Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 09:04 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Oh, I'm really sorry. I got that completely wrong.

It's an interesting subject, though. The terms "liberal" and "conservative" almost have unique meanings in Kentucky. I have a lot of friends up in the mountains who are lifelong democrats, and have the strangest blend of social and political principles one could imagine. For example, most of them think gays are sinners of the worst kind, bound to burn in hell for all eternity - but if a gay's car broke down on the road in front of their house, they'd bring him in, feed him, make a bed for him, and the next morning fix his car for him. And if they couldn't fix it, they'd drive him 30 miles into town after feeding him breakfast. And they would see absolutely no contradiction in that scenario - in fact, they would be offended and probably think there was something wrong with you if you were confused by it.

Strange place, in many ways. Mostly very good people, but the labels that people are accustomed to using often don't apply at all. Folks in these parts make up their own labels for themselves, and they pick and choose what does and does not go on that label. It takes a while to understand, but it's worth the time and effort.
LOL - I see you have met a few of my relatives.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:22 AM

20 posts, read 22,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
If your mom lives in Lexington why was she driving with California plates? What on Earth made her decide to move from LA to racist, bigoted, conservative Lexington, KY? I might understand Louisville since you live there and you believe it is at least not as bad as the rest of Kentucky. I guess I am just surprised since San Diego, where apparently your parents were contemplating retiring to about a year ago, would seem like such a better fit.
You know, I always wonder why people who are aware that area has a culture they intensely dislike would choose to go ahead with moving there anyway. I suppose for you law school acceptance with its temporary commitment to the area was a motivator, but what motivated your mother? It's not as if you have expressed any desire to remain here, matter of fact I would venture to say you have made it clear you have no intention whatsoever of staying.

Seriously, everything else aside, I would love to know what would cause a person in their 60's to choose to uproot their lives by leaving a place they are comfortable with in order to settle in a place they think is inferior.
A silly statement, certainly you're making in jest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datdude1947 View Post
A silly statement, certainly you're making in jest?
It was based on this exchange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, actually. She got out of her car and yelled at her for having CA plates. I don't remember the exact quotes my mom relayed to me, but it involved things like "you f***ing Californians ruin everything you liberal POS. GTFO of my state and go back to your liberal hell hole. You don't belong here. FU I'd come in there and mess you up if I didn't have my baby in the car with me right now."
Dude....

So this Kentucky lady, with her baby in the backseat of the car, was cruising some parking lot looking for people from liberal states to harass and your poor mother had the misfortune to be innocently sitting in her properly parked car, ripe for the picking? Was she wearing her Daisy Dukes with a cigarette dangling from her lips while her baby drank coke instead of milk from her bottle?

I'm not going to say I don't believe you but it kind of reminds me of the vibe I got when Susan Smith described a black carjacker, wearing a knit hat in the middle of a sweltering August heat wave, who made her get out of the car and drove off with her two little boys. It's like some bad movie script that takes stereotypes to such an extreme that it no longer seems probable in reality to most reasonable people.
Lol yeah because I would just totally make that up. I love when people on this forum don't like something they instantly think it was made up.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I know that was directed for Old Hag, but I wanted to chime in.

Well, it doesn't mean the story wasn't true...but it sounds strange, I live here and have never remotely had anything like that happen. I probably know more Liberal people than conservative people here, and have had several friends that have relocated from California, and that is the first time I have ever heard a story like that.

You said it was what your your Mother relayed to you - so you weren't there, right? I was thinking maybe your Mom doesn't like you living here and maybe embellished a bit...because she wanted you to move back or whatever. (It sounds like something my MIL would do, lol!)
Nope. My mom lives in Lex. Yeah it is an insane story and if it wasn't my mom that it happened to, I might think it was embellished at least a bit, but I know my mom, and that's not something she would do.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
It was based on this exchange.
I understand and followed the story. I just thought blanketing the town of Lexington as bigoted, racist and conservative is a little misleading from a moderator on here. Even if it was made tongue in cheek, which I think it was. Someone needs to invent sarcasm font.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datdude1947 View Post
I understand and followed the story. I just thought blanketing the town of Lexington as bigoted, racist and conservative is a little misleading from a moderator on here. Even if it was made tongue in cheek, which I think it was. Someone needs to invent sarcasm font.
No way! Although it definitely isn't bad where I live now, Lexington is actually a pretty progress city which has less racial problems than anyplace I've been other than military bases. That's among the reasons I get so tired of the stereotypes.

I agree about the sarcasm font.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:04 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
I don't really disagree with most of your recent posts in this thread, but I have to challenge this one. You're arguing that Kentucky is not as conservative as many people say it is, and supporting your argument by pointing out that there are many more registered Democrats than Republicans. And you're using Kim Davis as an example to prove your point.

Problem is, Kim Davis proves exactly the opposite point. Unless you're going to argue that a homophobic bible-thumping bigot like Kim Davis is some new species of liberal, she is living proof that in Kentucky, party affiliation does not necessarily correlate to liberal/conservative ideology. Democrats in Kentucky tend to be much more socially conservative than Democrats in most other parts of the country, and even more conservative than Republicans in some areas

Sorry, but I can't agree - Louisville is not "very progressive" at all. It's very progressive compared to most of the rest of Kentucky, but not when compared to truly liberal areas of the country. "Accepting," yeah - I can't argue too much with that. People in this part of the country tend to be very self-sufficient, with a libertarian, "ain't none of my business" thang goin' on, and in my experience that does seem to translate into a surprisingly strong tradition of acceptance for such a conservative area.

Your reference to the gay population and the number of mosques certainly has some significance, and I won't discount it. But I don't think it's as significant as you think it is. I think it's more a measure of the "acceptance" factor than the "progressive" factor. Every state in the country is going to have a certain number of gays and a certain number of muslims, and they all have to live somewhere. It makes sense that large numbers of them would concentrate in whatever part of the state is most welcoming and accepting of them, and for Kentucky, that's Louisville. But Louisville is still much more socially conservative than most similarly-sized northern, west coast, or eastern cities.
You sir, are very wrong here. You clearly do not live inside the Watterson in Louisville. This is one of the most liberal bastions in interior America. Louisville is every bit as progressive as say, Salt Lake City, Richmond, or Providence, 3 cities very similar in size and populace on the coasts. All three have progressive, diverse, and accepting cores, and very conservative suburbs.

You clearly have not spent enough time in the urban parts of Louisville. Heck, just look at voting trends and liberal political signs in folks yards. I agree, Louisville suburbs, exurbs, and bedroom communities are conservative...but so are similar areas of Philly or even Miami! It's just that Louisville these areas are found 10 miles from downtown, and in Philly, it is 30.

Steve Kaufman interviews Dr. Dewey Clayton: Why Louisville is a liberal blue island in an ultra-conservative Red State - Insider Louisville

Louisville is literally NOTHING like the state of KY when it comes to politics and liberalness. That is why Louisville is a top 12 per capita gay center in the entire USA!

Old 09-03-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
You sir, are very wrong here. You clearly do not live inside the Watterson in Louisville. This is one of the most liberal bastions in interior America. Louisville is every bit as progressive as say, Salt Lake City, Richmond, or Providence, 3 cities very similar in size and populace on the coasts. All three have progressive, diverse, and accepting cores, and very conservative suburbs.

You clearly have not spent enough time in the urban parts of Louisville. Heck, just look at voting trends and liberal political signs in folks yards. I agree, Louisville suburbs, exurbs, and bedroom communities are conservative...but so are similar areas of Philly or even Miami! It's just that Louisville these areas are found 10 miles from downtown, and in Philly, it is 30.

Steve Kaufman interviews Dr. Dewey Clayton: Why Louisville is a liberal blue island in an ultra-conservative Red State - Insider Louisville

Louisville is literally NOTHING like the state of KY when it comes to politics and liberalness. That is why Louisville is a top 12 per capita gay center in the entire USA!
Just about every single Kentuckian I know, regardless of where they live in the state or whether they consider that a good thing or a bad thing, would agree with the bolded.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:44 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,489,236 times
The difference between Louisville and Lexington politically is pretty small, amounting to a couple percentage points in presidential elections. People also forgot the third Kentucky county went for Obama both times: Franklin. Louisville also isn't the only place in Kentucky to have a significant non White population. Even the tiny town in Eastern Kentucky where my dad grew up is 35% Black. For some reason people in most states feel that have to hate on their state's largest city.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
No way! Although it definitely isn't bad where I live now, Lexington is actually a pretty progress city which has less racial problems than anyplace I've been other than military bases. That's among the reasons I get so tired of the stereotypes.

I agree about the sarcasm font.
I thought so. Haha! Just clarifying.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The difference between Louisville and Lexington politically is pretty small, amounting to a couple percentage points in presidential elections. People also forgot the third Kentucky county went for Obama both times: Franklin. Louisville also isn't the only place in Kentucky to have a significant non White population. Even the tiny town in Eastern Kentucky where my dad grew up is 35% Black. For some reason people in most states feel that have to hate on their state's largest city.
I agree with all your points. The only thing I may disagree with is that there are more liberals in Louisville--but Louisville has more of being a much larger city. Louisville is also historically blue collar so there still some pretty loud conservatives, too. I would say overall they are very similar, politically.

I live in a predominantly black neighborhood in Lexington though it's changing some, which has good and bad attached with it. I'm curious which town in Eastern KY you're referring to. Most of Eastern Kentucky that I know is white. Having said that, my black neighbor is from Harlan. I'd never met a black person from Harlan Co before. No insult to folks from there, obviously. I love the natural land of SEKY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky