Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 05:05 PM

332 posts, read 1,625,803 times

Advertisements

Lived in KY for 4 years. Just way . . . too . . . hot. I like snow that sticks in the winter. Also, I lived in E-town, which was pretty dull. Louisville is a good city, and I actually would consider living there, except that you just get back to the "too hot" problem.

Might go back to visit Louisville sometime (not in summer, though ) and stop in on friends from Etown, but never to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 10:16 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
I left in college to experience a different location. Loved it but returned to Kentucky because I was homesick. Recently we just made the move to Los Angeles due to better job market and to be with family (my family keeps moving to California). I love it in LA. Don't know whether we'll get homesick from here, or how long it might take.

If you want to move to Houston, do it! You're only young once. More experience of the world can only be a good thing, generally. Even if you move back sooner or later, your experiences will be the richer for the variety - and your community will be the better for your broader life experience. One of my sisters met her husband in Houston, after moving there for variety (and a job).
Only time will tell after a move if I will be homesick for Kentucky, or at least my hometown. Who knows? Many places have a stronger job market than Kentucky. I can list about 20 states right now. But, I've noticed Kentucky is a place that attracts many people looking to start or who want to appreciate a slower pace of life. L.A., Houston, Chicago, and definitely NYC don't offer "slow" on their menus.

I'm actively working my contacts and making new ones to make such a move possible. I'm not willing to move until a job is in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
Lived in KY for 4 years. Just way . . . too . . . hot. I like snow that sticks in the winter. Also, I lived in E-town, which was pretty dull. Louisville is a good city, and I actually would consider living there, except that you just get back to the "too hot" problem.

Might go back to visit Louisville sometime (not in summer, though ) and stop in on friends from Etown, but never to live there.
Kentucky's too hot? Try Texas!

Chicago is my second choice if Texas doesn't work out. I'll admit, their summers are more comfortable than either KY or TX, but the winters...I'd have to brace for them! (I'm guessing you're from Chicago or the upper Midwest.)

Old 06-07-2008, 12:37 PM

109 posts, read 281,258 times
I was born and raised in Kentucky. I hated the place ever since I was a kid and would never even consider moving there again. You couldn't give me everything I needed in life for free to move there; It just wouldn't be worth it in my opinion. I left when I was 19, moved to Nashville, and I hated it there as well. I felt like I was in the same place as Kentucky, and I lived downtown.

I moved to Chicago recently and have fell in love with Chicago. I adore Chicago, it is a place I am actually proud of to call home. Now, before people start saying what they hate about "the big bad city", I do not care because I love the good, the bad, the ugly and the stinky. I feel at home here. I love Frank Sinatra, and Bobby Short. What can I say? I am a city guy who was born in a place I have always hated, and I am glad I found home. It feels good to say that with a smile on my face.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:41 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,573,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdsys View Post
I was born and raised in Kentucky. I hated the place ever since I was a kid and would never even consider moving there again. You couldn't give me everything I needed in life for free to move there; It just wouldn't be worth it in my opinion. I left when I was 19, moved to Nashville, and I hated it there as well. I felt like I was in the same place as Kentucky, and I lived downtown.

I moved to Chicago recently and have fell in love with Chicago. I adore Chicago, it is a place I am actually proud of to call home. Now, before people start saying what they hate about "the big bad city", I do not care because I love the good, the bad, the ugly and the stinky. I feel at home here. I love Frank Sinatra, and Bobby Short. What can I say? I am a city guy who was born in a place I have always hated, and I am glad I found home. It feels good to say that with a smile on my face.
Wonderful, good for you.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Wonderful, good for you.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:38 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Quote:

Wow, you're like the third or fourth person ever to actually dissent from the "Don't like it? Well, we don't want to change Kentucky" consensus on this forum.

I've not enjoyed living here since about sixth grade. I'm a very friendly, outgoing, intelligent person capable of, well, intelligent conversation. Are there intelligent, nice people here? Plenty. But they are outnumbered by snippy attitude-laden, ignorant people who, judging by their dress and hygiene, appear to care nothing about themselves. It's a crying shame to see what could be a very attractive female use terrible grammar and look like she hasn't changed her shirt in three weeks. Very sad, but all too common. I only choose to surround myself with people that are nice, good, and have respect for themselves; I could care less about race, color, rich vs. poor, or city vs. country.

Many people in Kentucky hate the "big bad city." I don't care, really. There's nothing wrong with living in the country. That's why we live in the U.S.A, right? Choices. Living in the country, suburbs, and city all have their advantages and disadvantages. But I really laugh when people consider Frankfort and Lexington "big bad cities." I work with the public and honestly have laughed at customers before when they have made such claims. I can't help it.

I'll also say that I've encountered more acclaimed "Southern" hospitality from people in places such as Houston, Atlanta, San Antonio, and even Chicago, which is far from Southern. Big Bad Cities! By the way, I was in Chicago two weeks ago and abso-freakin'-lutely was impressed with the place!

I have been to 20 states and 15 major metropolitan areas. In my travels, Texas and Chicago, while polar opposites in many ways, are the only places where I didn't feel like I was on vacation. I felt like I was part of the community; or, at home!!! I liked the culture, vibrancy, attitude, cleanliness, and beauty of those two places.

Enjoy Chicago! You made a smart move by going up there.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Wow, you're like the third or fourth person ever to actually dissent from the "Don't like it? Well, we don't want to change Kentucky" consensus on this forum.

I've not enjoyed living here since about sixth grade. I'm a very friendly, outgoing, intelligent person capable of, well, intelligent conversation. Are there intelligent, nice people here? Plenty. But they are outnumbered by snippy attitude-laden, ignorant people who, judging by their dress and hygiene, appear to care nothing about themselves. It's a crying shame to see what could be a very attractive female use terrible grammar and look like she hasn't changed her shirt in three weeks. Very sad, but all too common. I only choose to surround myself with people that are nice, good, and have respect for themselves; I could care less about race, color, rich vs. poor, or city vs. country.

Many people in Kentucky hate the "big bad city." I don't care, really. There's nothing wrong with living in the country. That's why we live in the U.S.A, right? Choices. Living in the country, suburbs, and city all have their advantages and disadvantages. But I really laugh when people consider Frankfort and Lexington "big bad cities." I work with the public and honestly have laughed at customers before when they have made such claims. I can't help it.

I'll also say that I've encountered more acclaimed "Southern" hospitality from people in places such as Houston, Atlanta, San Antonio, and even Chicago, which is far from Southern. Big Bad Cities! By the way, I was in Chicago two weeks ago and abso-freakin'-lutely was impressed with the place!

I have been to 20 states and 15 major metropolitan areas. In my travels, Texas and Chicago, while polar opposites in many ways, are the only places where I didn't feel like I was on vacation. I felt like I was part of the community; or, at home!!! I liked the culture, vibrancy, attitude, cleanliness, and beauty of those two places.

Enjoy Chicago! You made a smart move by going up there.
Intelligently written in my opinion. I agree with you. Don't hesitate to leave Kentucky and come to Chicago. I truly, as I said and yourself, feel at home here. Have a good night.

Last edited by bsdsys; 06-07-2008 at 09:57 PM..

Old 06-08-2008, 05:43 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Quote:

Glad you could find somewhere you enjoy.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:24 AM

101 posts, read 435,868 times
We are leaving due to the lack of cultural and religious diversity. I also want my college bound child to consider getting a job where we are and that is not going to happen in Kentucky.
Emmie

Old 06-10-2008, 10:49 PM

92 posts, read 500,098 times
I moved away from Louisville 7 years ago and I am currently in Chicago. I've been here for two years and I really like living here. I plan on being in Chicago, or another large city for a long time to come. However, I know I will end back in Louisville.

Louisville is simply a fantastic city. It is dense, has a great art and restaurant scene, and the neighborhoods are second to none. I love Louisville. No matter where I have lived I have always been, and will always be, a Louisvillian at heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky