Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 07:32 AM

149 posts, read 185,510 times

Advertisements

We retired and moved to Western Kentucky about 9 months ago, and couldn't be happier. We actually were "part-time" residents as we purchased our home a year before actually moving down here and used it for vacations, etc.
We relocated from upstate NY, and lived in CA for a couple of years back in the late 70's.

We absolutely love it down here, we are living in a small town with really nice folks. Everyone we've come in contact with seems to be very welcoming. I think the key to relocating to any place is to realize why you chose that particular place. Understanding that you are moving to a place that has had traditions that were formed over Generations, and accepting those traditions. I can only speak for myself when I say the reasons we left NY are exactly what does not exist (or to a way lesser degree!) in KY. I have no intentions of trying to change anything down here.

I tell my Wife EVERY DAY how happy I am that we made this move. Kentucky is our new home, and we couldn't be happier!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 08:01 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMan73 View Post
We retired and moved to Western Kentucky about 9 months ago, and couldn't be happier. We actually were "part-time" residents as we purchased our home a year before actually moving down here and used it for vacations, etc.
We relocated from upstate NY, and lived in CA for a couple of years back in the late 70's.

We absolutely love it down here, we are living in a small town with really nice folks. Everyone we've come in contact with seems to be very welcoming. I think the key to relocating to any place is to realize why you chose that particular place. Understanding that you are moving to a place that has had traditions that were formed over Generations, and accepting those traditions. I can only speak for myself when I say the reasons we left NY are exactly what does not exist (or to a way lesser degree!) in KY. I have no intentions of trying to change anything down here.

I tell my Wife EVERY DAY how happy I am that we made this move. Kentucky is our new home, and we couldn't be happier!!
I'm happy to see this post. I haven't moved to Kentucky yet but plan to do so and am leaning towards Western Kentucky specifically Mayfield or Madisonville. I see many posts about the northern, central and even eastern part of the state but not many about the west.
My top priorities are affordability, small town atmosphere with a slower pace of life and low crime rates or at least not above average. A nice walkable downtown would be icing on the cake. Your post is encouraging.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:15 AM

marino760,
Mayfield pretty much ticks off all of your boxes. We actually moved to Mayfield. We find it is exactly what we expected it to be. It has everything you need, but still has that small town feel. Every time we encounter something or someone that is connected somehow to another, we laugh and remind ourselves that "this is Mayfield, small town", everything is connected 1 way or the other.
It is close and convenient to loads of other things, like the lakes and LBL, TN, MO, the list goes on and on.
Like I said we remind ourselves every day how happy we are with our decision.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:25 AM

270 posts, read 273,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
To those of you that are not Kentucky natives but have moved here, what do you think of our Commonwealth? Be polite, but also be 100% honest with the great, good, mediocre, bad, and ugly elements of this state, as you see them (i.e. - people, politics, hospitality, culture, terrain, education, weather, job market, economy, quality of life, healthcare, whatever factors you want to throw in.)

Are you glad you moved here? Or, do you regret it? Would you live anywhere else? Or, do you see yourself spending a lifetime as a Kentuckian? Where all have you lived in the past?

I'm a native Kentuckian, but find that many of our friendliest residents are indeed transplants. I guess it's because they have an understanding of what other places are like (for better or worse) and really want to make the most of their Kentucky experience (such as making friends.) So, I'm just curious. Thanks!

By the way, I KNOW I'm bound to get a lot of Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, and California. We seem to be drawing the biggest numbers of transplants from those four states.
People are polite, but not necessarily nice. Lots of attitude depending on the business I'm dealing with. Dating has been the worst in my life and that has never been an issue before moving here. It seems in general if you aren't from here or know someone that's from here and taken in by them, it's hard to meet people. Every "friend" and I use that term very loosely has been from out of state. People from here aren't very friendly. I'm from California, have lived in Japan, Tennessee, Florida, and Utah and KY has been the worst on my social life. Healthcare is pretty good though and the weather is better than Tennessee.

I would prefer California, but money talks. In no way can I see myself here for the rest of my life.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:51 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
I would agree with most of that, except the part about health care. In our experience, health care here is terrible. The staff in the doctor's offices tend to be poorly trained, unmotivated, unprofessional, and downright inept. There's not much difference between the medical office staff and the cashiers at the local Kroger. My wife is disabled, and needs a lot of medical care, and we go to Cincinnati or Nashville for most of it. Just driving across the river into Cincinnati is like driving 20 years into the future in terms of quality of care.

Examples, just off the top of my head: Call the doctor's office on a Friday about some test results that were due back that day. Phone keeps going to the answering service. Finally asked the lady at the answering service why the phone keeps ringing over to them. "Oh, they probably just forgot to turn their phones on. Happens sometimes." Called dozens of times throughout the day, never got through. Had to wait until following week.

Finally got through and asked about the test results. "Oh, they're normal." Can you send a copy? "Sure, we'll e-mail it." Check the test results. Nothing normal about it at all - tests showed a potentially very serious problem, but further tests are needed to determine whether it is a potentially lethal condition. Called back and was told that since the results did not specifically say my wife definitely had the potentially lethal condition, the person reading us the results decided that meant everything was normal. Had we not learned long ago to get copies of everything and read them very thoroughly, we never would have known.

Different doctor - have to see them about every 3 or 4 weeks, and in the last year only one time has the appointment time on the card they gave us matched up with the appointment time they entered into the computer. We go in and say, "Hi. we're here for an 11:00 appointment." They frown at the computer and say, "Oh, I'm sorry, we had you down for 1:30." We just hand them the card that says "11:00" in their handwriting and go sit down with a magazine while they rearrange their schedule. Sometimes they even have the wrong date - the 4th instead of the 14th, for example. Maybe if they didn't spend so much time texting and watching cat videos on their cellphones, this wouldn't be so difficult for them to get right. If they're screwing that one up so regularly, what else are they dropp9ing the ball on?

Different doctor again - call with a question about some test results... ask what this particular paragraph means. Person to whom call was transferred says, "Mm.... I don't know." OK, is there someone there who does know? "Mmm... I'm not sure." Well, can you find out? "Mmmm.... yeah, hold on a minute please." Finally, after holding for several minutes, get through to an adult who understands that when a patient is calling with a question about an important test result, "I don't know" is not an acceptable answer.

I could go on with a half dozen others just like it, but there's no point. They're all going to get attacked by the "Kentucky Proud" apologists anyway. Point is, the medical care in Kentucky is probably fine unless you're sick, at which point it's mediocre compared to neighboring states. Kentucky typically ranks anywhere from the bottom half to the bottom quarter in national health care system grades, and I suspect most of it has to do with the fact that there's not much emphasis on excellence here. "Good enough is good enough" is Kentucky's state motto, and that doesn't make for good outcomes in health care.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:18 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm happy to see this post. I haven't moved to Kentucky yet but plan to do so and am leaning towards Western Kentucky specifically Mayfield or Madisonville. I see many posts about the northern, central and even eastern part of the state but not many about the west.
My top priorities are affordability, small town atmosphere with a slower pace of life and low crime rates or at least not above average. A nice walkable downtown would be icing on the cake. Your post is encouraging.
Marino, if you pick Mayfield, just let me and MoMan know when you're settled in and we'll fire up the grill, and sit around and visit!

Old 05-11-2016, 09:59 PM

Absolutely! Gman and I have been known to get together for some "grillin' & chillin'"!!

Old 05-15-2016, 10:53 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
People are polite, but not necessarily nice. Lots of attitude depending on the business I'm dealing with. Dating has been the worst in my life and that has never been an issue before moving here. It seems in general if you aren't from here or know someone that's from here and taken in by them, it's hard to meet people. Every "friend" and I use that term very loosely has been from out of state. People from here aren't very friendly. I'm from California, have lived in Japan, Tennessee, Florida, and Utah and KY has been the worst on my social life. Healthcare is pretty good though and the weather is better than Tennessee.

I would prefer California, but money talks. In no way can I see myself here for the rest of my life.
Kentucky is difficult to crack if you're not a native. Extremely difficult. And, I say this as a native who still never felt like I "cracked" it.

California is wonderful. I've lived in or near the following cities: San Francisco, Modesto (current), Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego.
  • I liked San Francisco, except for the hyper-introspective, standoffish people, but it's one of the great cities of the world. Incredible food and hiking. Hyper-feminism also runs amuck there, which makes the dating scene more difficult than even Kentucky, IMO. At least Kentucky women have some personality generally, even if they are cliquish and get married by 25!
  • Modesto offers a reasonable cost of living and close proximity to SF and Sacramento, but it does get boring.
  • Los Angeles is my favorite of the five, truly a world-class (and underappreciated) city that deserves to be mentioned in the same breath with New York, London, Shanghai, Sao Paulo, etc. as being a world hub of commerce, industry, trade, finance, and good ol' urban energy. I could spend a lifetime exploring the area either west or east of the 5 Freeway.
  • Orange County has many great accolades, though I like north OC better than south OC for its more down-to-Earth people. I went to grad school in south OC, but enjoyed visiting the downtowns or cultural enclaves (e.g., Garden Grove, Westminster, Santa Ana, Fullerton, etc.) of north OC.
  • San Diego was the only city of the five I disliked living in. Couldn't stand the culture, people, and the fact that I was paying the same to live there as in LA or OC, but with far less "bang for the buck." In fact, I previously ranked Louisville as my least favorite city I had lived in, but now San Diego has taken that spot.

I'm moving back to L.A. soon. God willing, I'll spend at least the rest of my 30s in L.A. And, that's several years to go!

Barring a difficult financial situation, critical illness among immediate family, or looking for a cheaper place to retire in 30 years, I have no interest in coming back to Kentucky. I do wish I were visiting right now, though, as I remember spring fondly.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:49 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
It's odd how we see the same two states and have very different opinions, but we are all diverse and that's what makes the world interesting.
I live in CA and would like nothing better than to leave for numerous reasons, but most of all, I've grown to feel like I no longer belong here. Don't get me wrong, CA is probably the most beautiful and diverse state in this country. Growing up here, I loved it. I felt comfortable and welcome. As I've become older (I'm not ancient) I no longer feel like this is my state. I'm rather conservative in my views and I think that's why I feel the way I do. I no longer feel comfortable driving into Los Angeles due to the horrendous traffic and and crime. I lived in San Diego when I was younger and absolutely loved it! My brothers live in Laguna Hills in Orange County and I love that area too but like San Diego, I have zero chance of ever being able to afford living there.
On the other hand, I've visited Kentucky a few times and have been to the Louisville area, Lexington, Frankfort, been to Mammoth Caves National Park and seen the Cumberland falls in Eastern Kentucky. I loved every minute of it and have never felt more welcome anywhere I've traveled. I love the Southern culture, the food, the people in general. I told myself if I could ever get out of CA, it would be to Kentucky. I'm still a few years away from retiring but have put the wheels in motion, so I can live there for the remainder of my life.
I realize visiting is different than living somewhere but I want nothing more than to find the right small town, buy my little house and hopefully have the slower life style and community I've been wanting. I don't need to go to a Dodgers game, a big name concert or the Griffith Park Observatory to be happy. I know I won't be a native to Kentucky, and I'll have a funny CA accent, but I hope people will accept me and if they don't that's ok too. I don't expect a lot from other people and I realize I will be the stranger in town. I won't expect others to bend over backward to be immediate friends with me and go out of there way to accept me. If I can even get an occasional smile and hand wave from the local community I'll be most content. Good friends will come with time. I have no doubt about that.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:30 PM

112 posts, read 381,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's odd how we see the same two states and have very different opinions, but we are all diverse and that's what makes the world interesting.
I live in CA and would like nothing better than to leave for numerous reasons, but most of all, I've grown to feel like I no longer belong here. Don't get me wrong, CA is probably the most beautiful and diverse state in this country. Growing up here, I loved it. I felt comfortable and welcome. As I've become older (I'm not ancient) I no longer feel like this is my state. I'm rather conservative in my views and I think that's why I feel the way I do. I no longer feel comfortable driving into Los Angeles due to the horrendous traffic and and crime. I lived in San Diego when I was younger and absolutely loved it! My brothers live in Laguna Hills in Orange County and I love that area too but like San Diego, I have zero chance of ever being able to afford living there.
On the other hand, I've visited Kentucky a few times and have been to the Louisville area, Lexington, Frankfort, been to Mammoth Caves National Park and seen the Cumberland falls in Eastern Kentucky. I loved every minute of it and have never felt more welcome anywhere I've traveled. I love the Southern culture, the food, the people in general. I told myself if I could ever get out of CA, it would be to Kentucky. I'm still a few years away from retiring but have put the wheels in motion, so I can live there for the remainder of my life.
I realize visiting is different than living somewhere but I want nothing more than to find the right small town, buy my little house and hopefully have the slower life style and community I've been wanting. I don't need to go to a Dodgers game, a big name concert or the Griffith Park Observatory to be happy. I know I won't be a native to Kentucky, and I'll have a funny CA accent, but I hope people will accept me and if they don't that's ok too. I don't expect a lot from other people and I realize I will be the stranger in town. I won't expect others to bend over backward to be immediate friends with me and go out of there way to accept me. If I can even get an occasional smile and hand wave from the local community I'll be most content. Good friends will come with time. I have no doubt about that.
My wife & I grew up & lived in South Dakota for 30 years, then we both accepted jobs in CA and moved in 1988. Lived in Riverside & Elk Grove for a few years, then moved up north to a tiny town in the foothills above Chico and lived there for 21 years (total of 26+ yrs in CA). Like you we are both pretty conservative, hated the big cities, hated the high taxes & "fees" and paying a buck a gallon more for gas & diesel than the rest of the country. It seemed like 50% of the local folks were growing pot illegally or had a 215 card and it smelled like skunk half the year from all the "gardens". We decided to take an early retirement & escape from CA before they locked the gates to prevent the mass exodus that is currently underway.

We spent a lot of time researching which state is the best for retirees. KY kept coming up at or near the top of the list most of the time. So, in the fall of 2014 we flew into Nashville, rented a car, drove the short distance to KY & started looking at some homes that we had previewed on the internet. Escrow closed on the KY home that we selected in Nov. 2014 & we put our CA home up for sale & arrived in KY in July 2015.

So far, no major regrets or complaints. The winter was a bit colder than we had expected & there are more storms than we were used to, (OK, 5 acres of lawn is sort of a pain to mow every week) but so far, that's it. The local folks are very friendly. They are always waving or they toot their horn as they drive by & I have no clue who they are. The service guys from AT&T, Direct TV & the UPS delivery guy gave us their personal cell phone numbers in case we needed to contact them. We are in a small town and many of the businesses have been here forever. That makes it nice for when you need a reference for an electrician, or a plumber or HVAC guy. They are a pretty close knit bunch and they try to steer you toward who will treat you right.

Utilities here in this area are very reasonable. Our water bill is about 1/3 of what it was in CA & we can use water! Propane is about a buck a gallon cheaper, earlier this year, gas dropped to $1.42 a gallon, but is now back up to $2.00, electricity is about 4-5 cents per KWH cheaper than CA. You'll be pretty darn happy with the price of your auto registration and how simple it is compared to CA DMV. There was no waiting in line at the county clerks office. They filled out some papers and sent me to the Sheriffs office to have the VIN's verified. Since I had so many vehicles (7 total) the deputy followed me out to the house to verify the remaining 6 vehicles instead of driving each one to his office. (That would NEVER happen in CA!) A few minutes later, I headed back to the clerks office with the completed paperwork and 15 minutes later I had all new plates in my hand. Also NO smog check! New KY drivers license....literally it was in my wallet in less than 10 minutes (the plastic license, not a paper temporary)! Want to get a CCW permit or buy a new rifle or handgun? Piece of cake.

Property prices are very reasonable as are the property taxes. Sales tax is 6%, but 0 on most of your grocery items. If you are receiving a gov't pension, you are exempt from the state income tax on it up to $41,000 for each individual.

I will admit, I miss the predictability of the CA weather year round and the warmer winters, but I don't think there is anything or anyone that could convince me to move back.

So, if you are thinking about moving, come back out here & look around some more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky