from east coast. Job would be a finance related sales role. My success would be predicated upon making connections with people in the community. I have been advised not to consider KY for a job like this as the average person would not be open to building a business relationship with an east-coaster. Or at least it would be harder then the average city to build a trusting relationship with strangers. I do not know anyone in the area. Thank you in advance for any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 08:43 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleaseadvise11 View Post
My family is considering a move to Louisville/Lexington from east coast. Job would be a finance related sales role. My success would be predicated upon making connections with people in the community. I have been advised not to consider KY for a job like this as the average person would not be open to building a business relationship with an east-coaster. Or at least it would be harder then the average city to build a trusting relationship with strangers. I do not know anyone in the area. Thank you in advance for any thoughts.
Louisville is 2.5 times the size of Lexington. To those unfamiliar, they often get "lumped together." This would be like lumping Madison with Milwaukee or Tallahassee with Jacksonville. No one does that but yet Louisville and Lexington are often "grouped."

There is a substantial difference between them in size, shopping, restaurants, arts, culture, jobs, GDP, etc etc. Lexington is more clicky than Louisville, but they are both fairly accepting. I think both cities had a stereotypical reputation of being click in the past, but I think either would be fine in 2016.

There are not as many east coasters out here as NC or GA, but there are plenty. Louisville's NE suburbs certainly have the highest raw numbers of east coast transplants. You will not have any issues, and its a nice place to live. Hope this helps.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:55 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,784 times
I like Louisville better than Lexington. Louisville is a very nice city. Not a big fan of Lexington other than going to UK sporting events.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:35 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I like Louisville better than Lexington. Louisville is a very nice city. Not a big fan of Lexington other than going to UK sporting events.
Well, I like Lexington better than Louisville, although both cities are wonderful. It's a matter of taste. For the record, I am NOT a sportslover and never attend UK sporting events.

Lexington and Louisville's older areas have a similar flavor - St. Matthews and Audubon Park (in Louisville) remind me of Chevy Chase and Ashland Park in Lexington. Louisville has a superior downtown; Lexington has a superior natural environment surrounding the city. Louisville has wonderful city parks; Lexington has good parks - much better than was once the case - but fewer of them. Louisville has the Ohio River; Lexington is close to the Kentucky River Palisades, along with the mountains, which can be reached in 45 minutes from downtown.

Lexington is considerably more cosmopolitan than was once the case, but it retains a good deal of its genteel, Old South flavor, while being a progressive city in other ways. Politically, it swings slightly left of center. Yet Lexington values its past (not enough, sometimes - see the Big Hole on Main Street where historic buildings stood eight years ago). Lexingtonians are well-educated, the average raised by the presence of UK and Transylvania University.

Lexington does not have the big-city feel of Louisville, and most Lexingtonians are happy to have it that way. Louisville can be reached in about 90 minutes from Lexington; Cincinnati is less than two hours away, for those craving a big-city fix. But it's always a bit of a relief to return to more laid-back Lexington, the Heart of the Beautiful Bluegrass...

Old 08-18-2016, 09:09 AM

409 posts, read 871,896 times
The answer the question as to whether or not Lexington/Louisville is cliquey? Yes, yes they are. In college, back in the 80s, I remember everyone saying if you wanted to work at the higher levels of the Banks in Louisville you needed to go to Centre, (a small liberal arts college in Danville Kentucky) That may or may not have been true, but an awful lot of economic majors in Centre seemed to wind up working for the banks in Louisville.

That said, there is no reason you couldn't have success in your field. Just remember a large number of people you will deal with will have some connections to one of the major universities in the area (UK/UL) and a shared history. However, it is not as bad as it was thirty years ago. Just remember to not do anything outrageous, such as root for Duke in the NCAA , and work it as you would anywhere else and you should be fine.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
The answer the question as to whether or not Lexington/Louisville is cliquey? Yes, yes they are. In college, back in the 80s, I remember everyone saying if you wanted to work at the higher levels of the Banks in Louisville you needed to go to Centre, (a small liberal arts college in Danville Kentucky) That may or may not have been true, but an awful lot of economic majors in Centre seemed to wind up working for the banks in Louisville.

That said, there is no reason you couldn't have success in your field. Just remember a large number of people you will deal with will have some connections to one of the major universities in the area (UK/UL) and a shared history. However, it is not as bad as it was thirty years ago. Just remember to not do anything outrageous, such as root for Duke in the NCAA , and work it as you would anywhere else and you should be fine.
From what I have seen, both cities could not be ANY different than 1980s

Old 08-18-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Well, I like Lexington better than Louisville, although both cities are wonderful. It's a matter of taste. For the record, I am NOT a sportslover and never attend UK sporting events.

Lexington and Louisville's older areas have a similar flavor - St. Matthews and Audubon Park (in Louisville) remind me of Chevy Chase and Ashland Park in Lexington. Louisville has a superior downtown; Lexington has a superior natural environment surrounding the city. Louisville has wonderful city parks; Lexington has good parks - much better than was once the case - but fewer of them. Louisville has the Ohio River; Lexington is close to the Kentucky River Palisades, along with the mountains, which can be reached in 45 minutes from downtown.

Lexington is considerably more cosmopolitan than was once the case, but it retains a good deal of its genteel, Old South flavor, while being a progressive city in other ways. Politically, it swings slightly left of center. Yet Lexington values its past (not enough, sometimes - see the Big Hole on Main Street where historic buildings stood eight years ago). Lexingtonians are well-educated, the average raised by the presence of UK and Transylvania University.

Lexington does not have the big-city feel of Louisville, and most Lexingtonians are happy to have it that way. Louisville can be reached in about 90 minutes from Lexington; Cincinnati is less than two hours away, for those craving a big-city fix. But it's always a bit of a relief to return to more laid-back Lexington, the Heart of the Beautiful Bluegrass...
Excellent post. I do disagree with your neighborhood comparisons but I think you may be comparing historical architecture styles.

Lexington is indeed a genteel Southern college town, highly educated with beautiful surroundings.

Louisville feels more like a major metro area, complete with freeways, more museums, restaurants, skyscrapers, walkability etc. But its still a smaller to medium metro at 1.3 million. Lexington has no answer for urban hip neighborhoods like Highlands ,Clifton ,Crescent Hill , Old Louisville, Germantown, Butchertown...heck even New Albany, Jeffersonville (theyre dts) and Beechmont.

Lexington and Louisville are so close you can easily enjoy both, particularly from a Louisville exurb like beautiful Shelbyville.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:42 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleaseadvise11 View Post
I have been advised not to consider KY for a job like this as the average person would not be open to building a business relationship with an east-coaster. Or at least it would be harder then the average city to build a trusting relationship with strangers.
That might be the case in a remote rural area where most people descend from the area's original pioneers but not in Louisville or Lexington. Both have a lot of transplants from across America and unlike the Deep South people here don't have "anti Yankee" resentment, if anything transplants from other areas are treated with positive curiosity. The lion's share of transplant in both cities are from the Great Lakes area but there are also Northeast and West Coast transplants.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
That might be the case in a remote rural area where most people descend from the area's original pioneers but not in Louisville or Lexington. Both have a lot of transplants from across America and unlike the Deep South people here don't have "anti Yankee" resentment, if anything transplants from other areas are treated with positive curiosity. The lion's share of transplant in both cities are from the Great Lakes area but there are also Northeast and West Coast transplants.
Indeed. Louisville attracts more residents from Cleveland, Toldeo, and northern Ohio than just about anywhere. Lots of folks from Michigan in the northeast suburbs especially. I was in Norton Commons recently eating at a new restaurant, and was driving around. The new apartments there, The Veranda (I think) must of had every other plate from Ohio or MI. This is no exaggeration. Go check it for yourself!

Old 08-19-2016, 07:01 PM

4 posts, read 4,503 times
thanks for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky