Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 09:43 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
BUT some of the reasons that I would prefer to live elsewhere are some of the very reasons that many love Kentucky - the slower pace of life, the conservative and bible belt influences, the church- and family-oriented small towns. They aren't bad things, just different things.
Agreed. I am a borderline Type A-B guy and I appreciate slow pace. But, come on, when an ultimately type B walks slower than molasses or drives 25 mph under the speed limit on the highway just to "take their time" or "to show the person behind them that they need to 'slow down'," it becomes very irritating for me.

And yes, most of our small towns are very clannish and have multi-generational clusters of "family ties" that run the places. I guess this can be found anywhere when looked for, but it's more prevalent here because it's such a rural state.

Quote:
I'll never forget when I registered to vote here as a Democrat, I was actually laughed at by a clerk at the county office (since I registered at a more rural county office, I assume I really was in a minority). Personally, at its worst I would say that the towns and cities can be provincial or small-minded.
Which county do you live in? Kenton, Boone, Campbell, Whitley, Knox, Laurel, Leslie? These are the seven most predominantly Republican counties that come to my mind. Most of the rest of Kentucky is so overwhelmingly Democratic in registration, it's like "wow!" Maybe the particularly clerk or clerk's assistant you talked to was a Republican. Just know that Kentucky generally goes Democratic in local and state elections and votes Republican in federal elections, much like most of the southern tier states.

Quote:
I do think that KY, like every state, does have its unfair stereotypes. But in reality - life is different than what I am used to. Lots of people involved in outdoorsy activities - many hunters, fishermen, etc, (maybe because there is lots of beautiful land to explore). Lots of smaller towns with deep-rooted families, pride, and traditions. And yes - definitely some areas of poverty as well as areas of great wealth. And of course, when you talk about more areas where poverty is higher, you do have to deal more with issues of school drop-outs, lack of adequate health and dental care, issues of drug abuse, etc, and when it is rural it is even harder to get basic help and services to those in need.
All true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dee View Post
Kentucky has its charms like the state parks.I like to sightsee more now that I live here.I'm the same person I was in those other states still do what I like.And now I live here and its becoming my state too.
Yes, most of our state parks are gems! My personal recommendations are Kenlake (where I spent a week during many of my childhood summers,) Lake Barkley, Cumberland Falls, and Pine Mountain State Resort Parks. There are 13 other SRPs, I think. They're truly, well, gems! Every one of our 120 counties, I guarantee you, has ample sightseeing opportunities. This is a beautiful state.

I see that you've lived in Texas. I want to move there so bad. However, each place has to be accepted for what it is, and no matter where we live, we have to at least say that we have made and/or are making the best of it. Thank you for (what seems like) trying to just accept Kentucky for what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schools View Post
Lived there short time-cost of living is great (got a great house for my $$), beautiful areas out of the city, but I felt as if you weren't from there originally, something was "missing". Nice enough people (more so the other transplants I met), but definately the "good 'ole boys" network was very apparent. I thought people had to get over talking about Derby from 1/1 until it happened (yes, it was fun, but it was odd being the only topic for months). Then when Derby's over the main topic was "Jimmy John from East Nowhere Kentucky, sophmore in HS, has given a verbal committment to the Cards for basketball....." I agree w/the post that said they liked what a bigger area had to offer. Not a lot of cultural diversity either.
I can't argue with any of these points, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Things I like about Lexington & KY in general:
- Friendly people. I like the fact that when Lexingtonians say hello & smile, they actually look me in the eye when they do and mean it too!
- Low cost of living.
- No traffic (I laugh when people complain about New Circle Rd, they should see NJ's highways in rush hour)
- Great public parks and summer outdoor activities like farmers market, free musical performances, free outdoor movies, etc.
- People in general are much more open-minded than I expected.

Things I don't like about Lexington & KY in general:
1) Lack of good ethnic restaurants.
3) Limited employment opportunities.
With all due respect, graceC, I disagree with part of your list. I've never found most Lexingtonians to be cheerful and polite. In fact, many of them I've met have been quite hostile. (Of course, I'm sure compared to parts of NJ, anything is friendlier.) Furthermore, whenever I go to Lexington, I get more "below average" or "bad" service than better. Also, traffic may be a relative term in this case, but you must admit that for a city of its size, Lexington's traffic is among the worst in the region.

And, Lexington's public parks: Shillito and Jacobson have NOTHING on the expansive, wooded, historic parks that can be found in Louisville and Cincinnati. They're, in my opinion, Lexington's biggest disappointment.

As for the lack of good ethnic restaurants and limited employment, well, I can't help you there. By that, I mean that what Lexington offers in these two categories is pretty good, but I wouldn't write home about it. Frankfort, even, has Thai and Cuban restaurants that are as good or better than what Lexington offers. For employment: remember, this is Kentucky, so the job growth is neither declining nor accelerating. Most people have to just kind of rummage around and find a job to "slide into."

Last edited by EclecticEars; 02-29-2008 at 10:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 08:48 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Agreed. I am a borderline Type A-B guy and I appreciate slow pace. But, come on, when an ultimately type B walks slower than molasses or drives 25 mph under the speed limit on the highway just to "take their time" or "to show the person behind them that they need to 'slow down'," it becomes very irritating for me.

And yes, most of our small towns are very clannish and have multi-generational clusters of "family ties" that run the places. I guess this can be found anywhere when looked for, but it's more prevalent here because it's such a rural state.

Which county do you live in? Kenton, Boone, Campbell, Whitley, Knox, Laurel, Leslie? These are the seven most predominantly Republican counties that come to my mind. Most of the rest of Kentucky is so overwhelmingly Democratic in registration, it's like "wow!" Maybe the particularly clerk or clerk's assistant you talked to was a Republican. Just know that Kentucky generally goes Democratic in local and state elections and votes Republican in federal elections, much like most of the southern tier states.

All true.

Yes, most of our state parks are gems! My personal recommendations are Kenlake (where I spent a week during many of my childhood summers,) Lake Barkley, Cumberland Falls, and Pine Mountain State Resort Parks. There are 13 other SRPs, I think. They're truly, well, gems! Every one of our 120 counties, I guarantee you, has ample sightseeing opportunities. This is a beautiful state.

I see that you've lived in Texas. I want to move there so bad. However, each place has to be accepted for what it is, and no matter where we live, we have to at least say that we have made and/or are making the best of it. Thank you for (what seems like) trying to just accept Kentucky for what it is.

I can't argue with any of these points, either.

With all due respect, graceC, I disagree with part of your list. I've never found most Lexingtonians to be cheerful and polite. In fact, many of them I've met have been quite hostile. (Of course, I'm sure compared to parts of NJ, anything is friendlier.) Furthermore, whenever I go to Lexington, I get more "below average" or "bad" service than better. Also, traffic may be a relative term in this case, but you must admit that for a city of its size, Lexington's traffic is among the worst in the region.

And, Lexington's public parks: Shillito and Jacobson have NOTHING on the expansive, wooded, historic parks that can be found in Louisville and Cincinnati. They're, in my opinion, Lexington's biggest disappointment.

As for the lack of good ethnic restaurants and limited employment, well, I can't help you there. By that, I mean that what Lexington offers in these two categories is pretty good, but I wouldn't write home about it. Frankfort, even, has Thai and Cuban restaurants that are as good or better than what Lexington offers. For employment: remember, this is Kentucky, so the job growth is neither declining nor accelerating. Most people have to just kind of rummage around and find a job to "slide into."
I am sorry but did I misunderstand when you asked for other's perceptions of Kentucky as opposed to what you think of Kentucky?

Old 03-03-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I am sorry but did I misunderstand when you asked for other's perceptions of Kentucky as opposed to what you think of Kentucky?
I don't think either of us misunderstand! ...

Old 03-03-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
I don't think either of us misunderstand! ...
I guess I am just a bit confused as to why you would critique someone's answer when you asked their opinion.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:50 AM

332 posts, read 1,625,074 times
Lived there for 4 years.

#1. Way too hot and humid for my liking

#2. Conversely, winters are not snowy enough (I like my skiing and sledding . . . )

#3. Outside of Louisville (which I thought was a pretty good city) there is not a whole lot of diversity or cultural/entertainment options (not too familiar with Lexington, so maybe that might count too). While many of the smaller towns are pretty, they would just be kind of boring in the long run.

#4. Generally nice people, but could be a bit clannish in some unexpected ways. The place I worked (a federal govt agency) actually had a bunch of multigenerational families working there and could be very "tight," in ways that federal govt agencies are not supposed to be . . . Very good-ol-boy networkish.

#5. Definitely the cheapest place I've ever lived in terms of housing

#6. Was never very confident in the public education system

#7. Very politically and religiously conservative

#8. It is very pretty country.

#9. Seemed more racially tolerant than I expected.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:40 PM

42 posts, read 116,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I guess I am just a bit confused as to why you would critique someone's answer when you asked their opinion.
con·ver·sa·tion [kon-ver-sey-shuhn]
–noun
1. informal interchange of thoughts, information, etc., by spoken words; oral communication between persons; talk; colloquy.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowdy_Pants View Post
con·ver·sa·tion [kon-ver-sey-shuhn]
–noun
1. informal interchange of thoughts, information, etc., by spoken words; oral communication between persons; talk; colloquy.
Very cute. I am just saying that I thought the idea was that people would give what they think without the original poster critiquing them is all.

Last edited by missymomof3; 03-04-2008 at 04:04 PM..

Old 03-11-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
Lived there for 4 years.

#1. Way too hot and humid for my liking

#2. Conversely, winters are not snowy enough (I like my skiing and sledding . . . )

#3. Outside of Louisville (which I thought was a pretty good city) there is not a whole lot of diversity or cultural/entertainment options (not too familiar with Lexington, so maybe that might count too). While many of the smaller towns are pretty, they would just be kind of boring in the long run.

#4. Generally nice people, but could be a bit clannish in some unexpected ways. The place I worked (a federal govt agency) actually had a bunch of multigenerational families working there and could be very "tight," in ways that federal govt agencies are not supposed to be . . . Very good-ol-boy networkish.

#5. Definitely the cheapest place I've ever lived in terms of housing

#6. Was never very confident in the public education system

#7. Very politically and religiously conservative

#8. It is very pretty country.

#9. Seemed more racially tolerant than I expected.
I agree with you on points #3 greatly, #4 somewhat generally, #5 generally, #6 greatly, #7 generally, #8 greatly, and #9 greatly. I disagree with you on #1 and #2; I think the weather is very inconsistent, and while I don't mind snow every once in a "blue moon," I would like to live in a climate with more consistently weather and that is hotter. Just last month, we had rain, snow, sleet, freezing rain, overcast skies, 65-degree sunshine, thunderstorms, tornadoes, and straight-line heavy winds--in the same month! I'm willing to live in humidity so I can embrace mild winters in a place like Houston, Atlanta, or San Antonio.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:30 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
That is strange since KY is over 75% Democrat, even though they tend to vote Republican.

I was thinking the same thing. This has been a Democratic state much more than a Republican one. Although there are counties that have been Republican forever.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:54 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
2) Lack of fresh seafood, I mean the salt water deep sea seafood kinds like pompano, snapper, live crabs, etc.
You did notice that Kentucky is not on or near the ocean, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky