Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 10:04 AM

20 posts, read 22,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Datdude....Louisville is really not a blue collar city anymore. That said, those with blue collar heritage are VERY democratic here. I think this shows you may not know Louisville very well. Blue Collar folks, especially those born and raised in Louisville are not conservative at all.

Blue collar folks (i.e. GE and Ford people) always vote democratic. They are pro choice, minority, pro women, union loving democrats. There is no comparison anywhere like this in KY and the culture is more similar to a rustbelt city like Pittsburgh but with a southern "twang." OBTW, Ford, GE, UPS, and some of the companies that seem "blue collar" probably have more white collar and educated jobs in Louisville than otherwise. And even those jobs not requiring college require a high level of skill....the so called skilled trades. It's not like Louisville is some town like Youngstown OH where the only jobs are fast food and Walmart.

Now, where do Louisville suburbs get their conservative slant? It is from rural and small town KY and IN people moving to the city for jobs.
Heh. It's always the rural people's fault. Peter, you're a good poster but you're staunchly anti-rural and that level of bias makes it hard for me to take some of your posts serious.

I know plenty of conservative blue collar people. I know plenty of liberal rural folks. Things aren't as rigidly divided as you seem to think.

I didn't compare Louisville to Youngstown. You did. I also didn't say much of what you said. All I said is that it was HISTORICALLY blue collar. Which you acknowledged is true. Historically doesn't mean current. If you need any more help with words, lemme know.

For Louisville's size, one would think there'd be more white collar jobs. It's about on par with Lexington from the significant time I spent in both cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
It's not just African americans where Louisville is so starkly different than Lex....Louisville has more of everything....gays hispanics, asians, you name it, even per capita.
Not so sure on gays. Lexington for a long time has been a huge gay city, mostly by transplants from rural KY seeking a more free lifestyle socially and culturally.

Also, I've read a lot of data on Lexington having more Asians than Louisville though the numbers were pretty similar.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:52 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
But Lexington is definitely more Southern than Louisville

Old 09-08-2016, 12:01 PM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datdude1947 View Post
Not so sure on gays. Lexington for a long time has been a huge gay city, mostly by transplants from rural KY seeking a more free lifestyle socially and culturally.

Also, I've read a lot of data on Lexington having more Asians than Louisville though the numbers were pretty similar.
When My Husband and I moved to Lexington, from Louisville my husband commented on that (not in a bad way) that he had never met so many Gay people in his life as he had in Lexington - and he is right on that, of all the places that I have lived I have never known more Gay people - Louisville does have more Gay Bars, I will give you that - but having in lived in both cities on and off for decades I will have to agree with you totally on that.

There are a large number of Asians too - so many that the last I heard since they had teachers from China and Japan, the Fayette County Schools started teaching Japanese and Chinese to some of the Elementary School students here. A coworker and I were talking about it awhile back....she said she never knew that Lexington was so international - we often had customers from England, Ireland, France, Asia - one from Germany and one from Russia....never working in Louisville for decades had I ever ran into that many people who were from that many other countries. And other states too...my husband and I were talking about it, and all our of friends and neighbors here actually hail from other states - or other town in Kentucky. Right off the top of my mind I can of people from New York, California, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Boston, Baltimore, Ohio, Indiana, Florida....it's weird because I know Louisville is a much larger city, but when I lived in Louisville practically everyone I knew actually came from Louisville....oh my one Friend's dad was transferred to Louisville from Texas - by his employer GE - she is actually the only person I can think of and I lived there over 20 years. (Wait I knew a couple people from California in Louisville,but that is it.)

Oops, I guess we have gotten off topic a bit, but had to throw my two cents in DataDude.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
When My Husband and I moved to Lexington, from Louisville my husband commented on that (not in a bad way) that he had never met so many Gay people in his life as he had in Lexington - and he is right on that, of all the places that I have lived I have never known more Gay people - Louisville does have more Gay Bars, I will give you that - but having in lived in both cities on and off for decades I will have to agree with you totally on that.

There are a large number of Asians too - so many that the last I heard since they had teachers from China and Japan, the Fayette County Schools started teaching Japanese and Chinese to some of the Elementary School students here. A coworker and I were talking about it awhile back....she said she never knew that Lexington was so international - we often had customers from England, Ireland, France, Asia - one from Germany and one from Russia....never working in Louisville for decades had I ever ran into that many people who were from that many other countries. And other states too...my husband and I were talking about it, and all our of friends and neighbors here actually hail from other states - or other town in Kentucky. Right off the top of my mind I can of people from New York, California, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Boston, Baltimore, Ohio, Indiana, Florida....it's weird because I know Louisville is a much larger city, but when I lived in Louisville practically everyone I knew actually came from Louisville....oh my one Friend's dad was transferred to Louisville from Texas - by his employer GE - she is actually the only person I can think of and I lived there over 20 years. (Wait I knew a couple people from California in Louisville,but that is it.)

Oops, I guess we have gotten off topic a bit, but had to throw my two cents in DataDude.
Thanks for input and I agree. Lexington really IS full of transient/transplant residents because of the horse industry--which exists in Louisville, too, obviously. But as OldHag noted, they are different because Central KY focuses around breeding/training and Louisville is more about racing.

Not to make super huge blanket or generalizing statements but there are a lot of people in Louisville who are indigenous to the area too and have been their entire lives--kinda the Trinity, Saint X, Male, Manual sorta cliquey-ness that goes along with the "what high school did you go to?" questioning I frequently get when visiting Louisville.

Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone in either city. These are largely based on interactions I've had. And I do agree with you about the number of people I meet in Lexington who aren't from Lexington, Cat Lady. I'm kinda alone in that respect in my closest group of friends.

Below is data from the 2010 Census, showing 2.2% Asian population in Louisville and 3.2% Asian population in Lexington.

Louisville: Louisville/Jefferson County (balance) Kentucky QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Lexington: Lexington-Fayette Kentucky QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

This is not the only place I've seen numbers that back my argument up but it's the only that I'm willing to post now. I can post more later, if needed. The larger Asian population could be influenced by the nearby Toyota plant in Georgetown.

Now I know it'll infuriate a couple of posters and I understand Louisville is 2.5 the size of Lexington (though it does feel smaller to me than most cities I've been in--which is a good thing to me) but the cities ARE somewhat similar when it comes to race and culture.

Both cities--as seen in the links--are 70% or higher in white population, though Louisville does have a significantly larger black population and was even higher prior to the Jefferson County merger. By comparison, Cincinnati is only 49% white and MUCH more racially diverse than BOTH Lexington or Louisville.

The largest group of UK alumni is in Jefferson County. This is comprised of a lot of people from rural Kentucky who have later relocated to Jefferson County. It's a very desirable place to live, so no question as to why. Also--the aforementioned obsession with college basketball, bourbon, horses. Yes, yes.

I also think there's crossover between the two cities in politics as people from Lexington AND Louisville both travel from home to work in Frankfort. The two also compete for resources and funding from Frankfort.

The final point isn't necessarily a valid comparison between the two places but it's more so a sometimes necessary reminder that the two cities are in the same state, region, etc. The skepticism that rural people have toward Louisville and returning skepticism/antagonism towards rural KY that comes out of Louisville is just silly. As is the notion that Louisville is an island, oasis or it's own state.

Last edited by datdude1947; 09-08-2016 at 12:39 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 12:35 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post

Louisville has FAR more gays than Lexington. Louisville is the 11th gayest city in the USA as 4.5% of the Metro area is gay.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/21/up...abt=0002&abg=1

It is a statistical fact that there are TENS of THOUSANDS more gays in Louisville, a dozen more gay bars, and several gay retailers, none of which you will find in Lexington. This is not to say Lexington is not gay friendly. Its just not in the same stratosphere as Louisville....and that is ok!

Your anecdotal evidence is also off. Louisville attracts more transplants than anywhere in the state

Louisville had 16,338 Asians in 2010
Lexington had 9,553.

That's a huge difference. What's more, is almost all of Lexington's Asians are affiliated with UofK. Louisville, on the other hand, attracts immigrants, and has the neighborhoods to prove it. The fact is, neither city is all that diverse by national standards, but compared to Lexington , Louisville is more diverse in every way. Again, they are not comparable.

http://oncubamagazine.com/society/cubans-in-louisville/

http://www.governing.com/topics/urba...ly-cities.html

Louisville has the fastest rising immigrant population of any major city in the US.

Listen, Lexington is a great city, but it shouldn't try to compete with its substantially larger neighbor to the west. Instead, I would like to see a coalition between the two, and to form a "super region" or regional government. I could foresee the area supporting an NBA team in Louisville that also played some games at Rupp and also gaining a couple more Fortune 500s, and perhaps advanced manufacturing....but KY does not think outside the box.

Last edited by Peter1948; 09-08-2016 at 12:51 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 12:50 PM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times
^Sorry Peter sticking with what I said....I'm Just speaking from my own personal experience and observations.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Louisville has FAR more gays than Lexington. Louisville is the 11th gayest city in the USA as 4.5% of the Metro area is gay.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/21/up...abt=0002&abg=1

It is a statistical fact that there are TENS of THOUSANDS more gays in Louisville, a dozen more gay bars, and several gay retailers, none of which you will find in Lexington. This is not to say Lexington is not gay friendly. Its just not in the same stratosphere as Louisville....and that is ok!

Your anecdotal evidence is also off. Louisville attracts more transplants than anywhere in the state

Louisville had 16,338 Asians in 2010
Lexington had 9,553.

That's a huge difference. What's more, is almost all of Lexington's Asians are affiliated with UofK. Louisville, on the other hand, attracts immigrants, and has the neighborhoods to prove it. The fact is, neither city is all that diverse by national standards, but compared to Lexington , Louisville is more diverse in every way. Again, they are not comparable.

Cubans in Louisville | OnCuba

Immigrants Establishing Roots in New Gateway Cities

Louisville has the fastest rising immigrant population of any major city in the US.

Listen, Lexington is a great city, but it shouldn't try to compete with its substantially larger neighbor to the west. Instead, I would like to see a coalition between the two, and to form a "super region" or regional government. I could foresee the area supporting an NBA team in Louisville that also played some games at Rupp and also gaining a couple more Fortune 500s, and perhaps advanced manufacturing....but KY does not think outside the box.
I think the problem with data is that it's typically polling from the 50 largest metropolitan areas...of which Lexington isn't a part of.

Even from the gay friendly NYT link you posted it says right in there "Gallup’s numbers are based on surveys of 374,325 adults across the 50 largest metropolitan areas, conducted between June 2012 and December 2014."

This doesn't refute your statements but I also think there's not much polling we can use to accurately compare Louisville and Lexington with when it comes to national polling because MOST national polling is done in larger metropolitan areas...which Lexington isn't.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:00 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
There is some thread creep going on here. If you want to civilly discuss the gay scene/populations of various Kentucky cities please start a new thread. Any future posts that focus on this will be deleted as off topic.

Additionally, Louisville has its own subforum and that would be the more appropriate place to discuss aspects that only pertain to Louisville. For that reason I have just moved Louisville traffic post to its own thread.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:03 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
It is very expensive to own a car here. The progressive tax rate makes no sense for the income levels. The roads are full of debris.

But the weather is nice save the rain storms. And, the native women are pretty...stuck up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky